IBM Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

IBM Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated May 24, 2017

Applications Developer(Java) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Asked technical questions, but no coding. Group interview. 5 other people interviewed me. What is agile development? Have you used testing in your programs? Do you know what a framework is? Why do you want to work for IBM? I did not know answers to about 50% of questions. I also am taking a summer class, so this may have been the reason why I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

• What is agile development?   1 Answer

Global Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied via college career website and submitted application on IBM's website. I have applied to the same position in Fall 2016, but did not get any response. So I was shocked when I was called back for the Spring 2017 recruitment.

Interview Questions

• 2 straight forward behavior section: Why IBM? Tell me a little bite about yourself etc   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when ...   Answer Question

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

3 -30 minute interviews. Two personality based and one case.

Case study focused on how to implement a new HR solution for a global internet based university without having a travel budget or understanding of the business process of the university. How would you train people for the new HR system and what problems will you face? That kinda stuff

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to teach someone something and what worked and what didn't.   1 Answer
    • Explain a time you had to look for more data to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • You're struggling on a project and your supervisor notices and says something, what do you do?   Answer Question

Enterprise Sales IBM Weather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

One phone call, one in person meeting with Hiring Manager named Chip from IBM Weather from Wisconsin. 30 min call consisted of questions from HM trying to get an insight into the product pricing scheme employed by my previous employers. He also asked for an advice on how to price the new database that IBM plans to market to HFs. When I tried to focus the conversation back on the interview process he said he has another call and cut the conversation short. Similarly, the in -person meeting which included HM and another individual involved in the database marketing ( he did not offer his business card ) , was focused on discussing a potential "go to" market strategy and questions on how to price their product ( " we don't know ourselves, we just want to know your opinion") in order to maximize the value. No time was spent discussing my credentials , suitability for the position and what the actual position would involve. When I asked about the interview process, the other individual left the room and the HM gave a generic answer that HR will be in touch. It was essentially market research, free consultation session, not a job interview. I suspect there was no position open at all.

Interview Questions

• How should we price the product? Should we market it to one exclusive client for a steep price or multiple clients? Who would be interested in this type of offering?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a pretty standard interview with an introduction of what they do and what IBM does, then ask about whether I know about this position. Then there are resume based questions and relevant experience questions. No behaviorals, but there are 2 case problems. Simple though.

SEO Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Received a call from a recruiter that I was one of 10 candidates. The next day I was informed that I was now one of two candidates that was being considered. A call was setup and I called in 3 minutes before the call was to take place. They were still interviewing the other candidate and I was asked to hold for a moment, which I did. Once the call began, the main interviewer (there were two of them) rambled on for at least 5 minutes about the position. He then turned the questioning over to the other interviewer and she proceeded to ask me several questions about Marketing Strategy. In a nutshell, at the end of the call they told me that they did not feel good about the call because all I discussed was Strategy and I did not elaborate on Execution, even though they never asked me any questions about execution. They also informed me that they needed to cut the call short without ever asking if I had any questions. This was a huge waste of my time and one of the most unprofessional interviews I have ever had. I also feel like they already had a candidate in mind and they were just going through the motions. I lost alot of respect today for what I thought was a great company. Very disappointing and shocking that IBM would conduct themselves in this manner.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me your SEO process.   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Eight questions via HireVue: five behavioral video responses and three coding. The coding questions relied heavily on string manipulation (parsing, modifying using STL algorithms), and touched on data structures. One had to be comfortable with unordered maps and how to best utilize them (i.e., determine which should be the key and which should be the value for optimal search performance).

Interview Questions

• Define polymorthism and give an example   Answer Question
    • Given a passage, filter out any passage that is present in the other passages. The passages must also be formatted based on a series of rules (blocks of whitespace should be treated as one whitespace, symbols should be ignored, etc)   1 Answer
    • Fizzbuzz.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

It was decent just a quick little interview. Then boom "I'll call you within a few days". Never reached out. Overall I don't think they were interested in me anyway

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

They never got back to me or answered my emails. i get that you don't get back to all resumes, but if someone has interviewed, an email should be answered.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Talked about past project and my background on resume for almost 10 minutes. The recruiter cared about why IBM and went specific into my answer. Answered a technical question. Gave me about five minutes to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• function nStrStr(str1, str2)
      How many str1 appeared in str2