IBM Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process happened on campus at school. T h ere were 3 rounds of interviews back to back after a phone call. Like any campus interviews. I had to make sure that I was prepared since I had not done a case study before. There was a techincal, a case study and a resume review. All these happened after a phone call.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through my campus career center job board. I was invited to interview with IBM where they came to my campus. I couldn't make that because I was attending another interview in another city. They scheduled me 7 days later for a virtual interview through HireVue.

The interview was comprised of 3 back to back interviews, each around 30 minutes each. How it played out:

Interview 1: My first interview was... interesting. The interviewer was not part of the CbD program at all. He started out with "Tell me about yourself", and then just asked me to walk him through my resume and college experiences. After that, he let me ask him questions, signaling the end of the interview. He wasn't too well versed with the CbD program as he couldn't really answer some of the questions I had about it. He told me he "had no clue" for one of them. Interview lasted ~15 minutes from start to finish.

Interview 2: This was the case interview. Case was about a luxury Yacht company. Interviewer gave me qualitative facts (some I needed, some I didn't really) and I had to tell him profit, revenue, and conditions for break even. Make sure you write all the numbers down quick, and can do basic math on the spot. Also you're not given all the information you need so make sure to ask questions and ask for additional information as you see fit. At the end he asks if you have questions for him. This one lasted ~30 minutes.

Interview 3: This one was more behavioral. Interviewer was not very professional or discrete. The interviewer asked me some basic questions "Why did you choose x major?", and "What is your gpa?". He then asked behavioral questions. Some were more IBM specific (situations concerning IBM work environment, IBM systems, IBM technology), and some were generic situations. Make sure to use specific examples from your past experience and be sure that your example properly address the question asked. He asked follow up questions on a few of my responses. He then closed by allowing me to ask him questions. He threw me off a bit because the whole time, 25% of his face was out of the camera frame. In addition, he also yawned a few times and ate some of his sandwich. I didn't really mind it too much personally, but it distracted me a little while I was talking. Interview went for about ~45 minutes because he accidentally skipped over a few questions on his sheet during the interview and asked me them later, after I asked him questions. He was otherwise nice and was polite.

All in all, the interview was not too hard, but there is necessary preparation to be done before. I do think it could've been conducted a little bit better. The structure of the two behavioral interviews was confusing. I think IBM could've also picked better interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why should a company choose IBM in the U.S if they can go to India and find another company who can do the work for less?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time your work got in the way of your personal life. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What type of consulting would you want to do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to explain a project to someone?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question
    • What is your strength? Give me an example of when you used this skill   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had multiple tasks, projects, etc. How did you handle them all?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

There was 3 interviews back to back with 3 different people. One is a case and the other 2 are behavioral. The behavioral questions were just going over your resume and situational questions.

Interview Questions

• The case questons are all different based on what position you are interviewing for.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

it was a quick one round process with 3 interviews. very well organized. I had two behavioral and one case interview. the case was a standard profits and loss case.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university and was selected for an interview on campus. It was the only and final round interview. It consisted of two 45- minutes behavioral interviews and one 45- minute "case" interview. The case isn't a typical "case" interview as Case-In-Point details. Instead, you're given a scenario on paper and then have 10 minutes to yourself to answer 6 questions that are written below the scenario. Then, you are given 5ish minutes to explain to the case interviewer your solution and thoughts. Overall, a great experience and I felt really excited about the opportunity coming out of the interview. All of the interviewers were very passionate about their jobs, and IBM is a fantastic company. IBM got back to me with an offer in 3 days. Very quick turn around.

Interview Questions

• Modified Case interview
      Behavioral interviews (classic "tell me about a time when..." questions)
      Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I was invited to an on-campus interview, which consisted of one behavioral and one case study interviews. The process was surprisingly short and prompt. Behavioral interview was just another typical behavioral interview (resume walk through, why IBM, and other usual behavioral questions). Case study was interviewer-led, where all the data was given. Basically, they want to know your thought process rather than your algebraic skills. I received an offer two weeks after the interview via a phone call from a HR personnel. Overall, very pleasant experience.

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

Only had one round of interviews, as I attended a few of their on-campus events. Other people had an additional phone interview. Was flown out to the company site and had a behavioral and a case interview. Both were very straightforward and nothing to stress about. Overall a quick and easy experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why IBM? Why consulting? Why are you a good fit for IBM/what makes you more qualified than other candidates?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Behavioral questions and some case study questions were given to me. It was a pretty easy process and I had to talk about my background and walk through my thought process for the case

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

I went through several on-campus interviews during college recruitment in 2010 for IBM. The questions were very easy. I was not impressed by how little one of the interviewers let me speak. He told me stories the whole time which prevented him from collecting any additional data on me. For the next three months I received emails telling me I was at the top of the recruitment pool, and they would let me know in January. When January came, they never told me yes or no. I contacted everyone I spoke with from IBM, and no one had an answer. The process struck me as unprofessional. I hope the process has improved since then.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

It was a single round interview process. They used HireVue, but had technical difficulties. Two of the three rounds, including the case study round, got changed to phone interviews minutes before the scheduled time. They gave me a date by which I would receive their decision, but after the date passed, I had to reach out twice before I heard back