IBM Project Manager/Senior Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Project Manager/Senior Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 5, 2017

2.9

Interview

2 face to face interviews, One phone call

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been dismissed from a project? if "yes", why? If "no" does it signify that you do not push hard enough?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with senior IBM resource manager by chance at a job fair in manhattan on a friday. After some causual and snappy discussion, he asked for my resume, which I had on me. It was crisp, well written, engaging and firmly planted the hook. He then directed me to some additional colleagues, who gave me an on the spot rapid fire 10 minute round robin interview, which concluded with scheduling a meeting and formal interview/vetting for the following monday.
    When I showed up on monday, they had all the offer letters, hiring forms and other paperwork ready and made me an offer. I worked for IBM for two years and then
    Left for a BBD on Wall street. To this day my decision to leave IBM was the most difficult one I have ever made in my professional career, and I would go back to IBM in a heartbeat.
    The point is, be prepared, and be prepared for anything, and be prepared to be decisive and confident on who you are, what you know, and what you don't. Smart, experienced, talented people can smell BS and indecisiveness mile away.

Interview Questions

• In your mind, What woud be the worst case scenario for you while working at IBM ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not to wisecrack, but They made an offer I could not refuse. It was best and last, and it was a very good and fair offer.

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Newark, NJ).

Interview

One in-person interview with the client with the engagement manager present and an IBM project manager on the phone.

Interview Questions

• The client asking a question of me about agile management and the IBM project manager interrupting the client and telling the client that we do not do agile management.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in January 2013.

Interview

Short Interview - ask questions about PM experience, type of projects, how many years, worse project why, best project why, management of risk, communication skills, how to handle difficult personalities, project planning tools, how to manage budget, how to measure progress

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very easy - just ask if the rate was acceptable - I said yes

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2012.

Interview

Just had 1 phone interview

Negotiation

No no negotiation possible

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in June 2012.

Interview

first, I got an email saying they are interested in my background, they direct me to a link which has some related tests, I finished the tests online, then I got an email confirmation saying wait for the feedbacks. Later on, I got a phone call from them, asked me to go to the onsite interview.

not interested

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

Interview process was extremely lengthy probably due to the fact that IBM carefully screens candidates. Went through 3 separate interviews first with one on one followed by group panel 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How often would you be available for travel at a moment's notice?   1 Answer

The work location simply wasn't convenient in terms of commute. During the initial interview process there was no mention of the downtown location other than IBM had various sites from which to choose.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in March 2011.

Interview

Phone interview to discuss the position and work environment.

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate. Offer was "as is".

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in June 2010.

Interview

Interview process was detailed and extensive. Interviews included the hiring partner and various associates.
    Because each consulting candidate will be used for a large variety of customer engagements, expectations during the interview process is about finding the best candidates available.
    New hires are expected the sink or swim based on their own skills and knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was firm with my request. There was limited negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Tampa, FL) in March 2009.

Interview

Plan to speak to multiple PM methodologies, SDLC, Agile, SCRUM. All standard PMO pracitces apply in this environmment and it is expected of all PM to contribute any process improvements they can identify as a result of their contract or client engagements via a Lessons earned Log file. Prefessional demeanor most recognized is a positive, 'how can I help' attitude. Damage control, problem resolution skill are a MUST.

Interview Questions

• H would I handle an unruly/unhappy customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

straight forward