IBM Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

342 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Strategy Consult Interview

Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Armonk, NY).

Interview

Two on campus interviews followed by three back to back on site interviews. The interviews covered a wide variety of styles and methods. I think interviewers were careful to portray different personalities to see how adaptable candidates are.

Interview Questions

• Several case questions about economic and business cases   1 Answer

Consultant - Blockchain Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to apply for the position. Then, a second recruiter called and said I would not be suitable for the position for my lack of professional experience. It seemed like a typical strategy to wean people out, but I had a lot to say, so I described my experience and passion for technology, and I asked to be put through anyway, especially since a previous recruiter had asked me to apply. I was then in contact with two other recruiters who helped me schedule interviews for the rest of the process. This next step involved a simple phone call with someone in the practice, and we had to reschedule several times for some reason. I was not optimistic with these signs, but I was persistent, so I continued to reschedule. After the successful phone call, we moved onto an in-person interview held at a cafe near the interviewer's office. He was late but courteous. My doubts about the application process (as a result of the logistics up to this point) were dispelled by the viewpoints of my interviewers about the company and their teams. Following this, I was scheduled for an on-site interview; although it was not strictly necessary, as I had interviewed in person already, I thought it best to have another point of contact. The interviews in the office were very smooth, and I had someone on the team helping with the logistics, so the whole process that day was very smooth. The last few emails with recruiters after that point were quick, and within a couple of weeks after that, I received a call about an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate. They're fair.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

1. Applied online
    2. Recruiter scheduled call
    3. Telephone interview with Manager
    4. Telephone interview with Peer Manager
    5. Video interview with another manager

Total Time: 2 months

Comments:
    These interviews were over a two month period and after each interview there was little feedback. Finally, after the last interview I had to check my status on the Career site to see the job was on "HOLD" and "Under Manager Review". IBMers on Quora said this meant I was still under consideration. A few weeks later with still no word from the recruiter, I checked again and found the "JOB WAS CANCELED".

I had expected more from IBM after going through 4 interviews and I am not impressed and wary of ever applying for another position given their current recruiting processes as well as the company itself. IBM has strayed far from its well known status as being one of the best tech companies to work for.

Interview Questions

• How would you guide younger co-workers to speak with customers for insights rather than just GOOGLE-ing for an answer?   Answer Question

Applications Developer(Java) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Asked technical questions, but no coding. Group interview. 5 other people interviewed me. What is agile development? Have you used testing in your programs? Do you know what a framework is? Why do you want to work for IBM? I did not know answers to about 50% of questions. I also am taking a summer class, so this may have been the reason why I did not get the position.

Global Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied via college career website and submitted application on IBM's website. I have applied to the same position in Fall 2016, but did not get any response. So I was shocked when I was called back for the Spring 2017 recruitment.

Chief Analytic Office Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Armonk, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Armonk, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The interviewers are nice and friendly. Each took about 40 mins to an hour. Three back-to back interviews with cases and behavior questions. Cases include a market size and a cost and benefit. There are also some basic statistic questions. Behavioral questions weren't hard, just about resume, why fit, teamwork, etc.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

It was the first level and they sent me the link to Hirevue. You have to record your answer. I personally not comfortable with it but it is not that bad that I thought at the very first.

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Armonk, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Just your typical interview process. First round was me recording myself answering questions about devops in general and about myself, second interview was a coding challenge, and the 3rd round was a video call which an IBM employee.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Below is a timeline of what my recruiting process was like:

1/24 - Attended information session on campus
    2/10 - Notified that I had been selected for interview
    2/17 - Participated in interview
    2/22 - Received offer

As others have noted before, there are 3x30 minute interviews: one behavioral, one company/role fit, and one case. There is no specific order in which these take place.

Interviewers were very friendly, and each interview was very conversational. Make sure to be eloquent and friendly -- and ask intelligent questions.

My case was regarding profitability of a pizza parlor. Nothing complicated whatsoever; just ensure that you are explaining your train of thought and asking as many relevant questions as possible.

Interestingly enough, I was never asked the standard "Why IBM? Why consulting? Why not continue with the firm at which you did your summer gig?". I think IBM is really looking for personality and basic competence through these interviews.

Overall an excellent experience. I've included some of the interview questions I received below.

Interview Questions

• You have no information on a client and have to meet them first thing tomorrow morning. What do you do to prepare for this meeting?   3 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you worked on a team and someone didn't pull their weight.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you solved a large problem.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you unsuccessfully taught someone something that you were very familiar with.   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

After applying online they contacted me 4 months later. First they send you an email to schedule an interview and then they call you. First call is about your experience, resume and some behavioral questions. Second interview is a phone screen type interview with a couple of questions about code, time complexity and more about your resume and personal experience.