IAC Interview Questions in Oakland, CA | Glassdoor

IAC Interview Questions in Oakland, CA

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IAC (Oakland, CA).

Interview

1 phone interview followed by a programming test
    This was followed by about 4-5 in-person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would design a browser   1 Answer

Product Manager, Search - Ask Partner Network Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IAC (Oakland, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

After initial contact with a Mindspark recruiter and many back and forths, took a month and a half from initial phone screens with hiring manager to schedule interviews. The phone interviews went amazingly well, and there was apparent chemistry and fit, so the team decided to invite for a face to face in Cali. Onsite interview consisted of meeting with several engineers, product managers, partner alliance managers, and the product management exec, although one of people from the phone interview was traveling and couldn't make it. The HR person onsite was very nice and welcoming, willing to show around and talk about the area, commute, culture. Office location was nice, inside consists of a cube farm, but very accessible by public transit and in the center of Oakland. The interviews were typical tech interviews, most of them thought probing and looking for thought process, reasoning analysis, big picture thinking, and framework consistency. Some of the interviews were 2:1, which is a bit intimidating, where the two persons asked me to take a laptop and rank my skills in order of experience and importance to the job. Another interviewer seemed very set on a particular solution she had in mind and would not settle for the justification to an alternative answer because evidently (I found out after) it competed or was in conflict with one of the big bets the company is making. There was disagreement between some of the interviewers about the culture; the product team claimed it was start-uppy and fast-paced (although long dev cycles and slow to make changes) and talked about the evolution from search but was not too knowledgeable overall about search itself (more so about partner network, tools) or the larger IAC organization -- seemed a bit disparate; the engineers were complaining that they have no say in the process. It seemed like the company is struggling with its pace. The product management exec did seem very passionate and the most knowledgeable. At the end of the interview day, the exec walked me down to the lobby. There was no follow-up on the interview in the next couple months, so safe to assume, they've moved on, but feedback would have been common courtesy, even just to know how to shape it next time and improve and what exactly went wrong.

Interview Questions

• How would you monetize Wikipedia?   1 Answer
    • How would you decide what search features (e.g., Q&A, images) to prioritize on a mobile device?   1 Answer
    • Rank skills in order of priority you think is necessary to succeed in this job.   1 Answer
    • What are some revenue models outside of advertising you can think of for Ask.com?   1 Answer

Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IAC (Oakland, CA) in February 2008.

Interview

A hiring manager first called and went over my skills and background. After she pre-screened me, I had a 1- on 1 phone interview with a person from my potential department who was located on the East Coast. Once that 30 minute interview was over, I went into the Oakland office and interviewed with a panel.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I gave them a salary range and they matched what I asked.