IBM Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017

347 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Entry Level Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The application process was fairly simple and straight-forward.
    The first round was video recorded interview. It had questions like tell me about yourself and why DevOps and previous experiences in DevOps, which were to be recorded. The next round was scheduled in next month and a half.
    The second round was one on one technical interview. The interviewer was very kind and cooperative. He made the atmosphere very comfortable and allowed me to give him solutions to the coding problems.
    After this, I was invited for Finish line Event in Atlanta, GA. It was a two-day event and very relaxed and informative.
    I received the offer in next 2 hours of the event.

Interview Questions

• Basic coding problems. Lists, Arrays and UNIX Commands.   Answer Question

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It was done online and it was a video interview with 3 programming questions. The video response and coding were timed. There were total of 8 questions. 3 behavioral, 3 coding, 1 explaining one of the coding problem and 1 programming concept. It took a total of about 2.30 hr.

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Video interview conducted by Hirevue. 8 questions in total. The first 2 were behavioral and the rest were technical. You have to record yourself answering questions. You're given about a minute to practice and 3 minutes to record yourself. You can't watch the video back or record another response.

Interview Questions

• Manipulation of a string; What is polymorphism and give an example.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied online through their website. The next day an email was sent out requesting that I complete an IPAT test that is linked to continue to the next stage.
    The test is timed where you have to complete a series of cognitive questions before the time runs out. There are plenty of resources describing it if googled, but it can be likened to an IQ test with reasoning, ratios, number sequences, etc.
    The test was to be completed within 7 days, but recommends completion within 2 days. A response by email is usually within a couple of days.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I'm a new college hire. IBM got my resume from a conference database (I never actually applied!) and asked me to complete an online 3 hour coding assessment through hirevue. I didn't get around to doing it before the deadline, but a month or two later I was invited to schedule a "guru" interview with one of their software engineers. This was an hour-long coding interview. The questions (just a couple) were pretty typical and my interviewer was really fun to talk to! Then I was invited to a Finish Line event, but first had to complete the "Guide Interview" (an up-to 30 minute conversation about where you'd like to be) and the original online coding assessment. I did both of these the day before I went to the Finish Line event. The event seemed to be more about convincing us (~200 people) to work at IBM than another assessment. I didn't talk to a human recruiter specifically assigned to me until after an offer was extended.

Interview Questions

• At the finish line event, we were asked to give group presentations to a panel about using IBM technology.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It is a campus recruitment. I was asked several questions about my research. No technical questions. It is a pretty pleasant interview, but I did not get the onsite invitation.

Associate Offering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

The whole interview process took 3 months.
    I applied through the IBM website and was contacted by a recruiter 2 weeks later. They explained to me that the Associate Offering Manager will go through a 3 month training program in Texas, and then deployed to an anonymous place in the U.S.

The recruiter scheduled me to speak to a manager on the phone. The person I spoke to is not the hiring manager, but just one of the managers that assessed my skills. I passed the first phone interview, so the recruiter scheduled me to speak with another manager.

The second manager I spoke with, informed me that he would've hired me on his team if the decision was up to him. Sadly, he said that IBM is a messed up company with a lot of internal issues.

Since the both phone interviews went well, the lead recruiter scheduled me for an onsite group challenge and 1 vs. 1 interview in New York. IBM covered airfare and hotel, which was nice.

The group challenges were a real pain to be involved in. Over 20+ other candidates were there, and we were forced to mingle with one another. Most of them were fresh out of college, inexperienced, from Ivy leagues, and extremely arrogant.

The IBM office in New York is very corporate. No art or colors on the wall, most of the desks were empty-looking, and no one seemed to smile there.

The 1 vs. 1 interviews were okay. The managers I spoke with were nice to me. One even seemed to like me enough to add me on Linkedin. She mentioned to me that IBM is a mess and made sure that I am prepared to work with a lot of growing pains.

After the day-long group challenges and 1 vs. 1 interviews, all the candidates were taken to the airport. The lead recruiter said she would follow up in a week with a response.

I didn't hear back for 2 weeks, so I followed up. The lead recruiter responded back and said she didn't have an answer yet, but should have have a response within 1-2 weeks.
    Two more weeks go by, and no response, so I followed up. No response.

Then One month after the onsite interview, I receive a generic rejection email.

Thanks, IBM. WORST INTERVIEW in history.

I made sure I informed everyone I knew to never apply to IBM.

By the way, I found out that IBM was involved in the Holocaust by building a Jewish registry, and will be building the Muslim registry for the Trump administration.

So glad I don't work for that terrible company now.

Interview Questions

• IBM is very traditional with a lot of stubborn, old employees. How do you work with challenging people?   Answer Question

Associate Offering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for the role in early September, and a few weeks later a recruiter reached out to me to schedule a first round interview.

First round was a fairly standard phone interview, mostly behavioral questions/why IBM etc. It was about an hour long.

Second round was a video interview and was a little more involved - my interviewer delved into more detail about my past experience, situational questions (have you ever dealt with a situation where...). Again, not too difficult and about an hour long.

Final round was an on-site in the NY office. Someone else wrote that the office was very plain and "no one smiled," but my recruiter warned me beforehand that the particular office where the interview took place did not house any of the offering management department and that it was not a good representation of what the job would actually be like - just a space issue for the final round. There were 20 applicants in my round, and we had a "happy hour" type thing the night before that was actually very nice. I met and made friends with many of the other candidates, many of whom I still keep in touch with and will be co-workers with. The next day, the final round interview was split into two sections - the first were two 1:1 interviews (in a very similar fashion to the prior two rounds) and then the group task. All the groups presented their results at the end of the day. We were then told that we would hear back the following week - I heard back that Wednesday (the final round was the previous Friday).

All in all, no curveballs or trick questions - one of the few places I interviewed where I felt that fit was really emphasized more than grilling candidates on technicalities. I really enjoyed the process - it was very well-done, professional, and personally fulfilling.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial Screening Process included 5 behavioral questions and 3 technical questions with programming language of your choice. You can choose from a list of programming languages.
    Haven't received any update yet.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with two different people. They asked a lot of pretty easy questions that weren't very hard to answer, just your standard questions. They really like enthusiasm and you will to want to work for the company.

Interview Questions

• If you have a problem how do you handle it   1 Answer