IBM Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (Research Triangle Park, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend and prompted for GPA and work experience by email the next day.
I replied and was asked to interview on-campus the day after that.
I was interviewed by a team of people. (3 in the room and others on the phone listening in)
Interview was mostly behavioral/past experiences with no technical implementation questions.
I was kindly told 2.5 weeks later that the position was filled. Pretty good and straightforward experience overall.

Interview Questions

• How would you rate yourself in Java and Python?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about your favorite project from one of your CS courses.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was told that I passed the first screening weeks later. Got an email saying that I was to take an online test within the next 5 business days that I would be receiving "soon". 5 days later, I have to yet to receive said link and had no contact info for the recruiter from the first email that they sent me, so I attempted to email through IBM's general support site and was greeted with either an automated response or a response from someone who did not even attempt to read my email and responded based on the subject field. I then managed to find only the recruiter's name who sent me the email, on the application site of all places (but there was no email or any other contact info). I looked up the recruiter's name in the company directory and emailed them and not surprisingly got no response whatsoever. The company has forgotten to send me the test and all my efforts to contact them have been useless. Horrible experience.

Interview Questions

• I never received the coding test that I was supposed to take.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview process was held on campus. Applied for 10 different positions got reject for all of them. An unfriendly reject emails from IBM. I will definitely try again and apply for IBM. I am not stopping anyone from applying to IBM. Just sharing my experience.

Interview Questions

• Behavioural questions were asked. Interview process was held on campus. Applied for 10 different positions got reject for all of them. An unfriendly reject emails from IBM.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IBM in February 2017.

Interview

I applied on IBM's career website for what I thought was a spring internship and didn't hear anything back and pretty much forgot about it. In January I was sent an email asking me to complete an IQ assessment. The assessment contained a lot of logic questions that were timed and was overall pretty difficult. It does not give you an indication of how you did but I thought I did well. Then maybe a month later I was sent another email to schedule a phone screen interview. The interview was with one of the managers in the department that I was applying for so I knew that it would be more technical in nature. To prepare for the interview I studied up on IBM and all of the relevant information I had learned in my coursework on network protocols, firewalls, etc to help me answer the questions. My interview lasted about an hour and about 45 minutes of that was me explaining my knowledge of different terms and concepts. At the end of the interview I was told the next thing that would happen is I would receive one of three things: 1) an email for follow-up interview, 2) a rejection letter 3) an offer letter. About three weeks later I received a background check consent letter to fill out which pretty much told me I had it. Background was completed in about 4 days and I received an offer letter shortly after.

From start to finish I only had one interview and that was over the phone. The most important thing is to be able to convey your understanding of the technical part of your role as well as the willingness to learn. I was able to say I didn't know somethings but followed it up with "I'm ready to learn" attitude.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Gave an aptitude test for an hour mostly consisting sequences and fraction problems. These problems are quite tricky and will require some amount preparation. Checked on the portal for status which was changed to reject after 4 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Had a behavioral phone screen with HR recruiter who was initially pleasant but only for the first minute or so.

After the recruiter's spiel about the internship, she mentions that the position would be part-time in the spring, full-time in the summer, and then part-time again during the fall. The job posting only mentioned that it was for the spring and the summer, so I told her that it was possible I would not be able to work during the fall due to personal conflicts. She tells me that they were looking for someone who could meet the time commitment but says she'd relay the info to the hiring manager and continue the interview.

Thought that was nice of her since I clearly did not meet their availability requirements. But unfortunately, I thought too soon.

She started the rest of the interview with some basic behavioral questions. However, it quickly became apparent that she did not care to listen to our conversation because she kept asking questions about things that I had already mentioned in previous answers (e.g. asking if I had Agile experience when I clearly and thoroughly mentioned it when I explained my internship experience). In fact, it wasn't much of a conversation than a rapid fire Q&A session read off of some HR interview script. The best question I got: "Do you have problem analysis skills?"

I understand that my unavailability during the fall placed my application at a disadvantage, but that is no excuse to be rude and unprofessional toward your interviewees, especially if the accurate information was not specified on the job posting. Baffling that IBM allows such unprofessionalism in their recruitment process.

Interview Questions

• Do you have problem analysis skills?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Very comfortable. It was a conversation. She asked me questions, listened and added her thoughts to what I was saying, making it feel very relaxed and easy. The questions were mainly about previous experience and things like that.
    When I had a second set of interviews when trying to go from intern to full time it was similar. Two interviews over two hours. First was behavioral, about what you've done, second was situational, about what you would do in a hypothetical.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral: Tell me about a time when you needed to take lots of data and turn it into something that told a story or gave simple information out of it.   Answer Question
    • Situational: Imagine you have found a new (tech) solution from a 3rd party company that you want to implement immediately within your own business unit, how would you proceed?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in June 2016.

Interview

paperwork in the morning first, when you pass the paper test you will be divided into groups and have the group discussion in the afternoon. The results will be told days after.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Basic behavioral questions over phone, then a few skype interviews
    They just want to get to know you, and gauge your interest and knowledge of the company and your specific field
    Overall, average questions (mainly behavioral)

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

They started their intern search a little late, so i think it was a little expedited. Started off with an initial phone call that was mostly behavioral with a few questions regarding my proficiency in coding. Then I took their IQ test which was pretty hard, and then received a second call from another engineer that spoke to me more about technical aspects and where I could possibly fit in on their team. Overall a fairly easy interview with very friendly people.

Interview Questions

• What languages do you know?   1 Answer