IBM Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 18, 2017

2.9

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Process was minimal. Duties and hours were arranged based on referral. Work location was assigned as temporary and based on length of existing contract term. Technical skills were not questioned nor tested prior to receiving offer, same day.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Research Triangle Park, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

Random questions about subjects that had nothing to do about the job opportunity were asked. Also I received an invite to the interview literally 2 hours before the interview. So, I went into interview feeling unprepared. I obviously didn't do well because of it.

Interview Questions

• What's a project that I have recently worked on.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

There were two interviews on campus. A couple weeks later they sent me an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with a manager and a recruiter. It took 30 minutes. During the phone interview they asked mostly questions about my resume, projects, and some behavioral questions. They focused a lot on teamwork experience. Overall it was a positive experience.

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Burlington, VT) in March 2015.

Interview

It was just a phone interview with the manager and some other engineers and was pretty casual. They just asked me about my research experience, made sure I had used the equipment that I would be using with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your research experience. Have you had experience with this certain tool?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Rochester, MN).

Interview

Used a job board. Initial contact via telephone and e-mail. Once selected for an interview, interviewed with 4 areas. I was hosted by an great employee, who took me around the town from my hotel. If selected, then formal job offer given.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty laid back. It was hard because the areas were different so it was confusing to try to figure out how to answer because it ended up being multiple job possibilities.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was with mail, so it wasn't so much negotiation as one might expect, at least that was my experience. There are guidelines in this company, but you can try to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in East Fishkill, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (East Fishkill, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Contact , present, hiring, if yhey need they woll create position. They talked about housing in areas as if i am going to be offered and accept 5he position. Got offered the job within a week.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (San Diego, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Was very smooth. People are very nice, reasonable. There are 6 engineers asking questions. Ending statement was done by the hiring manager. He explained why IBM is the best work place to developed the career path.

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Research Triangle Park, NC) in June 2012.

Interview

Different than industry. Must know some one inside. applying through regular channels don't work most of the time. Human resources department representative didn't sow up for any interview. Benefits information and general information was not provided.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2010.

Interview

The interviewer asked a lot of questions about skills, past experiences, and eduction, trainning, hobbies.
    Asked a low level technical problem on the scene, and I can easily answer it. But, the interviewer seems not understand it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Yonkers, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me... followed by a pre-screen by the manager... followed by a telephone interview by a senior Engineer... followed by an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

They didn't have any particular project they need people to work on... it almost sounded like they need someone to walk in and do something fantastic so that their group's average rating goes up. Not goal-oriented team.