IBM Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.8

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen on research followed by onsite interview. One hour presentation and questions. This was followed by individual sessions with 12-15 researchers of each approximately 30 minutes. Each session depends on the researcher who is interviewing you. Some can be hard and some can be relaxing but it is a great place to be in. The presentation was extremely well attended even by senior managers.

Interview Questions

• Lots of research specific questions where they dig into details of your work. Due to the diverse nature of researchers present in your panel some of them would be very comfortable in your area and they can ask good questions which need well thought answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

I got two phone interviews from different researchers in one group after application. They asked me to describe my research experiences, and asked questions based on my description. I applied early, in October. They haven't open their application process yet. So they haven't decided to give me the offer or not yet. But I have to check one result, so I checked the one showing I get the offer and accept it (hope so).

Interview Questions

• Describe your research projects. They ask questions through my description.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It is a campus recruitment. I was asked several questions about my research. No technical questions. It is a pretty pleasant interview, but I did not get the onsite invitation.

Research Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I met the manager in person at a conference and was called onsite for interviewing. I had close to 9 rounds that lasted for an entire day. My day began at 9am and ended at 6:30pm. I was interviewed on technical skills, puzzles, coding problems, deep learning/machine learning related questions, statistics questions, system building skills, a presentation of 1 hour for my talk. The interview was for a CS position.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IBM (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

They contact me after finding my resume at Grace Hopper DB. The interview was at the conference. Mostly asking about my experience, how to deal with difficulties at work, when my graduation date will be and what I expect from the internship.

Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in September 2016.

Interview

I had half hour interviews with representatives of different research teams from 3 centers of IBM research. Each of them described their own group's research, and talked about other projects that their center looks at, before moving on to asking me about my background projects, and a description of my research projects. I was well versed with my own projects, and so was able to answer questions about implementation details or design choices in my algorithms. I also had one accepted publication, and one publication in review at the time of application, so I think that helped considerably.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty standard phone interview process as others on Glassdoor has described already (thank you guys!). The interviewer started off with a concise description of the position that they are hiring for and then started asking questions. The questions are mainly about the resume/CV and the experiences that I had that associates with the position. There are a lot of in-depth questions. The reasons, I guess, are either because my background fits well with the position or my answers led to more questions (not sure it is good or bad yet since I am waiting on feedback from them).

Interview Questions

• Can you provide a walk-through of your CV and highlight your experiences that relates to the position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

telephonic interviews, written test, analyzing papers. WRITING SUMMARY AND DESCRIBING IT IN YOUR OWN WORDS. Overall the process was to getting candidate acquainted with nature of job and to identify if the candidate is good fit for the role.

Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in March 2016.

Interview

One of the engineer researchers, later became my mentor, called me and just asked about my experience of my previous research at school. And a week later offered me a position as a research intern.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background, why cs. Tell me about your research.   Answer Question

Interview

One phone screening. one phone interview and one on-site interview, which is the more technical one. The on-site interview can substituted by a Skype interview if the candidate cannot make it to the site. The phone interview includes personality questions and questions about previous experience/projects, and the on-site interview is more technical and requires writing different codes and answering logical questions.

Interview Questions

• Previous projects that are related to the position you apply for.   Answer Question