IBM Interview Questions in London, UK | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2017

3.2

Associate Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied for the role online. 5 (yes five) weeks later I received an email (clearly based on a corporate template) from "sandy" saying they would like to arrange a HireView interview. They gave me a single time slot giving 3 days notice. Unfortunately, I had an unavoidable business meeting at the same time so I emailed back asking for alternative times. The next day I received an automated email saying they no longer wished to pursue my application. They did me a favour - by showing me their true colours they saved me wasting any more of my time on them and/ or making a major career error.

Graduate Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied by filling out a simple application form - no CVs or cover letters. I heard back around a week later inviting me to an assessment centre in London in about 10 days time.

There were 12 of us there, split into two groups. I was in a group of 5 for some reason. We did two exercises - the first consisted of pitching an idea for an app to assessors, with time for brainstorming and preparation before a 10 minute presentation. The second exercise asked us to solve a maths problem as a group. The maths problem was very difficult, we didn't complete it in time.

Afterwards, we were asked to wait for roughly 45 minutes before they came in and announced the successful candidates. Only 2 of the 13 progressed, I was not one of them.

It can feel quite brutal, but the assessors are all reasonably friendly and it's not really all that stressful. I followed all the advice I read online - offering to write and keep time, taking the lead etc and was still unsuccessful despite what I thought was a good performance. So I think going in you need to accept that mathematically your odds of being accepted are very low. Honestly just be yourself and try to contribute, help the group and lead the discussion if you can. What I will say though is don't try and dominate the conversation - we had another unsuccessful candidate who tried to do that and I definitely got the vibe that the assessors weren't impressed.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I firstly applied filling a very long form with all sort of standard questions mainly to state experience background and motivation. After about 2 weeks I was sent a link for a an online assessment with usual tests, the math and logic type if quiz. It took about 2 hours. Aftera about a month I was invited to London for a further assegment.

Interview Questions

• Usual socio questions. Weakness, strengths. How did you deal with difficult situations. How do you deal when you disagree with someone as so on.   Answer Question

Graduate Programme Technology Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Comprehensive procedure: online application and interview (i.e. questions to fill in with 75-150 word answers), IPAT competency tests. There's two tests and they comprise numerical series and general algebra and calculus questions.
    Assessment day invitation with a full day of team tasks and interviews: team tasks in the morning in team of 4, and a series of interviews with both recruiting managers for the Grad Programme and managers from departments that were interested in my skills.

Interview Questions

• What's the share price of IBM and why do you think it's that high?   Answer Question

Strategic Analytic Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Online tests, short video interview, assessment centre.
    At the assessment centre had to redo sequence test to check you could do it in person, pretty easy and with plenty of time to check answers.
    Then I had an interview which went through my CV and asked some guesstimate questions. I was also asked to explain an algorithm from my course.
    Then I had a group exercise which involved piecing together logical questions about a seating plan.

Interview Questions

• How many maternity beds are there in the UK?   1 Answer

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Filled out online application form, which involved interview style questions. Then completed cognitive assessment tests, which were very difficult. About a week or two later I was asked to an assessment centre down in London. They do reimburse travel/accommodation which was a bonus. Assessment centre a half day and if you pass the first half, you are put through to the afternoon session. I didn't make it to the 2nd half. But first half consisted of two group work activities - one logical and one presentation. A lot of waiting around, we were there for about four/five hours and only assessed for 90 minutes.
    On my assessment day only 2 people out of 21 got through to the afternoon/interview stage, which was pretty brutal, and as they weren't in my group, I'm not sure where the rest of us went wrong.

Cyber Secyrity Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Stay in the assessment center for the whole afternoon. 2 group exercises: The first one took about 1 hour, analyzing a case and coming up with a solution. The interviewees were taken to have a 20 min interview which is quite general one by one during the exercise. The second one took about 20 mins, solving a logic question.

Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Word document application upload.
    IPAT Tests
    I attended the assessment centre, where I left the process.

The first half of the assessment centre was 2 group exercises. One 30 minutes logic exercise, where as a team you attempt to solve a sudoku type puzzle. One 45 minute group exercise where you have to come up with a business idea as a group and present it to assessors at the end.

I arrived at 8.15AM, and left at 1.30PM. There were about 25 people all for either tech or business consulting, and we were split into groups of 5. This means you are in direct competition. I did both exercises with the same group. Most of the time was spent waiting for other groups to finish.

At 1.30PM about 10 people were selected to go on to the second half of the day, where they are given one on one interviews. I believe they chose 2 from each group.

Why this was a negative experience:

- of the 5 hours 15 minutes I was there, 4 hours were spent waiting, although we were given a short 20 min presentation on IBM.

-I think the process is flawed. I was dismissed based purely on the group exercises. From my perspective I thought I performed well in these, but my group was strong. It ultimately comes down to a bit of luck. I think it's the people who play the game the best - i.e. offer to time keep, write down for the group, that get through.

- I was with 4 candidates out of the 25 most of the day. I think the groups should have been mixed up in the second task.

-My CV/application/background were not taken into account. Not given a chance to express my interest in technology or for the company before I was told to leave, which I spent a lot of time preparing for.

- it was a little humiliating to be dismissed on the day. In my opinion the group exercises and interviews should be on separate days.

The positives:

- it's good practice.
    - I was reimbursed for travel and over night accommodation up to £150 (although was told this takes up to 12 weeks!)

Interview Questions

• Group exercise 2: What is the main selling point (of your business idea)?   Answer Question

Graduate Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Online application, Online Testing, Assessment Centre.

The assessment centre involved a group problem solving exercise (logical reasoning) and a group presentation/case study exercise. After this there was a half-way cut and the successful candidates moved onto further testing. Unfortunately I was eliminated at this stage.

Interview Questions

• How did you come to the conclusion as a group? (for group exercise)   Answer Question

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Submitted an application form before sitting the IPAT test.

Test was difficult, and I definitely thought I had failed, but somehow managed to pass.

At the assessment centre we conducted a group discussion which involved coming up with ideas for an app, before pitching them to the assessors. Following this was the group logic test, I found this very difficult to contribute towards as it turned into everyone talking over one another.

After these exercises half of us were sent home, myself included.