IBM Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Intern Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2017

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Gave an aptitude test for an hour mostly consisting sequences and fraction problems. These problems are quite tricky and will require some amount preparation. Checked on the portal for status which was changed to reject after 4 months.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Had a behavioral phone screen with HR recruiter who was initially pleasant but only for the first minute or so.

After the recruiter's spiel about the internship, she mentions that the position would be part-time in the spring, full-time in the summer, and then part-time again during the fall. The job posting only mentioned that it was for the spring and the summer, so I told her that it was possible I would not be able to work during the fall due to personal conflicts. She tells me that they were looking for someone who could meet the time commitment but says she'd relay the info to the hiring manager and continue the interview.

Thought that was nice of her since I clearly did not meet their availability requirements. But unfortunately, I thought too soon.

She started the rest of the interview with some basic behavioral questions. However, it quickly became apparent that she did not care to listen to our conversation because she kept asking questions about things that I had already mentioned in previous answers (e.g. asking if I had Agile experience when I clearly and thoroughly mentioned it when I explained my internship experience). In fact, it wasn't much of a conversation than a rapid fire Q&A session read off of some HR interview script. The best question I got: "Do you have problem analysis skills?"

I understand that my unavailability during the fall placed my application at a disadvantage, but that is no excuse to be rude and unprofessional toward your interviewees, especially if the accurate information was not specified on the job posting. Baffling that IBM allows such unprofessionalism in their recruitment process.

Interview Questions

• Do you have problem analysis skills?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Very comfortable. It was a conversation. She asked me questions, listened and added her thoughts to what I was saying, making it feel very relaxed and easy. The questions were mainly about previous experience and things like that.
    When I had a second set of interviews when trying to go from intern to full time it was similar. Two interviews over two hours. First was behavioral, about what you've done, second was situational, about what you would do in a hypothetical.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral: Tell me about a time when you needed to take lots of data and turn it into something that told a story or gave simple information out of it.   Answer Question
    • Situational: Imagine you have found a new (tech) solution from a 3rd party company that you want to implement immediately within your own business unit, how would you proceed?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Basic behavioral questions over phone, then a few skype interviews
    They just want to get to know you, and gauge your interest and knowledge of the company and your specific field
    Overall, average questions (mainly behavioral)

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

They started their intern search a little late, so i think it was a little expedited. Started off with an initial phone call that was mostly behavioral with a few questions regarding my proficiency in coding. Then I took their IQ test which was pretty hard, and then received a second call from another engineer that spoke to me more about technical aspects and where I could possibly fit in on their team. Overall a fairly easy interview with very friendly people.

Interview Questions

• What languages do you know?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

The first step is group interview. All candidates divided into two groups to solve one problem in ten minute. After group discussion, there was an presentation by one of candidates in each group. The second interview is personal. All questions are about resume.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Really easy interview process. My former manager reached out to me and had about a 30 minute conversation with him. Then, I had another call with some of the employees on the team I was applying for. They asked me about my education, projects, and some basic data structure questions based off of my projects. After that I got an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Littleton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Littleton, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Basic core java questions and detailed screening of projects on resume. The difficulty level of an interview was average. Manager was more interested in the projects i did in spring MVC and node js

Interview Questions

• explain polymorphism in java? explain abstraction in java   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

It was pretty good, interviewer was nice. Talked about OOP and other stuff, no questions on my resume, last about 50 mins. The process was pretty relaxing, Overall, the interview was good.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in January 2016.

Interview

Basic resume walkthrough, nothing too difficult. They asked me to describe everything on my resume and asked follow up questions based on that. They were very engaged and seemed really interested in what I had to say