IBM Research Staff Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Research Staff Member Interview Questions

2.8

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I met the manager in person at a conference and was called onsite for interviewing. I had close to 9 rounds that lasted for an entire day. My day began at 9am and ended at 6:30pm. I was interviewed on technical skills, puzzles, coding problems, deep learning/machine learning related questions, statistics questions, system building skills, a presentation of 1 hour for my talk. The interview was for a CS position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied to the position via online. I received an email from the manager followed by two telephonic calls followed by a job talk. After a few weeks they asked me to come to their New York office where I met 15-20 researchers and gave a job talk.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding machine learning and text mining. Conceptual questions about supervise machine learning algorithms   1 Answer
    • How will you handle overfitting?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Yorktown Heights, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

1h Presentation of my PhD work, and then 1 to 1 meetings with different bright researchers in my research area. The meetings took the first day afternoon (after the presentation), plus the entire following day. I was stressed at the beginning but after the first 1 to 1 I was surprised. We talked about research interests and brainstorm a lot. It was not a 'pressure'-interview where you feel like in front of a jury. It was about research. Very good process, very open-minded.

Interview Questions

• Nothing special. Researchers explained to me what they were doing and I explained to the my background and what I'd like to do.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Emailed and heard back probably two weeks later. Had a preliminary interview at the office with basic questions with the main manager. Said he wanted to do a follow-up phone interview doing a mock sales call. Then proceeded to have a final interview with owner All of the questions were pretty basic, nothing out of the ordinary. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, why do you want to do sales, why IBM, etc.

Interview Questions

• Emailed and heard back probably two weeks later. Had a preliminary interview at the office with basic questions with the main manager. Said he wanted to do a follow-up phone interview doing a mock sales call. Then proceeded to have a final interview with owner   Answer Question

Research Staff Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online, 3 phone interviews about my research, interview with manager briefly talk about my research and what they are doing, interview with team same thing, but i've got to hear specific areas of each team member , followup interview. asked some unclear things. invited onsite interview,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very easy going. People were nice and passionate about what they do. The interview started with an hour long talk, followed by a panel interview. Then we had 1:1 for the rest of the day and a part of the second day.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were based on how I would apply my previous work to their projects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA).

Interview

The interviews span two days. It starts with a research talk and then 30-45 min interviews with roughly 15-20 people. Most of the interviews are easy as they are interested in asking about your vision and what you want to do. In some cases, they would describe the problems they are working on and look for your suggestions and ideas. You would meet a diverse set of people with different background.

Interview Questions

• There are no difficult questions as they are mostly open ended. They especially center around your research area and occasionally the interviewers would tell their problems and look for your suggestions and ideas. If you have a strong publication record and they are looking for people with your background then its easy to crack it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Yorktown Heights, NY).

Interview

Gave a presentation, which was followed by 9 rounds of interviews. Mostly "fluffy" questions though

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.. they give you a standard package based on your position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

Entire process is like interview for faculty position. You will meet at least 20 researchers, managers, and VPs. Each individual meeting lasts 45-60 mins. You will feel beaten at the end of a day. However, there is another day and you will go through the process all over again.
    No hard questions are asked. Most around your own research. Overall, it is a very pleasant interview process.

Interview Questions

• Being asked how my research can be transformed to business, and help IBM business in general. To be honest, never think about things this way. So, better get prepared for such questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

You will deliver a talk/presentation based on your Ph.D. work. There will be one-to-one interviews that last for two full days. There will typically be a round table with those who interviewed you. The hiring manager will lead the discussion and make the final decision whether to give you an offer.