IBM Applications Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.9

Applications Developer(Java) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Asked technical questions, but no coding. Group interview. 5 other people interviewed me. What is agile development? Have you used testing in your programs? Do you know what a framework is? Why do you want to work for IBM? I did not know answers to about 50% of questions. I also am taking a summer class, so this may have been the reason why I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

• What is agile development?   1 Answer

Applications Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Baton Rouge, LA) in March 2017.

Interview

First I had to take the IPAT exam. Which according to the recruiter doesn't weigh in on the hiring process. Then I had a behavioral interview followed by a technical interview. Neither were too bad. The people interviewers were very nice and easy to talk to. The questions were all relevant and reasonable in difficulty.

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Boulder, CO).

Interview

The interview took place 20 years ago after I had contracted with IBM. Interview was conducted individually by developers, project managers and executives. Each level of management addressed different areas of interest. They evaluated both the qualifications and the social skills.

Interview Questions

• Describe your past experience and how would you contribute to IBM's success?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Interview was straight and smooth. Asked some basic aptitude, data structure and java questions.
    2 rounds of written test . one is aptitude and other is technical. Then F2F technical interview. Asked some java and unix questions. Then HR round where some behavior questions were asked. Then after 2 weeks I was offered.

Interview Questions

• About some basic data structure and java questions.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

The interview was long and intense. I was asked numerous questions and ended up in a department completely different from what I applied for. They used me for numbers to fulfill obligations to a different department and didn't tell me until I had moved from New York to Louisiana.

Interview Questions

• Write the pseudo code for a program that demonstrates your morning routine.   Answer Question

Entry Level Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Baton Rouge, LA) in March 2016.

Interview

Very smooth interview process.
    The interviewers were nice and very informative about the company and its vision.

It was a three part interview: technical, characteristic, and phone interview.

The interviews were not difficult. Make sure to brush up on a few facts about the company before the interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the basic data types in Java ?   Answer Question
    • How have you dealt with an employee, or customer, who was disatisfied with you/your companies services?   Answer Question

The IBM community did not seem to be very stable (according to employees that I had spoken too).
    Although the offer was for entry level pay, the role required an unknown amount of hours per week (salary position), which was too low for my personal preference.

Interview

phone,in person,face to face,overall app understanding,core,prev project,company,HR related,location constraints,offer,onshore chances,architecture,Program,functional,people management,salary,benefits,prev company,reason for leaving,long, term plans,strengths,Question relevant for project life cycle. Managing of multiple projects. Cost management, time management, Quality management etc. Continuous improvement, Lean, Waterfall, V model, Agile project management

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (East Lansing, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with IBM employees at the East Lansing office who have similar developer skills. More than one employee cautioned me against working here, and stated that the East Lansing Michigan Development Center was really an in-house temp agency for IBM, morale was very low, and this is only an option if you have to stay in the Lansing area. I was told that your career is secondary to the goals of the leadership team here, who are only there to serve themselves. There is no one to talk to about your career goals as all that matters is your hourly "utilization rate." A reoccurring comment was that the manager's here are absolutely terrible leaders and could care less about their people. Turnover is very high due to how badly people are treated. The mangers, called a Blue Manager, apparently can blow off all questions or concerns from their direct reports and seemingly only care about how many hours you can work in a week. One person mentioned that he had only met his manager two or three times in three years. He also said this manager does his yearly review but has no clue or idea of what the person worked on all year.

There appears to be nothing normal about this office as no one has permanent seating and people are grouped together by skills in an open and very, loud, call center-like area. There is no free coffee or free anything (no perks, period) unless the leadership staff have scraps and leftovers to hand out after a meeting. There are no events or activities like there might be at a normal IBM office. The employee policies are also different than they are for all other IBM employees. Be sure to ask about this as one person flat out lied to me when I brought up the issue. One woman told me how she became very ill and had to take one week off for sick days. Her manager told her that every hour she was out would have to be made up for by working nights and weekends. The minimum hours that can be billed here is 45 per week, not including any administrative tasks your manager might give you, such as mandatory training. These hours are on top of your 45 hours per week. You cannot take a vacation day without giving three to four months notice. There are no advancement opportunities other than what is related to your billable hours nor are there positions to advance to in East Lansing. I have a family friend who is retired from IBM and she said that you can work for one year and then transfer but this also appears to not apply to employees here as no one heard of this and no one knew of anyone who has done it successfully.

Interview Questions

• What project experience do you have from school? What kind of projects did you work on?   Answer Question

Applications Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Baton Rouge, LA) in February 2016.

Interview

Very organized. Relaxed yet professional. Consisted of two interviews: technical and behavioral. Technical went over the text book questions about procedural and object-oriented programming. Nice way to prepare would be to have a simple example ready for each of the basic concepts you'd find in a text book. To prepare for the behavioral, read about IBM's 1-3-9. It lays out their values. Try to describe yourself with those principles in mind. And relax. Don't worry or try too hard. Just answer what you know.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Raleigh, NC) in February 2016.

Interview

I got a call for internship from IBM for SAP Analyst role. And it was converted to full time position. So I did not go through any interview for full time.

In my internship interview, I was asked about my academic projects. I was also asked a few behavioral questions, Agile methodologies etc.