IBM Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at IBM

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Rochester, MN) in March 2011.

Interview

I went to my university sponsored career fair and talked to the representative who said they'd pass on my resume. I heard back from them a month later and they wanted to do an on-site or phone interview. I opted for on-site and drove 4 hours to the office in Rochester, MN. I interviewed with 4 different people for about 2 and a half hours. They asked me typical questions about my experience at school. No weird questions.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to talk about your leadership skills as much as possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to choose my location but no negotiate salary or anything like that.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Rochester, MN) in July 2010.

Interview

Applied via my school's career center. I was selected and completed a phone interview. They called me back almost immediately, the next day and invited me to interview onsite in Rochester and take a tour. Upon my arrival I first took the tour then was interviewed by 2 managers. Each interview was 30mins and the tour was about 30mins as well. I heard back in 1 or 2days that they'd like to offer me a position and asked that I complete an online application as part of the HR process. This also included a background test. From there I indicated a desired start date and it took about a week for my official offer letter to arrive. I came on as a supplemental and after a year became regular full time, which is typical.

The culture and atmosphere at the Rochester location is very laid back. Everyone is super nice (at least in my department). People often bounce ideas off each other. There are often site wide planned outings such as: trip to Mall of America, Canoeing, golfing etc. also departments often host their own events too. The dress code is casual and almost everyone comes to work in jeans and Ts. Employees often work independently as each financial analyst is wholly responsible for specific areas, contracts, etc financials and advising. It's a great atmosphere, truly the best I've ever worked in.

Interview Questions

• Focus on skills really. leadership, self motivated, works well in teams and individually, focused on contributing and growing. Noteworthy, my resume was pretty packed with educational and professional experience so we pretty much just talked about me as a person: my interests, challenging work experiences, strengths & weaknesses.   Answer Question
    • They ask about your familiarity with excel. Ideally they want you to be very familiar with it. It's an added bonus if you have some macro or VBA knowledge but this is not required.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't a negotiation process. Most financial analysts come in as supplemental hires and the salaries are set. After a year you have the opportunity to move to regular full time but there was no negotiation there either. The adjusted salary was predetermined.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Rochester, MN) in March 2012.

Interview

Everyone was very informative. No stupid "greatest strenghts/weaknesses" or " tell me your most secret secret that you wouldn't even tell your bff".

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Rochester, MN) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone interview. I spoke with two individuals, both in the Finance department. The first interview was extremely casual, with the interviewer telling me about IBM and allowing me to ask any questions I had personally about the company and the position. The next phone interview was with an HR representative in the Finance department, who asked a variety of behavioral questions. Both interviewers were extremely nice, responsive, and in general made me feel comfortable during the interview process. Also I felt many of the questions that were asked were vary open-ended, and not the same few questions that are asked at every other interview. Overall I felt the interview process was excellent, and I felt the questions asked of me allowed me to demonstrate who I truly am.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Rochester, MN) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview took place just after college graduation season at the beginning of the summer. There were two phone interviews back-to-back, about half an hour each. The first one went closer to 45 minutes which is usually a good thing, but apparently not this time. Had a good idea of the likely salary offer and qualifications of other candidates/employees for the same position; my credentials were quite a bit higher at least in terms of educational background. 1st interview was with a finance manager, which was a brief exchange of who I am and what IBM Rochester does, followed by an in-depth conversation about my background, current activities, and short-term plans. The finance manager was very arrogant and decided it was in the best interest of IBM to focus on miniscule details of my background that reflect no tangible aspect of my qualifications, rather than focusing on the bigger picture; ie goals in working for IBM, my interests, what I would contribute, etc. It was more of an assault on various minor aspects of my resume that I have never been asked about than an actual interview or reciprocal interaction that typical human beings normally have. The 2nd interview was with someone from HR asking the normal cliche behavioral interview questions about past experiences and how I responded. Quite worthless, but hard to complain since that is pretty ubiquitous in terms of interviewing with corporations. At the end of each interview I asked a couple finance-based questions regarding the company, its performance in recent years, growth opportunities, etc. Each interviewer's answer was beyond disappointing; the manager snickered and gave some snide condescending retort, probably because a quality answer would have required him to acknowledge the existence of other people. HR person acted like I just asked her a question coming from a PhD thesis paper on quantum physics. Needless to say, the finance manager wasn't able to surmount the few imperfections on my resume to realize how qualified I was, so my relationship with IBM Rochester ended there.

Interview Questions

• Why are you STILL in school getting a graduate degree in business right after getting your undergraduate degree?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Denver, CO) in March 2009.

Interview

Very extensive process involving several rounds of interviews with many people. Many types of various questions around strengths, weaknesses. Other questions included scenario type questions such as "tell me about a time when.....and how did you handle it"? Also asked questions around why you want to work for IBM and what your goals are, where do you see yourself 5, 10 years from now?

Interview Questions

Their offer was $20K/year below another offer I had and they did not want to match or beat the other offer.

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Interview process included 2 fifteen minute interviews on campus following a career fair.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Internship so no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Burlington, VT) in December 2009.

Interview

I was hired through an on campus process. It was poorly managed from a communications standpoint.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

One sided, at IBM you take or leave the offer generally.

Anonymous Employee in Somers, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Somers, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Very informative process. I recommend to do your reviewing and see how things go. It will be over the phone interviews. So I recommend practicing your vocal skills and trying to convey a sense of companionship and initiative. Its very easy to sounds bland and boring. But bland and boring will not land the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you have to bring to the company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straightforward.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

The hiring and interview process for this position was probably the shortest out of any I have experienced. I interviewed with them when they were on campus for a Job fair. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and involved pretty basic interview questions. After the interview I was told I would hear back within two weeks whether I got the job or not. Sure enough two weeks later I was given a job offer. No follow up interview, no negotiation. The hiring for this position must have been outsourced because after I received the offer I was contacted by an HR representative by telephone with dismal English skills and contact information form India.

Interview Questions

I declined the offer because It was the first offer I had received and after that I was presented with better offers from other companies.