IBM Business Analytics Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at IBM

4.5

Business Analytics Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Armonk, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Armonk, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

After a couple of phone screens I was flown up to NY to interview in the office. We were all in one conference room and we were each taken to different rooms to interview with different people. There were a total of four 1/1 interviews.

Each interview consisted of a business case. One revolving around how to acquire data, one about summarizing data, one of a company who wants to close one of two facilities, and the presentation on your business case you were sent a couple of days before.

Interview Questions

• Business Case (Sent a day in advance): Please take the data set provided (lots of binary variables) and provide us some analysis on why this foreign based company is having issues with consumer retention   1 Answer
  • A company is having issues with turnover between a older workforce retiring, and a young workforce turning over at twice the rate, how would you get data to do analysis on this   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Consultant Business Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in July 2012.

Interview

I applied to the graduate scheme, the only bad experience I had so far in this type of interviews. Standard initial email telling me to complete the IPAT test, giving me first a week and then I received another email a couple of days later telling me that I had only 72 hours left, so it was confusing and I had to prepare and travel for other interviews so I had to rush taking the test after travelling back from an exhausting interview. The test was for autistic people with crazy numeric series to complete and stupid exercises like "there are X programmers and Y engineers, how many engineers need to be hired to so that they represent 40% of the total workforce"? The typical psychometric tests make a lot of sense, this one doesn't. Anyway I passed it and no one called me, they simply sent me an email telling me to show up at the assessment centre. I replied for further information, they replied to my first email, not to the second, I found very unprofessional not to set up any phone talk at all.
    At the assessment centre I received a presentation from a consultant that was hired less than a year before in that group. He mentioned that, to honor the london olympics, they organized their internal olympics of...board games (monopoly, risk, etc.), I thought "what a bunch of nerds!". Then we repeat the IPAT test and we finally made psychometric tests. The group activity was the one that made me flip out because, instead of giving a non-technical activity where people can actually discuss so that you can evaluate a person's soft skills and ability to interact with others, they gave us a puzzle. Imagine doing a sudoku or a crossword with other 4-5 people, you don't discuss, you have a bunch of people throwing numbers or words, it is messy and extremely inefficient, this is way in a company you make technical analysis individually and you meet only to set up the overall strategy and to evaluate the results. Btw the actual task was to guess information about some individuals knowing some clues about them so in 45 minutes we were barely able to answer one of the 2 questions when probably individually each one of us could have answered both in half of the time. The whole process was really to find the biggest nerd not to find well-rounded people. It has really nothing to do with management consulting. I had a great experience with McKinsey even if I was not selected but IBM was terrible.

Interview Questions