IBM Quality Assurance Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Interview

The hiring process was very clean. I was called by a senior recruiter and was given a description of the job. Then I spoke with the Manager of the team followed by a call the following week with 2 engineers via facetime. I got a a call the next day confirming that they were willing to offer me the position. The questions weren't really very hard and were basic Data Structures and OOP questions. One of the engineers asked me to explain to him how to write a program to find a plaindrome by ignoring symbols in the string.

Interview Questions

• Check if a word is a palindrome by ignoring the symbols present in the word. For example, $$AA,^G(O&G are palindromes, but A%B, $, #RT^ are not.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Costa Mesa, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Two interviews with two Functional Verification Test managers. First setup an hour-long phone interview and asked me about my current role on my team, questions about previous projects, and an explanation of what the job responsibilities consist of. The manager called me a week later saying they selected me for the position.

During this time, a second manager called me on my office number and gave me a quick 10-minute on the spot interview asking what I did on my team and he told me I was exactly what he was looking for.

Never got an offer from either of them. Lot of politics at play in IBM... Don't believe anyone until you have an offer!

Interview Questions

• Describe a project I had in school and what were my roles in the group   1 Answer
    • Did I ever have to deal with the changing of plans during a project?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Tucson, AZ) in December 2009.

Interview

1 on 1 meeting with the hiring manager. HR called with the offer. Offer letter follows within a week.

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Tucson, AZ) in July 2009.

Interview

Started with email outreach. Followed by brief phone call setting up initial interview. First interview was with a Manager. Then there was a follow up interview with the Test Team lead.

Negotiation

I did not attempt to negotiate

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in January 2009.

Interview

phone intermview and site interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

tell them you have another offer

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in November 2013.

Interview

I got a phone interview because I was in Waterloo and the job was in Ottawa.
    Interview was nice and short, around 20 mins or so. I was asked a lot of personality questions and not much technical question

Interview Questions

• Other than the usual personality questions, one technical question was: if there is a linked list that we are iterating through, how can we check if there is a loop in the list.   1 Answer

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jerusalem (Israel)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Jerusalem (Israel)).

Interview

Was asked to explain about a project I did in school, what the difficulties were and how I overcame them. Was then asked what positive/negative qualities I think a good QA engineer needs to have. Then was asked what tests I would run on an electric kettle. After that a few puzzles.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in September 2010.

Interview

Applyed online through university career website. A week later, got an email to schedule the interview. The interview itself took an hour.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if two projects are due at same time?   Answer Question

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)) in April 2010.

Interview

They preferred phone interview to avoid making me travel, quite considerate.
    Mostly technical questions:
    - How to accomplish some goal using Unix/Linux operating system commands
    - SQL query related questions, joins
    - Simple DB theory questions, primary key
    - Basic QA theory questions such as white box vs black box

Interview Questions

• Difference between an inner and outer join with example   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no ability to negotiate as it was a student position