IAC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.8

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IAC (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

First Round: HR Screen. Basic resume questions.
    Second Round: Hiring Manager Phone Interview. Basic Resume. Why IAC. Why product management. How will your skills contribute to this position.
    Skype Interview: Three Rounds.
    Round 1: With Sr.Product Manager: How will you release a product with a specific time frame, given the challenges which feature will you release first. Describe steps. What will you do to improve it.
    Round 2: With Senior Data Scientist: How will you test a website and different ways to test website's success rates and efficiency.
    Round 3: Engineering Manager: Basic resume questions.

Rejection the next day via Email. Decent Experience. I had a feeling I would have performed better had been an onsite interview at NYC.

Advice to people: Research the company and the products. Read the job description. One good this about the HR was she gave a complete schedule on who will interview me and they did not deviate. Research each interviewer on LinkedIn, get information on their current work(if possible) and relate it to your job description and prepare accordingly. If you fail, fight again, never lose hope.

QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newyork, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IAC (Newyork, Scotland (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

interview was technical they checked the basics of six sigma, various quality control practices, about the audit procedures and main emphasis on lean management. Most quality control techniques such as control charts, failure mode effective analysis and documentations. Also the knowledge regarding the environmental policy in Uk .

Interview Questions

• What lean management project did i executed in my workspace and why only that project.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negotiate on the basic salary if you have an experience.

Product Manager, Search - Ask Partner Network Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IAC (Oakland, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

After initial contact with a Mindspark recruiter and many back and forths, took a month and a half from initial phone screens with hiring manager to schedule interviews. The phone interviews went amazingly well, and there was apparent chemistry and fit, so the team decided to invite for a face to face in Cali. Onsite interview consisted of meeting with several engineers, product managers, partner alliance managers, and the product management exec, although one of people from the phone interview was traveling and couldn't make it. The HR person onsite was very nice and welcoming, willing to show around and talk about the area, commute, culture. Office location was nice, inside consists of a cube farm, but very accessible by public transit and in the center of Oakland. The interviews were typical tech interviews, most of them thought probing and looking for thought process, reasoning analysis, big picture thinking, and framework consistency. Some of the interviews were 2:1, which is a bit intimidating, where the two persons asked me to take a laptop and rank my skills in order of experience and importance to the job. Another interviewer seemed very set on a particular solution she had in mind and would not settle for the justification to an alternative answer because evidently (I found out after) it competed or was in conflict with one of the big bets the company is making. There was disagreement between some of the interviewers about the culture; the product team claimed it was start-uppy and fast-paced (although long dev cycles and slow to make changes) and talked about the evolution from search but was not too knowledgeable overall about search itself (more so about partner network, tools) or the larger IAC organization -- seemed a bit disparate; the engineers were complaining that they have no say in the process. It seemed like the company is struggling with its pace. The product management exec did seem very passionate and the most knowledgeable. At the end of the interview day, the exec walked me down to the lobby. There was no follow-up on the interview in the next couple months, so safe to assume, they've moved on, but feedback would have been common courtesy, even just to know how to shape it next time and improve and what exactly went wrong.

Interview Questions

• How would you monetize Wikipedia?   1 Answer
    • How would you decide what search features (e.g., Q&A, images) to prioritize on a mobile device?   1 Answer
    • Rank skills in order of priority you think is necessary to succeed in this job.   1 Answer
    • What are some revenue models outside of advertising you can think of for Ask.com?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IAC (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I'll go into the details but off the bat I want to say that my negative experience was mostly with their talent recruiter. The interview with the team itself was great.

It started back in November of 2016. I was contacted by an internal talent rep on LinkedIn. Had a 45 min call with her shortly after that where she spoke 95% of the time. I could barely interject to speak about my background and what I was looking for. It was clear to me already that she was just looking for a seat to fill and as if she read off a script but she did have energy. She told me about a role on the IAC Apps team then after a month and a half and me sending at least 4 follow up emails I was told that that role didn't exist any more but there was another team looking for a Marketing Manager so we moved forward with that. Finally had a video interview with the director in January which went well and lead to scheduling an in-person almost 3 hour interview with the director, two other marketing managers, and the GM of the brand in January. All of them were great. The director had a few more behavioral questions than I was expecting but overall good experience and good vibes.

3 weeks after my in person interview and after several follow ups I had finally got a call from the talent rep about an update verbally giving me an offer in early February. I asked to negotiate the salary and she said she'd get back to me by Monday the latest (this happened on Friday evening). Monday passes, no update. Tuesday comes and she asks to schedule a quick chat that she had to reschedule twice in that day. We end up speaking at the end of the work day and its as if the Friday conversation never happened so I had to reiterate my salary negotiation - this was very upsetting and a very poor reflection. I'll also say that she gave me the same story both Friday and Tuesday - a lot of fluff about how the team really liked me and this is such a great company and a generous offer etc etc. If you know your self worth in the market place you don't fall for those traps. I'm not sure if she actually forgot or thought I wasn't a marketer because I saw right through her fluff. IMO she dropped the ball because what happened next was truly unprofessional and resulted in an extremely negative experience with the company.

She came back to me on Thursday evening with the offer in writing this time in which the team accepted my negotiated salary (yay!). I told her I would review the entire package including the benefits before confirming my acceptance but asked what their expected start date was and she said the standard two weeks. My situation was unique because I had to stay at my current job for 8 weeks to cash out on vested stock. Granted this is out of the standard two weeks - I'll also add that there wasn't any urgency with the start date as far as I knew since we had started these conversations in November and it was now February. Normally a company would offer to pay out on the stock if they wanted someone to start earlier. The backlash that I got and yes I'm calling it backlash because the tone in the emails from the talent recruiter was as if I ruined her life - ok I'm being dramatic but she basically told me the team was looking for someone to start sooner than that and why didn't I say something sooner - Funny... since I could hardly get in contact with her and I had to hound her for any updates and she barely listened to what I would say and loved to hear herself talk anytime we did speak. I think she was more so trying to cover for herself and blame me for this "late" start date where she should have asked the very basic question from the beginning "when can you start?" hint: she never asked me. And the excruciatingly slow process made me believe I wouldn't need to tell them since I had no clue if I was even getting the job.

Long story short: I was looking forward to joining the team and had even declined to move forward with other career opportunities in anticipation of working with them. I was willing to join sooner to accommodate the team's needs but it seemed the company was unable to assist my financial loss which was the result of a start date they insisted on, so I was forced to decline the offer.

Overall: the company seems great lots of different brands, good marketing budgets, good benefits.
    Make sure you are very clear with the talent reps throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions

• have you ever been in a situation where you had a conflict with other teams? what happened and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IAC (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview process with a simple first it was an interview with a recruiter work for the company later that day it was a interview with one of the engineers to be later be invited for the process takes about a week

Interview Questions

• Basic technical questions like what is polymorphism
      Information about my resume
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IAC.

Interview

Phone interview followed by on site. The process was smooth and they treated me very well on site. I was interviewed by 4 to 5 engineers with questions varying from design to coding. Within the next 3 days I was given an offer. Negotiation was pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to design a restaurant reservation system.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IAC (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

friendly staff, efficient HR. first phone interview by HR department. A week later received a call to come in for an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of meeting with my direct manager then my second in-person interview consisted of meeting with a direct colleague.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a solution you found for a problem? what is your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Manager FP&A (Financial Planning and Analysis) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hollywood, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IAC (West Hollywood, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was very happy to be contacted for the Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis opportunity within their CityGrid media group of IAC.

I saw the position posted on LinkedIn and indeed and applied directly through The IAC website. I received an email a week or so later from a human resources representative asking that I give her a call. I called the same day.

To my surprise the recruiter was hostile and overly aggressive. When I called the company the recruited greeted me with "Are you currently working?!!! "Tell me your salary history for every job you've had!!!"

I asked her if we could table that part of the conversation and discuss the duties of the role. She refused and became louder and more irate. Concluding with " if you won't give me your salary history were done for today and I will not be forwarding your resume to the hiring manager."

The call was just weird and disturbing,

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IAC (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

was connected through a recruiter who places the hiring manager, very personable team

Interview Questions

• solid engineer test, some white boarding and design challanges   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty straight forward and depending on experience

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

The beginning of the interview process was an email grapevine first through general contact, then through HR, then through a lower departmental executive and eventually ending with the Marketing Manager. I applied through non-traditional manners and won the interview with good email decorum. There was one phone interview, one interview with the head of the department, and one with my potential manager. HR was incredibly kind and helpful. With IAC being an internet company, QUICK responses to emails helped.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Hours and pre-arranged off-days were very flexible. The internship was unpaid.