IBM Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 9, 2017

2.8

104 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I was contacted by the HR a week after submitting at the career fair. I was given two phone interviews by different members of the same team. Each interview lasts about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• No technical problems, mainly on the past experience on the resume.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

The interviewer was very friendly. He started by describing the research that is going on in IBM right now. Then he asked about my research and I went in substantial details. Finally he asked a couple machine learning questions, mainly on unsupervised learning. No coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would group a large collection on emails into various categories, without knowing the number or type of categories in advance.   Answer Question

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in February 2017.

Interview

I was asked to join a conference with 6 people interviewing me. Not everyone was active. However, they asked me a few questions about my resume. The position was New York based.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen on research followed by onsite interview. One hour presentation and questions. This was followed by individual sessions with 12-15 researchers of each approximately 30 minutes. Each session depends on the researcher who is interviewing you. Some can be hard and some can be relaxing but it is a great place to be in. The presentation was extremely well attended even by senior managers.

Interview Questions

• Lots of research specific questions where they dig into details of your work. Due to the diverse nature of researchers present in your panel some of them would be very comfortable in your area and they can ask good questions which need well thought answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

I got two phone interviews from different researchers in one group after application. They asked me to describe my research experiences, and asked questions based on my description. I applied early, in October. They haven't open their application process yet. So they haven't decided to give me the offer or not yet. But I have to check one result, so I checked the one showing I get the offer and accept it (hope so).

Interview Questions

• Describe your research projects. They ask questions through my description.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It is a campus recruitment. I was asked several questions about my research. No technical questions. It is a pretty pleasant interview, but I did not get the onsite invitation.

Research Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I met the manager in person at a conference and was called onsite for interviewing. I had close to 9 rounds that lasted for an entire day. My day began at 9am and ended at 6:30pm. I was interviewed on technical skills, puzzles, coding problems, deep learning/machine learning related questions, statistics questions, system building skills, a presentation of 1 hour for my talk. The interview was for a CS position.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IBM (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

They contact me after finding my resume at Grace Hopper DB. The interview was at the conference. Mostly asking about my experience, how to deal with difficulties at work, when my graduation date will be and what I expect from the internship.

Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in September 2016.

Interview

I had half hour interviews with representatives of different research teams from 3 centers of IBM research. Each of them described their own group's research, and talked about other projects that their center looks at, before moving on to asking me about my background projects, and a description of my research projects. I was well versed with my own projects, and so was able to answer questions about implementation details or design choices in my algorithms. I also had one accepted publication, and one publication in review at the time of application, so I think that helped considerably.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty standard phone interview process as others on Glassdoor has described already (thank you guys!). The interviewer started off with a concise description of the position that they are hiring for and then started asking questions. The questions are mainly about the resume/CV and the experiences that I had that associates with the position. There are a lot of in-depth questions. The reasons, I guess, are either because my background fits well with the position or my answers led to more questions (not sure it is good or bad yet since I am waiting on feedback from them).

Interview Questions

• Can you provide a walk-through of your CV and highlight your experiences that relates to the position?   Answer Question