IBM Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 24, 2017
5,520 Interview Reviews

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

applied online, and got an OA online interview which includes 3 coding questions and 5 video question. Coding are fairly simple and video needs you more time to prepare. Overall it is very simple and you can prepare it by staring looking at some basic behavior questions online

Software QA Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

It was a great and nice experience. Had face to face interview and it was very easy. First the interviewer asked about myself and then stepped on to the projects.

Chief Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Applied through university. First round was two 45 minute interviews involving case questions. I didn't make it to the second round, but a few friends did. They never emailed to let me know I wasn't going forward.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through my campus career center job board. I was invited to interview with IBM where they came to my campus. I couldn't make that because I was attending another interview in another city. They scheduled me 7 days later for a virtual interview through HireVue.

The interview was comprised of 3 back to back interviews, each around 30 minutes each. How it played out:

Interview 1: My first interview was... interesting. The interviewer was not part of the CbD program at all. He started out with "Tell me about yourself", and then just asked me to walk him through my resume and college experiences. After that, he let me ask him questions, signaling the end of the interview. He wasn't too well versed with the CbD program as he couldn't really answer some of the questions I had about it. He told me he "had no clue" for one of them. Interview lasted ~15 minutes from start to finish.

Interview 2: This was the case interview. Case was about a luxury Yacht company. Interviewer gave me qualitative facts (some I needed, some I didn't really) and I had to tell him profit, revenue, and conditions for break even. Make sure you write all the numbers down quick, and can do basic math on the spot. Also you're not given all the information you need so make sure to ask questions and ask for additional information as you see fit. At the end he asks if you have questions for him. This one lasted ~30 minutes.

Interview 3: This one was more behavioral. Interviewer was not very professional or discrete. The interviewer asked me some basic questions "Why did you choose x major?", and "What is your gpa?". He then asked behavioral questions. Some were more IBM specific (situations concerning IBM work environment, IBM systems, IBM technology), and some were generic situations. Make sure to use specific examples from your past experience and be sure that your example properly address the question asked. He asked follow up questions on a few of my responses. He then closed by allowing me to ask him questions. He threw me off a bit because the whole time, 25% of his face was out of the camera frame. In addition, he also yawned a few times and ate some of his sandwich. I didn't really mind it too much personally, but it distracted me a little while I was talking. Interview went for about ~45 minutes because he accidentally skipped over a few questions on his sheet during the interview and asked me them later, after I asked him questions. He was otherwise nice and was polite.

All in all, the interview was not too hard, but there is necessary preparation to be done before. I do think it could've been conducted a little bit better. The structure of the two behavioral interviews was confusing. I think IBM could've also picked better interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why should a company choose IBM in the U.S if they can go to India and find another company who can do the work for less?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time your work got in the way of your personal life. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What type of consulting would you want to do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to explain a project to someone?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question
    • What is your strength? Give me an example of when you used this skill   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had multiple tasks, projects, etc. How did you handle them all?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in March 2017.

Interview

the coding challenge is a little difficult than I expected, it took me three hours to finish it. Then one week I received an email. I am preparing for the second run.

Technology/Cyber Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

The interviewer unfamiliar with cyber and cyberspace operations. The interview consisted of interviewing with two team member individual in close proximity. It was loud due to close arrangments. The interviewers were very nice but lacked a scope of knowledge on cybersecurity.

Applications Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Baton Rouge, LA) in March 2017.

Interview

First I had to take the IPAT exam. Which according to the recruiter doesn't weigh in on the hiring process. Then I had a behavioral interview followed by a technical interview. Neither were too bad. The people interviewers were very nice and easy to talk to. The questions were all relevant and reasonable in difficulty.

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a very straightforward interview. Two behavioral interviews and one case study. As mentioned elsewhere the case study was regarding a pizza parlor with declining profits. Despite the issue being increasing costs, the interviewer wanted to know how I would raise revenues as well as how I would lower costs.

The questions asked during the behavioral interviews were all questions mentioned in other reviews. "Tell me about a time when a team member was struggling and you had a due date you had to meet." "Tell me about your biggest accomplishment." "Why aren't you returning to your previous place you interned." Point being they were all very straightforward questions.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when a team member was struggling and you had a due date you had to meet."   Answer Question
    • "Tell me about your biggest accomplishment"   Answer Question
    • "If you had to meet a client tomorrow and you're on a new team and you don't know the project nor know the company you're working with... How would you approach this situation to hit the ground running?"   Answer Question

Front End Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IBM in March 2017.

Interview

About 8-10 questions. About 6 of them you're prompted with a question and your webcam records the response (general behavioral and technical questions). The last 3 are a whiteboard test where you choose a language of your choice (JavaScript, Python, or Ruby) and you develop the specified application in that language. Heads up: you are not able to log to the console or set breakpoints. Questions, data, and variables are quite vague too.

I was surprised with how technical the interview was for a front-end web developer internship. Zero regarding HTML and CSS. Very little regarding design concepts. Also, be familiar with object oriented JavaScript if you go that route. They record you the entire time, even while your coding. You can come back later between questions; although, their site does not state that.

Interview Questions

• Final technical test was about writing an object oriented JavaScript application.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was told that I passed the first screening weeks later. Got an email saying that I was to take an online test within the next 5 business days that I would be receiving "soon". 5 days later, I have to yet to receive said link and had no contact info for the recruiter from the first email that they sent me, so I attempted to email through IBM's general support site and was greeted with either an automated response or a response from someone who did not even attempt to read my email and responded based on the subject field. I then managed to find only the recruiter's name who sent me the email, on the application site of all places (but there was no email or any other contact info). I looked up the recruiter's name in the company directory and emailed them and not surprisingly got no response whatsoever. The company has forgotten to send me the test and all my efforts to contact them have been useless. Horrible experience.

Interview Questions

• I never received the coding test that I was supposed to take.   Answer Question