IBM IT Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM IT Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

IT Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

College hire - IBM came to university and did three back to back interviews about 30 minutes each. First two interviews were basically in reference to my resume and why I think I am a good fit for the company - very basic. The third interview shaped more like a "how would you handle xyz" situation.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was answering the "how would you handle xyz" situation. It helps to prepare yourself for case studies and thinking on your toes. Be sure to ask questions about the situation, and say how you came to you conclusion.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

IT Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Applied online through my university career portal, and two weeks later they invited me to their VA office to interview. Had three back to back interviews that included a behavioral interview, technical interview , and a case study. Took two weeks to hear back. The whole process took about a month and a half.

Interview Questions

• They tell you what types of questions they will be asking you. Do your research and be prepared, especially for the case study.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

IT Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview

There were 3 rounds of interview - one teleconference which lasted for an hour and covered topics based on past experience and approaches to simple problems, an email test that included several assignments evaluating technical and practice-oriented skills and competencies; the final round was again a teleconference that lasted for 30 minutes with focus on preferred location, date of onboarding and other minor formalities.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable moving to England or Japan a few weeks later?   Answer Question

IT Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Went through campus recruiting and got the interview.

Was a super day 3 back to back interviews: 1 behavioral, 1 skills placement, and 1 case study.

Got called the next day for a verbal offer and then received a written a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How do you get "old-school" management to jump on board a new idea you might have?   Answer Question

Negotiation

didn't negotiate as they were the best offer I got.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Blacksburg, VA) in October 2013.

Interview

2 Behavioral Interviews 1 Case. 2 of the interviewers were unqualified and unprofessional. Typical interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

3, 30 minute interviews, including one case interview.

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (State College, PA) in September 2011.

Interview

There are three 45-min long interviews - one technical, one behavioral and one administrative. During your interview it's all about differentiating yourself from the others in your interview class. They can't hire everyone so they are only going to the take those that stood out or they remember at the end of the day - doesn't matter your GPA, who you have worked for previously, or where you see yourself going. Do they remember you?

Interview Questions

• How would you hide a life sized elephant in your back yard? How many McDonalds restaurants are in the United States?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Harrisonburg, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

Two phone screenings during my senior year of college. After that, I was given an offer. It was post college but really they could have done a better job.

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Sacramento, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Interviews are very straight forward, and the whole process is light and quick. There will be one technical round followed by a manager interview. Fascinating to note that there would not be a HR profiling round, which felt out of normal to me. Technical round consists of straight forward technology questions, so if you know what you are doing, this round would not be all that difficult, no trick questions here. The discussion with the manager, I never really understood the purpose of it, coz it was just a discussion on matters ranging from IT to football - so it's just a discussion, and that's it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can negotiate, something that I wasn't sure. Negotiation actually happens with an HR who you will only recognize by voice.

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Bethesda, MD) in October 2009.

Interview

The interview process included three 30 minutes back-to-back interviews, mostly behavioral questions. There were very few technical questions which were very easy. If you are a computer science major, you will certainly answer it, so don't worry about that. If you apply for a consulting position, the first thing your interviewer will asses is this: "If I put this candidate in front of a client, will he/she be able to represent IBM?"
    After you pass the interview, they will send you a test called IPAT. It is an intelligence test. Make sure to research it online before start taking it; your whole employment is dependent on the result of this test.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question just a basic behavioral interview. I guess the only question that I had to think a little bit was "Tell me about one of your weaknesses"   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation; it was basically "This is the offer, do you want it or not? answer with yes or no".