IBM Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

IBM Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 25, 2017

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I was called for a screening interview. The hiring manager talked to me directly and spent as much time explaining the position as asking me about my background. We spoke for about 30 minutes. Although he said he would inform me of the decision, other times I have applied to IBM, been interviewed and never heard back.

Interview Questions

• It was general. They asked me about my general background. It was very free form   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

My process was awful. I got an email that said i needed to respond in 24 hours for a interview in Chicago for a position in the DC office. I sent over my paperwork to the person they said and I waited and waited and got no response back. 3 days before I was suppose to fly out I finally got an email back. At this point I didn't think I was going and that its was a mistake since I hadn't heard back. I had started to prepare things but had stopped since I did not think I was going so I had quickly throw everything together. When I finally get to the interview they tell me two other people are also interviewing with me. Surprise! They had about 5 IBM people in a room and we all did of our presentations in front of each other and IBM. I had to rush through mine since it said on the email we had 12 minutes for presenting and 3 for questions but they told me I only had 10 minutes now so I had to quickly rush through everything. After presentations we met with two different IBM people and they asked pre-made questions about IBM's values and questions that related to them. Overall it was a hectic experience and I would most likely not recommend it. I received an email about a week and half later saying I was not moving on.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a 45 minute phone call of them just asking me situational questions. There was no conversation aspect to the call what so ever. Then it took them 3 months to get back to me.

Digital Sales Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received email from corporate recruiter for an in-person interview. No phone call. Met just a few days later in the downtown Chicago office with 3 different managers. I was told that there were very limited positions open to external candidates, which means they are just going through the motions and adhering to company policy of interviewing candidates outside of the organization. I was told I would hear back within a week, but waited 2 weeks before reaching out to one of the hiring managers for a status. The position had been filled, and he was surprised that the recruiter had not contacted me. I sucked it up and continued to apply for similar roles for 2 months before receiving an identical request to interview, with the same exact managers. I took this as a good sign considering we had already met. My wife had to deliver my first child the day before the interview, and we decided together that I should still go because of the potential career opportunity to support my family. This was not an easy decision, and the commute into the city took 2 hours. 30 minutes before the interview, one of the hiring managers called me and apologized that he just learned that the company is on a hiring freeze until further notice. He did apologize several times, but this has to be one of the most disappointing moments in my life. I now have to explain to my wife what happened, or lie to avoid embarrassment and upsetting my wife who is in recovery for the next 3 days. I am writing this as I sit and wait 2 more hours for the next outbound train so I can return to my wife and newborn. I will never apply for another position at IBM. Outside of my personal circumstances, the company needs to really improve their interviewing process and communication with potential candidates. As a side note, I am taking another company's offer, so this is not a pity party. I just really thought I would be a great fit at Big Blue.

Summit Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I originally applied mid September, had my interview late November, and did not hear from IBM again until January. The interviewer and I spoke for an hour and a half with the interviewer stating at the end that I would be getting a second interview and that a manager should be reaching out to me within two weeks. Not only did I never hear from a manger but the interviewer did a very poor job at answering my follow up calls/emails. I turned down offers from several other firms in anticipation of this interview only to receive an automatically generated email in January stating my application would not be moving forward. When I contacted my original interviewer for clarification on this I once again did not receive a response to my voicemail or email

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

A total of 8 questions :
    5 general questions and 3 coding questions.
    Questions like, why do you think you are a good fit,
    You have to explain one of the coding questions by recording yourself.

Interview Questions

• What technologies did you teach to yourself?   1 Answer

NOC Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was technically involved in the first three interviews. The 4th was a Director at IBM/JLL. The entire process was extremely long and tedious. It took nearly 3 months, and my original agreed rate was lowered after being offered the position at the 4th interview due to budget cuts 2 weeks later just before start date. The start date kept getting pushed back for one reason or another. I would say there were 4 interviews due to lack of communication and disorganization. The NOC is sub-par.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in an emergency that could not be handled by an Engineer?
      How do you communicate with other team members, do you prefer to work in a team, or by yourself?
      Various Technical NOC questions involving troubleshooting. Be most concerned about your communication skills. IBM puts a lot of stock in your openness to availability.
      Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview process took 1 month and I applied through my university. Only one round, they fly you out to interview. Onsite there are 3 different interviews, one behavioral, one situational, and one case study. The behavioral and situational questions are very easy, I had one example that answered almost all the questions in the behavioral interview. The case study was also very easy, it focused on whether or not a business should add on a service. It seems that the answer does not have to be 100% right, they are just looking for your thought-process and the questions you ask. I received an offer six days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used your knowledge or expertise to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

1) Apply
    2) Coding Challenge (3 hours) with recording of answers to behavioral questions
    3) Guru Interview (1:1 technical interview if you pass the coding challenge)
    4) Finish Line Interview (If you pass guru interview)

Analytics Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I went to career fair back in Fall semester on my college campus and was invited to interview 3 weeks later. Interviews were conducted in one day and with 3 back to back to back interviews. 2 behavioral interviews and one case interview. The behavioral interviews were primarily culture fit focused as well as role fit focused. The case had to do with restoring profitability for a pizza chain. It wasn't too bad everyone was very nice! And then I received my offer 5 days later. So from career fair until offer it took about 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do consulting?   Answer Question
    • Why IBM?   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you resolved conflict in a team?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever realized while you were doing something that you could have done it better? How would you have done it better and what would you have changed?   Answer Question
    • What is statistical significance?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience in statistical programming languages/business analytics?   Answer Question
    • How do you adapt quickly to a new culture?   Answer Question