IBM IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at IBM

2.8

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Recommended by a referral, asked to come into Herndon VA campus to interview all day. Three interviews: one behavioral, one fit, one case study (order of interviews is random). Cast study is less intensive than many consulting companies conduct theirs, IBM wants you to really talk out your ideas and ask questions to get more info from the interviewer. The final answer being right isnt as important as walking through your thought process.

Interview Questions

• What is something that is going on with IBM's stock price? Where do you see IBM going in five years?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Herndon, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

Flew all candidates out to their office in Herndon, VA. Three back to back interviews, one case and two behavioral. The case was about market entrance. No hard behavioral questions. Thought I did pretty well and the interviewers seemed to like me but got an email two weeks later stating I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• The Case - Wasn't hard but sometimes it can be difficult to know what they are exactly looking for.   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Herndon, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

I had a three-part interview in the Herndon, VA office. The three interviews consist of a business case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. The business case interview was a little weird for me since I had never done one before, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The question I got was pretty basic. The technical interview was mostly about the skills I learned in school (HTML, CSS, MySQL, and Java). I had to use a white board and write out a line of CSS code, which wasn't too bad (although I did mess up). The behavioral interview was pretty basic, no questions out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really was difficult or unexpected. They know that this position is entry level so they don't expect you to know everything or be an expert.   Answer Question

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I made contact with IBM recruiters via an on-campus recruiting fair. After speaking to recruiters, attending on-campus info sessions, and submitting my resume, I was notified that I had received an interview. I was notified about 3 days prior to the interview date.

The interview had three 30-minute components: two behavioral interviews, and one case review. The behavioral ones were fairly standard, although slightly different. One was conversational; one was more technical and by-the-book. The technical one framed questions in the context of a team environment, and asked me to react to various situations regarding team members' behavior and performance as well as project management.

The case overwhelmingly focused on the thought process, and not on providing an actual solution to the issue at hand. My case was based on a service diversification decision, so there was some technical number-crunching to be done, as well as consideration of the softer side of business such as brand identity, core competencies, etc.

The recruiting coordinator contacted me with an offer about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• After having fleshed out my response to the case as thoroughly as I thought I could, the interviewer asked, "what else is germane here?" I responded, and after talking over my response, he repeated the question. This pattern repeated about 3 times.   Answer Question

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2013.

Interview

I applied to my campus recruiting website and heard back from them regarding an on campus interview a few days later. After filling out a questionnaire, I had an on campus interview with three different interviewers. Each interview was 1:1 and lasted approximately 30 minutes. They said we would hear back within three weeks, and kept to that timetable, which I appreciated.

Interview Questions

• I had to analyze a case and provide recommendations. I was also asked a number of behavioral questions. It was difficult to tell whether the interviewers liked my responses. One of the interviewers seemed more interested in talking about his own experiences than listening to mine.   Answer Question

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in January 2016.

Interview

Very easy, asked general questions. Everyone I spoke to was extremely nice and very helpful with any questions I had. They flew me out to my interview location. They followed up to make sure my hotel and flight were all up to standards. I had several back to back interviews all about the same. Very conversational based and just a few behavioral questions.

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Herndon, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was invited to an interview event in Herndon, VA. The process was a bit lengthy. There were three 30 minute parts, two behavioral interviews with the usual questions, and one case study.

Interview Questions

• Case study: I was asked how I would approach integrating 5 legacy systems into one consolidated system, and multiple curveballs regarding personnel, budget, etc were thrown in to see how I would respond.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told I was able to negotiate, but the current offer in place suited my desires.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

The process was overall a positive experience. I went through on campus recruiting, where i received a 90 minute interview,consisting of three 30 minute with 3 separate interviewers. There were two behavioral ones, and one case study with a partner. I thought the case was the easiest part and the behavioral seemed trickier to gauge if I was giving the right answers.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were told you have to be on client site in 2 days notice with no prior knowledge of the industry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

The process was quite long, but only consisted of one round of interviews. I met recruiters at a campus info session and received an interview invite 3 weeks later. The actual interview took place in Herndon, VA, about 5 weeks after the initial meeting.

The interviews consisted of 2 behavioral and 1 case interview. If you've been preparing for consulting interviews, there is nothing here you wouldn't expect. I did find the case to be easier than other cases I've had. In fact, the simplicity of it tripped me up at first, as I took too broad of an approach. Make sure you know why you want to be a consultant and why IBM.

I received my offer 4 business days after my interview.

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Herndon, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview was very straight forward. I interviewed for the position in Baton Rogue and was flown to Herndon, VA for the interview. I had three separate interviews which included one case study and two behavioral interviews. The case study was fairly simple if you prepared for a normal case study type interview. I suggest looking over the frameworks and youtube videos from Caseinterview.com, it was very helpful. They basically wanted to see your thought process when given a question with no details. Make sure you ask the right questions to probe for the correct answer. The first behavioral interview was like any normal interview with questions such as "tell me a time when you were forced to make a decision with little information". The second interview had the interviewer ask you situational questions such as "what would you do if ___ happened?. After interviewing, I was told that I would hear within two weeks of a decision. All of the interviewers were very nice and wanted to get to know you.

Interview Questions

• Case Study Question: Burrito Company A has declining profit, and Burrito Company B has steady profit. Why could this be? What could Burrito Company A do to fix this?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time when you had little information to solve a problem?   Answer Question