IBM Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

IBM Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Feb 22, 2017

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

IBM uses HireVue for their coding challenges. I solved the first challenge in under 10 minutes, but the testing suite for the second and third challenge errored out immediately. I subsequently discovered the testing suite contained numerous issues (i.e. several typos, missing brackets, etc.). So, I spent much of the time attempting to debug the testing suite - I haven’t used Node previously nor did I expect to be required to know it for a frontend role. Despite these issues, I managed to implement a binary search for one of the challenges and I solved the other challenge fairly quickly.

Unfortunately, I never heard anything back from IBM. The recruiter assigned to me didn’t even respond to my emails. If this is an indicator of how IBM operates, I might have dodged a bullet. But, I’m upset IBM didn’t have the decency to notify me of a decision since I completed a 3-hour coding challenge for the company.

Interview Questions

• Criteria to determine creating a standalone mobile app or a responsive web app.   Answer Question

Entry Level Cognitive Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Received an invite to participate in Hirevue coding challenge. 7 questions 3 of them being coding challenges. String manipulation and binary parse trees. One machine learning question. Invited to the guru interview 2 weeks later. Jumped right into the technical questions, no behavioral questions. Was asked about locking, scheduling, bit manipulation, binary parse trees, virtual functions, and a couple of short and easy coding problems.

Interview Questions

• What is deadlocking?
      What thread scheduling does Linux use?
      How to swap two int values without using any temporary storage?
      Other short and sweet questions and problems
      Answer Question

Entry Level Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The application process was fairly simple and straight-forward.
    The first round was video recorded interview. It had questions like tell me about yourself and why DevOps and previous experiences in DevOps, which were to be recorded. The next round was scheduled in next month and a half.
    The second round was one on one technical interview. The interviewer was very kind and cooperative. He made the atmosphere very comfortable and allowed me to give him solutions to the coding problems.
    After this, I was invited for Finish line Event in Atlanta, GA. It was a two-day event and very relaxed and informative.
    I received the offer in next 2 hours of the event.

Interview Questions

• Basic coding problems. Lists, Arrays and UNIX Commands.   Answer Question

Junior Software Developer Interview

Application

Interview

It was done online and it was a video interview with 3 programming questions. The video response and coding were timed. There were total of 8 questions. 3 behavioral, 3 coding, 1 explaining one of the coding problem and 1 programming concept. It took a total of about 2.30 hr.

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Video interview conducted by Hirevue. 8 questions in total. The first 2 were behavioral and the rest were technical. You have to record yourself answering questions. You're given about a minute to practice and 3 minutes to record yourself. You can't watch the video back or record another response.

Interview Questions

• Manipulation of a string; What is polymorphism and give an example.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online through their website. The next day an email was sent out requesting that I complete an IPAT test that is linked to continue to the next stage.
    The test is timed where you have to complete a series of cognitive questions before the time runs out. There are plenty of resources describing it if googled, but it can be likened to an IQ test with reasoning, ratios, number sequences, etc.
    The test was to be completed within 7 days, but recommends completion within 2 days. A response by email is usually within a couple of days.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I'm a new college hire. IBM got my resume from a conference database (I never actually applied!) and asked me to complete an online 3 hour coding assessment through hirevue. I didn't get around to doing it before the deadline, but a month or two later I was invited to schedule a "guru" interview with one of their software engineers. This was an hour-long coding interview. The questions (just a couple) were pretty typical and my interviewer was really fun to talk to! Then I was invited to a Finish Line event, but first had to complete the "Guide Interview" (an up-to 30 minute conversation about where you'd like to be) and the original online coding assessment. I did both of these the day before I went to the Finish Line event. The event seemed to be more about convincing us (~200 people) to work at IBM than another assessment. I didn't talk to a human recruiter specifically assigned to me until after an offer was extended.

Interview Questions

• At the finish line event, we were asked to give group presentations to a panel about using IBM technology.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It is a campus recruitment. I was asked several questions about my research. No technical questions. It is a pretty pleasant interview, but I did not get the onsite invitation.

Associate Offering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

The whole interview process took 3 months.
    I applied through the IBM website and was contacted by a recruiter 2 weeks later. They explained to me that the Associate Offering Manager will go through a 3 month training program in Texas, and then deployed to an anonymous place in the U.S.

The recruiter scheduled me to speak to a manager on the phone. The person I spoke to is not the hiring manager, but just one of the managers that assessed my skills. I passed the first phone interview, so the recruiter scheduled me to speak with another manager.

The second manager I spoke with, informed me that he would've hired me on his team if the decision was up to him. Sadly, he said that IBM is a messed up company with a lot of internal issues.

Since the both phone interviews went well, the lead recruiter scheduled me for an onsite group challenge and 1 vs. 1 interview in New York. IBM covered airfare and hotel, which was nice.

The group challenges were a real pain to be involved in. Over 20+ other candidates were there, and we were forced to mingle with one another. Most of them were fresh out of college, inexperienced, from Ivy leagues, and extremely arrogant.

The IBM office in New York is very corporate. No art or colors on the wall, most of the desks were empty-looking, and no one seemed to smile there.

The 1 vs. 1 interviews were okay. The managers I spoke with were nice to me. One even seemed to like me enough to add me on Linkedin. She mentioned to me that IBM is a mess and made sure that I am prepared to work with a lot of growing pains.

After the day-long group challenges and 1 vs. 1 interviews, all the candidates were taken to the airport. The lead recruiter said she would follow up in a week with a response.

I didn't hear back for 2 weeks, so I followed up. The lead recruiter responded back and said she didn't have an answer yet, but should have have a response within 1-2 weeks.
    Two more weeks go by, and no response, so I followed up. No response.

Then One month after the onsite interview, I receive a generic rejection email.

Thanks, IBM. WORST INTERVIEW in history.

I made sure I informed everyone I knew to never apply to IBM.

By the way, I found out that IBM was involved in the Holocaust by building a Jewish registry, and will be building the Muslim registry for the Trump administration.

So glad I don't work for that terrible company now.

Interview Questions

• IBM is very traditional with a lot of stubborn, old employees. How do you work with challenging people?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with two different people. They asked a lot of pretty easy questions that weren't very hard to answer, just your standard questions. They really like enthusiasm and you will to want to work for the company.

Interview Questions

• If you have a problem how do you handle it   1 Answer