IBM Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 12, 2017

362 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied on the IBM website. They got back to me after three weeks. I had two phone interviews, first one was just an introduction from both ends. The interviewer described the project the team is working on and got to know me a little.

Interview Questions

• What tools do you use to keep yourself up to date with the latest technologies   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Below is a timeline of what my recruiting process was like:

1/24 - Attended information session on campus
    2/10 - Notified that I had been selected for interview
    2/17 - Participated in interview
    2/22 - Received offer

As others have noted before, there are 3x30 minute interviews: one behavioral, one company/role fit, and one case. There is no specific order in which these take place.

Interviewers were very friendly, and each interview was very conversational. Make sure to be eloquent and friendly -- and ask intelligent questions.

My case was regarding profitability of a pizza parlor. Nothing complicated whatsoever; just ensure that you are explaining your train of thought and asking as many relevant questions as possible.

Interestingly enough, I was never asked the standard "Why IBM? Why consulting? Why not continue with the firm at which you did your summer gig?". I think IBM is really looking for personality and basic competence through these interviews.

Overall an excellent experience. I've included some of the interview questions I received below.

Interview Questions

• You have no information on a client and have to meet them first thing tomorrow morning. What do you do to prepare for this meeting?   3 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you worked on a team and someone didn't pull their weight.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you solved a large problem.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you unsuccessfully taught someone something that you were very familiar with.   1 Answer

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

3 -30 minute interviews. Two personality based and one case.

Case study focused on how to implement a new HR solution for a global internet based university without having a travel budget or understanding of the business process of the university. How would you train people for the new HR system and what problems will you face? That kinda stuff

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to teach someone something and what worked and what didn't.   1 Answer
    • Explain a time you had to look for more data to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • You're struggling on a project and your supervisor notices and says something, what do you do?   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

After applying online they contacted me 4 months later. First they send you an email to schedule an interview and then they call you. First call is about your experience, resume and some behavioral questions. Second interview is a phone screen type interview with a couple of questions about code, time complexity and more about your resume and personal experience.

Enterprise Sales IBM Weather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

One phone call, one in person meeting with Hiring Manager named Chip from IBM Weather from Wisconsin. 30 min call consisted of questions from HM trying to get an insight into the product pricing scheme employed by my previous employers. He also asked for an advice on how to price the new database that IBM plans to market to HFs. When I tried to focus the conversation back on the interview process he said he has another call and cut the conversation short. Similarly, the in -person meeting which included HM and another individual involved in the database marketing ( he did not offer his business card ) , was focused on discussing a potential "go to" market strategy and questions on how to price their product ( " we don't know ourselves, we just want to know your opinion") in order to maximize the value. No time was spent discussing my credentials , suitability for the position and what the actual position would involve. When I asked about the interview process, the other individual left the room and the HM gave a generic answer that HR will be in touch. It was essentially market research, free consultation session, not a job interview. I suspect there was no position open at all.

Interview Questions

• How should we price the product? Should we market it to one exclusive client for a steep price or multiple clients? Who would be interested in this type of offering?   Answer Question

Patent Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell Junction, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Hopewell Junction, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

IBM flew me out and reimbursed expenses for my trip. The interview lasted approximately two hours plus lunch and I spoke with seven different patent attorneys. No one had any hard-hitting questions; just resume review and conversational style.

Interview Questions

• Explain your previous job requirements.   2 Answers

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a pretty standard interview with an introduction of what they do and what IBM does, then ask about whether I know about this position. Then there are resume based questions and relevant experience questions. No behaviorals, but there are 2 case problems. Simple though.

Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

It was intermediate level of interview session. Had to do online test and once dome we will be notified if we were chosen for the interview.. During the interview day , I sat for another written test which was ok... Wasn't really though but requires a lot of thinking.

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Eight questions via HireVue: five behavioral video responses and three coding. The coding questions relied heavily on string manipulation (parsing, modifying using STL algorithms), and touched on data structures. One had to be comfortable with unordered maps and how to best utilize them (i.e., determine which should be the key and which should be the value for optimal search performance).

Interview Questions

• Define polymorthism and give an example   2 Answers
    • Given a passage, filter out any passage that is present in the other passages. The passages must also be formatted based on a series of rules (blocks of whitespace should be treated as one whitespace, symbols should be ignored, etc)   1 Answer
    • Fizzbuzz.   1 Answer

SEO Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Received a call from a recruiter that I was one of 10 candidates. The next day I was informed that I was now one of two candidates that was being considered. A call was setup and I called in 3 minutes before the call was to take place. They were still interviewing the other candidate and I was asked to hold for a moment, which I did. Once the call began, the main interviewer (there were two of them) rambled on for at least 5 minutes about the position. He then turned the questioning over to the other interviewer and she proceeded to ask me several questions about Marketing Strategy. In a nutshell, at the end of the call they told me that they did not feel good about the call because all I discussed was Strategy and I did not elaborate on Execution, even though they never asked me any questions about execution. They also informed me that they needed to cut the call short without ever asking if I had any questions. This was a huge waste of my time and one of the most unprofessional interviews I have ever had. I also feel like they already had a candidate in mind and they were just going through the motions. I lost alot of respect today for what I thought was a great company. Very disappointing and shocking that IBM would conduct themselves in this manner.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me your SEO process.   1 Answer