IBM Research Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Research Intern Interview Questions

2.3

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by an IBM employee requesting an interview. It was a 30 minutes phone call about my interests and what the group at IBM did. It was more of trying to figure out if we had similar research interests as opposed to being "tested" for my technical skills.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's an internship. No negotiations. Their terms were pretty good

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Hawthorne, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied couple intern positions online then got two calls from different research teams. Both teams intended to give the offer... then I have selected the one who reached me first. Very nice interviewers.

Summer Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

A phone interview by project manager plus technical guy. Mainly talk about my research and introduce their project and research at IBM health informatics research. Really enjoyable experience.

Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Hawthorne, NY) in September 2009.

Interview

I was a PhD student. They were hiring a research intern, looking for a very specific skill set. The manager happens to be a collaborator of my advisor. Though I did not have a very good background on the topic, I passed the interview and got the offer. Of course, I proved myself to them.

Interview Questions

• Briefly present your work during the phone interview, they will sporadically challenge you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (White Plains, NY) in May 2008.

Interview

I had a single phone interview prior to accepting the position. Initial contact was initiated by my graduate adviser. It took a gentle email reminder two weeks after initial contact to get the interview scheduled. I was simply asked to describe in detail the work I had done that was most relevant to the position. Followup questions probed for more details rather than grilling on knowledge. The process seemed like more of a formality.

Interview Questions

• Describe your prior experience, research, and projects.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Bengaluru (India)) in January 2012.

Interview

I got this opportunity to phone interview by submitting my resume through a recruiter contact I got during a conference. I have not heard from them yet.
    For the phone interview, I was expecting questions about projects from my resume but the questions were from the courses I took. I think since the person was working on a Data mining/Machine Learning, lot of questions from ML was asked. Much depends on the interviewer but I think it is good to review your more research-based courses if any.

Interview Questions

• Questions based on past experience and projects in language processing.   1 Answer
    • Difference between discriminative and generative learning models. Is SVM discriminative or generative.   Answer Question
    • Explain Text Categorization as a generative learning task.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Pune (India)) in November 2010.

Interview

IBM came to our campus (DCE, Delhi) to hire for the position of Research Intern in India Storage Lab. They asked for resumes to be mailed and then they shortlisted by reviewing them. This shortlisting was followed by an online aptitude test. All shortlisted students then got invited to its Gurgaun branch (GBS). They took an another aptitude test followed by a technical test comprising questions from OS, DS, C, C++ etc. I got shortlisted and got call for interview. Interview was on telephone on the same day. Interviewer was quite cool person who asked me about myself, my prior work experience and my interests followed by technical questions on computer networking (TCP, UDP), Operating system (Mutex, Semaphore), Datastructure problems and few other questions.

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in June 2009.

Interview

I applied online for the internship program and then waited for like 3 months until I get the email from one project manager at IBM and setup a phone interview. Interviewers include a group of engineers and research scientists. The questions were mostly non-technical questions such as why IBM, why research, etc.