IBM Business Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Business Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Was contacted by HR first for introductory interview. Had 3 more interviews by hiring and manager as well as manager of area.

Interview Questions

• Did not have any unexpected questions. Employers biggest concern was readiness for travel which is considerable.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

3 30-minute phone interviews. All behavioral questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Offer within 48 hours.

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

IBM works with a few stages you have to pass in order to be offered a position at the company:

1) Online application with IBM's specific form you have to fill in with some specific 'interview style' questions you have to fill in (e.g. Describe a time you displayed excellent client focus in less than 80 words)

2) You may then be invited to take the IPAT test. There were two parts to this with the first being number sequence problems and the second part was a numerical competancy type of assessment. This test was quite challenging, less because of the level of the questions but more due to the time constraints - you are given 1 min 45 sec to answer each question (if I recall correctly) so you only have one chance to get the answer right, especially with the numerical section, and then you may be forced to simply guess.

3) If you pass the IPAT test you will then be invited to one of IBM's assessment centres (IBM will cover all reasonable travel expenses of up to 150 pounds). The assessment centre day is broken up into two parts: the first consists of two group activities (4-5 people) aimed at assessing you drive, teamwork, leadership, problem sovling, client focus, etc. The one was attempting to solve a problem with limited information and the other involved the development of a business idea and a short presentation of this idea. If you are successful with the first half of the day, you will then be invited to partake in personal and competancy interviews.

4) There will then be a final interview. Once you are at this stage you are almost guaranteed a position as this interview is mainly aimed at finding where you might specifically fit within the company based on your competancies, interests, goals etc.

Interview Questions

• Standard personal and competancy interview style questions.

Be sure to prep some examples to draw on before-hand and remember the general rule when answering any comptancy type questions, which is CAR (Context; Action; Result). It is also a good idea to prep examples that demonstrate compentancies that IBM looks for (Drive and leadership;Team work; Problem solving; Adaptability/Flexibility; Client focus; Communication skills)
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Filled out online application form, which involved interview style questions. Then completed cognitive assessment tests, which were very difficult. About a week or two later I was asked to an assessment centre down in London. They do reimburse travel/accommodation which was a bonus. Assessment centre a half day and if you pass the first half, you are put through to the afternoon session. I didn't make it to the 2nd half. But first half consisted of two group work activities - one logical and one presentation. A lot of waiting around, we were there for about four/five hours and only assessed for 90 minutes.
    On my assessment day only 2 people out of 21 got through to the afternoon/interview stage, which was pretty brutal, and as they weren't in my group, I'm not sure where the rest of us went wrong.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application form - standard questions.

Aptitude Tests - number series test was one of the hardest I've had to do, however numerical reasoning (felt easier than SHL or Kenexa) - but they have to be done consecutively no break.

Assessment centre was next step - employees were very friendly and engaging, it was a good experience - refreshments provided and the first half of the day involves two group exercises (planning event for client and logic problem) and confirmatory aptitude tests.

75% of candidates sent home at lunch - next part was lunch for successful candidates followed by a case study and presentation (in pairs) and an interview with the professional development manager (competency interview but make sure you have researched the company).

Interview Questions

• No particularly difficult questions. Remember in group exercises - be calm and confident and make sure to get in early as the good questions to ask will be used up very quickly. Finally stay alert and don't be too nervous, they just want you to give the best representation of yourself that you can, so believe in yourself and be you - if you get to the assessment centre you're already down to the last 30-40 out of hundreds, so they like you and want you to keep demonstrating you're the right candidate. (nb// travel re-imbursed up to £150)   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Interview

Long Interview process including online application and tests, assessment day where 13 of 20 people got sent home at lunch. The final round business matching interview.

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)).

Interview

Online Applicatio
    Psychometric Tests
    Assessment Center
    Final interview

Interview Questions

• The assessment Center - Teamwork and numerical test was fine. It was the selling to the interviewer a offer that you only have about 30 minutes to read was the tough part.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

Interview

Classic CV submission, IPAT test, invitation for 1st round selection day - 2 group exercises + confirmatory IPAT test. The group exercises were the same ones as are discussed online - one logic (each of you has slightly different information) + one that is focused around organizing an event. Just do your best, focused on the team work and NOT solving it yourself (which would be way more efficient!!!!!)

The overall experience was pretty negative I must say - especially in comparison with other consulting companies/positions. Everything is very anonymous, people are not helpful at all when it comes to personal needs/preferences.

Interview Questions

• The confirmatory IPAT test only has the 'logical' part (i.e. the numerical series)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in June 2012.

Interview

This is for the United Kingdom IBM. Apply online, once cv has been screened then you do 2 psychometric tests. The first test is numerical and contains sequences and seriers that get more difficult as you go. You have approx 20 min. The 2nd test is verbal reasoning wich also lasts 20 min.

1st round selection centre consists of 2 group exercises and a re-test of the numerical test. the 2nd numerical test is very easy, only 10 questions.

first group exercise is a logical exercise which they ask you to solve.
    second group exercise is consists of a business case about an event where half way though they suggest there is a problem and you have to rethink your strategy.

Interview Questions

• how many petrol stations are there in the UK?   1 Answer

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in May 2012.

Interview

Group exercises- one logical one, one event planning task. Then a confirmation maths test.
    The second stage was a one-to-one interview, case study and presentation (only in front of the assessor!) and group logic test (really hard)

Interview Questions

• Why is the product so expensive? (I was trying to sell a mobile app to the interviewer)   1 Answer