IBM Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 2, 2017

2.9

190 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Consultant Interview

Interview

The hiring process is simple, applied through colleges website and was emailed back about 2 weeks later in order to set up the interview. They were all very nice people, but it was a little frustrating to get in contact with them outside of career fairs and workshops.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2017.

Interview

Three 30 minute interviews on campus. One case study interview and two behavioral interviews. Case study was straight forward, no curve-balls. Behavioral interviews were with a senior consultant and a partner. Overall, a relatively easy interview and positive experience.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

One on campus interview session, 90 minutes total. The time was split into three one on one interviews with experienced IBM employees, each focusing on either behavioral questions or one case study. Was very conversational, and their were no big curve balls. Very straight forward process.

Consultant Interview

Interview

3 telephone interviews. 1 behavioral, 1 technical and 1 with manager. Very helpful when I was stuck during a tough Sql injection question. Was able to provide my experience to help show that I was still an entry level hire.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Overall excellent. good disucssion, on technical, total 4 rounds ... Followed by HR discussion. team asked for details exp , usual refering of profile with examples. Should be prepare for soft skills questions.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Entry level business analytics consultant (CbD): The process wasn't difficult. I went through university hire and there were 3 rounds. Of those rounds, they consisted of a case study type of answer and question, personality and behavioral (asked about resume, other questions, etc.). I ended up receiving an offer fairly soon and accepted it because the position seemed promising and challenging.

Consultant Interview

Interview

Had one Interview that consisted of three 30 minute long interviews: behavioral, behavioral, case. The interviewers were extremely nice and very helpful. I did prepare for the interview for about a week or so!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • You have to meet a client in 6 hours including fly time and have never met them before. What do you do/ how do you prepare?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process happened on campus at school. T h ere were 3 rounds of interviews back to back after a phone call. Like any campus interviews. I had to make sure that I was prepared since I had not done a case study before. There was a techincal, a case study and a resume review. All these happened after a phone call.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through my campus career center job board. I was invited to interview with IBM where they came to my campus. I couldn't make that because I was attending another interview in another city. They scheduled me 7 days later for a virtual interview through HireVue.

The interview was comprised of 3 back to back interviews, each around 30 minutes each. How it played out:

Interview 1: My first interview was... interesting. The interviewer was not part of the CbD program at all. He started out with "Tell me about yourself", and then just asked me to walk him through my resume and college experiences. After that, he let me ask him questions, signaling the end of the interview. He wasn't too well versed with the CbD program as he couldn't really answer some of the questions I had about it. He told me he "had no clue" for one of them. Interview lasted ~15 minutes from start to finish.

Interview 2: This was the case interview. Case was about a luxury Yacht company. Interviewer gave me qualitative facts (some I needed, some I didn't really) and I had to tell him profit, revenue, and conditions for break even. Make sure you write all the numbers down quick, and can do basic math on the spot. Also you're not given all the information you need so make sure to ask questions and ask for additional information as you see fit. At the end he asks if you have questions for him. This one lasted ~30 minutes.

Interview 3: This one was more behavioral. Interviewer was not very professional or discrete. The interviewer asked me some basic questions "Why did you choose x major?", and "What is your gpa?". He then asked behavioral questions. Some were more IBM specific (situations concerning IBM work environment, IBM systems, IBM technology), and some were generic situations. Make sure to use specific examples from your past experience and be sure that your example properly address the question asked. He asked follow up questions on a few of my responses. He then closed by allowing me to ask him questions. He threw me off a bit because the whole time, 25% of his face was out of the camera frame. In addition, he also yawned a few times and ate some of his sandwich. I didn't really mind it too much personally, but it distracted me a little while I was talking. Interview went for about ~45 minutes because he accidentally skipped over a few questions on his sheet during the interview and asked me them later, after I asked him questions. He was otherwise nice and was polite.

All in all, the interview was not too hard, but there is necessary preparation to be done before. I do think it could've been conducted a little bit better. The structure of the two behavioral interviews was confusing. I think IBM could've also picked better interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why should a company choose IBM in the U.S if they can go to India and find another company who can do the work for less?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time your work got in the way of your personal life. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What type of consulting would you want to do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to explain a project to someone?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question
    • What is your strength? Give me an example of when you used this skill   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had multiple tasks, projects, etc. How did you handle them all?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

There was 3 interviews back to back with 3 different people. One is a case and the other 2 are behavioral. The behavioral questions were just going over your resume and situational questions.

Interview Questions

• The case questons are all different based on what position you are interviewing for.   Answer Question