IBM Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at IBM

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Edison, NJ) in August 2008.

Interview

IBM has a rigorous interview process. It starts with Staffing agency that fills in huge number of forms before they even can submit you. Most of the staffing agencies as well have pretty tough criterions for you on communication and experience. This is followed by the IBM recruiter calling you and verifying on the information. Then is the technical interview for which they invite you to a location and they take good care of you. This is a panel interview followed by personal interview.

I had multiple offers

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in June 2010.

Interview

First I had a phone interview and a month later got a 1:1 interview with two different people.

Interview Questions

• I will not ask you any questions, please ask me any questions would like to know about our company (you have to get this going for 30 minutes) and my co-worker will ask you more technical questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

did not negocite salary, big mistake. increases are dismal, get the most before you get in!

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in October 2008.

Interview

I had an initial interview on the first day consisting of behavorial questions. The second day I had 3 rounds of interviews with three different individuals. One only really mattered because he was the hiring manager. The main qualities he was looking for was leadership and the ability to learn things quickly. Another question that was asked frequently was why did I interview for a consulting position? Why do I want to go into consulting?

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in October 2008.

Interview

IBM began with an information session on campus. Three or four recent graduates now working at IBM presented, along with one of the more senior managers.

The university's career center had an online resume submission. After still having interest in me, they had me apply on the IBM website. Next, they invited me for an interview.

I interviewed with three IBMers in the same day: one had recently graduated from my university (within two years) and the other two were more senior people with almost ten years experience. The interviews were mostly behavioral (trying to assess my people skills, leadership skills, conflict management) and experiential (what I'd done in past internships). There was little to no assessment of subject matter knowledge (i.e. SAP, Oracle or other IT consulting knowledge). It seemed they didn't mind that I had no background in I.T., but rather that I had finance/business skills and experience.

Interview Questions

• Can you provide a situation where you had to handle a conflict with another person, or confront someone about not meeting their responsibilities?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no salary negotiation. I was given an offer, on which was my starting salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in January 2008.

Interview

Interview went well but not sure why I was rejected with the right qualification and the oppr. they said they will get back to me but they did not which was very annoying for me to understand but they can do better to give a good review on my attendnce to the interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in November 2010.

Interview

3 30-minute interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you used an innovative solution to solve a complex problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Gaithersburg, MD) in February 2009.

Interview

Following the submission of my application -- a resume and a cover letter -- I was first interviewed on telephone by a recruiter who reviewed my personal details and sought more specific information on my salary and benefits.

I was then called for interview to an office, and met four interviewers in succession. The first was by a recruiter who went over my employment history. The other three interviewers sought professional data: first, by asking more details about the accomplishments listed in my resume, second, by checking my experience in specific areas of professional work (what exactly did I do, to solve what problems, with what result, and what was eventually accomplished) and, third, by seeking my answer to specific hypothetical and problematic situations in an organization.

The recruiter then called me after a few days to say that the company intended to engage me and negotiate an agreed salary. There was no flexibility on the benefits, which were offered as a package, but after some discussion of the reasons for and against the salary I had preferred, the recruiter offered me a slightly lower salary.

The quality of the interviews was: amiable and not intimidating, polite and not intrusive, gracious and not demanding. The interviewers did not seem particularly skilled; some of the questions were superficial, and many were repetitive and apparently unplanned. The last interview was with a partner who was particularly candid, pleasant and informative.

The interviews, all in all, left a good impression but were not professionally impressive.

Interview Questions

• Describe a weakness.   1 Answer
    • How will deal with an alcoholic subordinate.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation was brief but cordial. I felt I gained something, but not all I wanted.

My advice will be: Go prepared to give a good reason for what you are asking. Check the market rate, emphasize your special strengths, cite concrete accomplishments that are likely to repeated in your prospective job and do it all in an immodest, matter-of-fact way. You are likely to get a decent, flexible response.

Do not expect to negotiate much on the benefits. It is a large organization that does not like to budge -- that is my impression -- too much from its existing packages.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

Three "fit" interviews over the phone for approximately 45 minutes. No in person interview because their model is 5 days at client site. Friendly and warm interviews, pretty candide about the role and culture witin the company.

Interview Questions

• Ususal questions about team experiences, deadlines and overall background.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in October 2007.

Interview

In-office interview consisted of several one-on-one sessions with employees of varying staff levels. The majority of questions were either behavioral or experience-focused. That is, very few questions were hypothetical, case-based or brain teasers. HR personnel were friendly and helpful. Interviewers were also cordial. Selling point from an employer perspective was earning potential.

Interview Questions

• Specifically, what [college] coursework can you bring to this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in December 2009.

Interview

I did first round interviews on campus with three interviewers who were all consultants. The interviews were almost all behaviorally-based, and focused on my past experience and my skills and expertise that would be specifically relevant to the position. There was a second round interview at the company site with two other people, both senior consultants, similar in nature to the first round. Surprisingly enough, there was no case-interview element to the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Convince me that you have the technical expertise to accept this position.   1 Answer
    • What business intelligence tools are you familiar with?   1 Answer

I accepted another consultant position with a different company that was in an industry that I was more interested.