IBM Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.9

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graphic Designer CBD Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

There was only one round of interviews and it was in-person. There were three parts each one on one with a different interviewer. The first part was the design challenge. IBM submitted to me a fictional scenario of shoe customization company that was hoping to increase sales. I was tasked with designing a digital solution based on the user research they supplied. During this part of the interview, the interviewer challenged every aspect of my design proposal, and I had to explain my reasoning and thinking. The next part of the interview was my portfolio presentation. This was very casual and informal. In fact, I didn't even present all of my projects because the interviewer was asking me questioning and sharing ideas. Finally, there was the cultural interview. I was asked many questions about how I work with different people and respond to challenges. The interview was on a Friday, and I received a letter notifying me I didn't get the position the following Monday. From my initial application to the rejection letter, the whole process was about a month.

Watson Health - Data & Evidence - Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

This was a phone screening call specific to Watson Health. The HR professional was very prepared and kept the conversation going for 50 minutes. Watson Health needed someone with an informatics background. I knew that I wasnt the right candidate for the position but was happy to speak to HR for prescreening.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background working with clinical medicine professionals.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Professional. Multiple appointments. Good recruiter. 5 interviews. Good follow-up. Job description used for interviews. Checked background. Sales experiences reviewed. Past performance reviewed. Referenced checked. Forecast approach and closing approach reviewed.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I was called for a screening interview. The hiring manager talked to me directly and spent as much time explaining the position as asking me about my background. We spoke for about 30 minutes. Although he said he would inform me of the decision, other times I have applied to IBM, been interviewed and never heard back.

Interview Questions

• It was general. They asked me about my general background. It was very free form   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

My process was awful. I got an email that said i needed to respond in 24 hours for a interview in Chicago for a position in the DC office. I sent over my paperwork to the person they said and I waited and waited and got no response back. 3 days before I was suppose to fly out I finally got an email back. At this point I didn't think I was going and that its was a mistake since I hadn't heard back. I had started to prepare things but had stopped since I did not think I was going so I had quickly throw everything together. When I finally get to the interview they tell me two other people are also interviewing with me. Surprise! They had about 5 IBM people in a room and we all did of our presentations in front of each other and IBM. I had to rush through mine since it said on the email we had 12 minutes for presenting and 3 for questions but they told me I only had 10 minutes now so I had to quickly rush through everything. After presentations we met with two different IBM people and they asked pre-made questions about IBM's values and questions that related to them. Overall it was a hectic experience and I would most likely not recommend it. I received an email about a week and half later saying I was not moving on.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a 45 minute phone call of them just asking me situational questions. There was no conversation aspect to the call what so ever. Then it took them 3 months to get back to me.

Digital Sales Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received email from corporate recruiter for an in-person interview. No phone call. Met just a few days later in the downtown Chicago office with 3 different managers. I was told that there were very limited positions open to external candidates, which means they are just going through the motions and adhering to company policy of interviewing candidates outside of the organization. I was told I would hear back within a week, but waited 2 weeks before reaching out to one of the hiring managers for a status. The position had been filled, and he was surprised that the recruiter had not contacted me. I sucked it up and continued to apply for similar roles for 2 months before receiving an identical request to interview, with the same exact managers. I took this as a good sign considering we had already met. My wife had to deliver my first child the day before the interview, and we decided together that I should still go because of the potential career opportunity to support my family. This was not an easy decision, and the commute into the city took 2 hours. 30 minutes before the interview, one of the hiring managers called me and apologized that he just learned that the company is on a hiring freeze until further notice. He did apologize several times, but this has to be one of the most disappointing moments in my life. I now have to explain to my wife what happened, or lie to avoid embarrassment and upsetting my wife who is in recovery for the next 3 days. I am writing this as I sit and wait 2 more hours for the next outbound train so I can return to my wife and newborn. I will never apply for another position at IBM. Outside of my personal circumstances, the company needs to really improve their interviewing process and communication with potential candidates. As a side note, I am taking another company's offer, so this is not a pity party. I just really thought I would be a great fit at Big Blue.

Summit Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I originally applied mid September, had my interview late November, and did not hear from IBM again until January. The interviewer and I spoke for an hour and a half with the interviewer stating at the end that I would be getting a second interview and that a manager should be reaching out to me within two weeks. Not only did I never hear from a manger but the interviewer did a very poor job at answering my follow up calls/emails. I turned down offers from several other firms in anticipation of this interview only to receive an automatically generated email in January stating my application would not be moving forward. When I contacted my original interviewer for clarification on this I once again did not receive a response to my voicemail or email

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

A total of 8 questions :
    5 general questions and 3 coding questions.
    Questions like, why do you think you are a good fit,
    You have to explain one of the coding questions by recording yourself.

Interview Questions

• What technologies did you teach to yourself?   1 Answer

NOC Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was technically involved in the first three interviews. The 4th was a Director at IBM/JLL. The entire process was extremely long and tedious. It took nearly 3 months, and my original agreed rate was lowered after being offered the position at the 4th interview due to budget cuts 2 weeks later just before start date. The start date kept getting pushed back for one reason or another. I would say there were 4 interviews due to lack of communication and disorganization. The NOC is sub-par.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in an emergency that could not be handled by an Engineer?
      How do you communicate with other team members, do you prefer to work in a team, or by yourself?
      Various Technical NOC questions involving troubleshooting. Be most concerned about your communication skills. IBM puts a lot of stock in your openness to availability.   Answer Question