IBM Business Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 15, 2018

3.2

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Was contacted by HR first for introductory interview. Had 3 more interviews by hiring and manager as well as manager of area.

Interview Questions

• Did not have any unexpected questions. Employers biggest concern was readiness for travel which is considerable.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

3 30-minute phone interviews. All behavioral questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Offer within 48 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Relatively smooth - had to do a few videos before, then online tests before being invited to an assessment day. None of it was too taxing but I withdrew from the process as it was taking a long time and I was offered a place elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Not a question but the video question where you had to speak into the webcam with no interviewer - therefore unable to read how your response was going down   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

I filled in an application asking me for a short personal statement and then some simple questions. Once passing this stage, I was asked to complete a HireVue video interview. In this I was asked 3 competency based questions which has no time limit to respond (I personally took ages to prepare my answers and know exactly what I was going to say) but you could only record your answer once. Compared to other consultancy video interviews, which do have a time limit to respond, it seemed easy and you had plenty of time to answer (3 mins). Once passing this stage, I was given the IPAT. It consisted of sequences and a more mathematical based section. The sequences are very difficult and time pressured so I would recommend practicing the different types of sequences that might come up e.g. exotic sequences (there are some great websites out there if you simply google IPAT sequences practice - I thought they were similar to the real thing although slightly easier). I am now waiting to hear back to see if I passed and through to the assessment centre. The process has been very slow (months) so far.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your passion for tech and the skills you have to demonstrate this?   Answer Question

Business Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Group Exercises followed by Personal Interview. Group exercises determined how you worked in a team, critical thinking and problem solving. Personal interview based around behavioural questions and some technical knowledge about the role you applied to. Interview less than 30 minutes and rather straight forward. Recruitment team were lovely and made you feel comfortable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Online Maths Test, Online Video Interview (3 questions), Assessment Centre which involved two group exercises (one was a logic puzzle and the other a case study) and an interview with a partner.

Overall was reasonably impressed by the process, everything happened quickly and at the assessment centre the people running it were very helpful.

One of the aspects I found slightly strange was that on the day we were divided into two groups one with five men in and the other with four women and one man in, which seemed a bit strange.... Would it not make more sense for it to be a bit more balanced?

Overall though it was a reasonably enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked in a team that didn't go well, how did you resolve your difficulties?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Two workshops, one mathematical quiz and the other a business proposal, each were judged by three IBM employees. Overall a negative experience due to the long waiting time to find out if we were invited back to the next round. Nonetheless we did receive decent feedback on our performance.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a business proposal on the case study they gave us.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

IBM works with a few stages you have to pass in order to be offered a position at the company:

1) Online application with IBM's specific form you have to fill in with some specific 'interview style' questions you have to fill in (e.g. Describe a time you displayed excellent client focus in less than 80 words)

2) You may then be invited to take the IPAT test. There were two parts to this with the first being number sequence problems and the second part was a numerical competancy type of assessment. This test was quite challenging, less because of the level of the questions but more due to the time constraints - you are given 1 min 45 sec to answer each question (if I recall correctly) so you only have one chance to get the answer right, especially with the numerical section, and then you may be forced to simply guess.

3) If you pass the IPAT test you will then be invited to one of IBM's assessment centres (IBM will cover all reasonable travel expenses of up to 150 pounds). The assessment centre day is broken up into two parts: the first consists of two group activities (4-5 people) aimed at assessing you drive, teamwork, leadership, problem sovling, client focus, etc. The one was attempting to solve a problem with limited information and the other involved the development of a business idea and a short presentation of this idea. If you are successful with the first half of the day, you will then be invited to partake in personal and competancy interviews.

4) There will then be a final interview. Once you are at this stage you are almost guaranteed a position as this interview is mainly aimed at finding where you might specifically fit within the company based on your competancies, interests, goals etc.

Interview Questions

• Standard personal and competancy interview style questions.

Be sure to prep some examples to draw on before-hand and remember the general rule when answering any comptancy type questions, which is CAR (Context; Action; Result). It is also a good idea to prep examples that demonstrate compentancies that IBM looks for (Drive and leadership;Team work; Problem solving; Adaptability/Flexibility; Client focus; Communication skills)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Filled out online application form, which involved interview style questions. Then completed cognitive assessment tests, which were very difficult. About a week or two later I was asked to an assessment centre down in London. They do reimburse travel/accommodation which was a bonus. Assessment centre a half day and if you pass the first half, you are put through to the afternoon session. I didn't make it to the 2nd half. But first half consisted of two group work activities - one logical and one presentation. A lot of waiting around, we were there for about four/five hours and only assessed for 90 minutes.
    On my assessment day only 2 people out of 21 got through to the afternoon/interview stage, which was pretty brutal, and as they weren't in my group, I'm not sure where the rest of us went wrong.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The online application was followed by online IPAT tests, which measured verbal and logical reasoning, as well as pattern recognition, following this there was an assessment centre consisting of two group tasks, and a 45-minute interview to finish.

Interview Questions

• How would you break down complex information to explain to a client?   Answer Question