IBM Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

IBM Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated May 25, 2017

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen on research followed by onsite interview. One hour presentation and questions. This was followed by individual sessions with 12-15 researchers of each approximately 30 minutes. Each session depends on the researcher who is interviewing you. Some can be hard and some can be relaxing but it is a great place to be in. The presentation was extremely well attended even by senior managers.

Interview Questions

• Lots of research specific questions where they dig into details of your work. Due to the diverse nature of researchers present in your panel some of them would be very comfortable in your area and they can ask good questions which need well thought answers.   Answer Question

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

3 part interview process: 30 minute behavioral, 30 minute traditional, 30 minute case
    My interview happened online through HireVue and had 15 minute breaks in between each section. There were 3 different interviewer. I had 2 days notice been between being offered the interview and the interview date.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge you have ever faced, and how did you solve it with an analytical solution? Why consulting? Tell me more about your experience with ---------.   Answer Question

Entry-Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

webcam recording with 8 questions
    4 technical and 4 background with interests
    Usually 3-hour long and has to be done in one sitting.
    Have to finish it within 3 business days, once invited.
    Coding challenge using any one of following languages:
    C++
    Java
    C
    Pyhton
    Scala

Interview Questions

• What is polymorphism? 3 string manipulation coding challenges given an hour each. Interests in IBM, and technologies.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview was thorough and brief to fully understand the working environment. Then, talked about the responsibilities and the individuals that I would be working in my team. The interviewer conducted a tour around the office meeting team members. Unfortunately, I did not receive an offer from IBM, but the experience what a learning to add to my skill set.

Interview Questions

• How have you taken leadership in the past?
      What programs have you used in the past?
      1 Answer

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Hiring process was pretty simple. It happened as part of campus placement in college. There was an aptitude test followed by a round of technical interview, in which not many technical questions were asked

Interview Questions

• Asked me about design of reinforced concrete beams which was unexpected, as I was interviewing for a software position   Answer Question

Entry Level Cognitive Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I logged into the online interview system, and started the process after the intro video. There are 7 questions asked and 5 of them were recorded as responses and 3 of them are coding questions using online coding system. There are breaks between questions and 5-10 min for recording response questions and 30-60 mins for coding questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to extract words from the parse tree. e.g. ((NJ (NN James) XX is) (AJ tall)) -> James is tall.
      Another question is to reverse a string an capitalize all the starting positions of words and lower case all the ending positions of words. e.g. Hello World -> Dlrow Olleh
      1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

IBM uses HireVue for their coding challenges. I solved the first challenge in under 10 minutes, but the testing suite for the second and third challenge errored out immediately. I subsequently discovered the testing suite contained numerous issues (i.e. several typos, missing brackets, etc.). So, I spent much of the time attempting to debug the testing suite - I haven’t used Node previously nor did I expect to be required to know it for a frontend role. Despite these issues, I managed to implement a binary search for one of the challenges and I solved the other challenge fairly quickly.

Unfortunately, I never heard anything back from IBM. The recruiter assigned to me didn’t even respond to my emails. If this is an indicator of how IBM operates, I might have dodged a bullet. But, I’m upset IBM didn’t have the decency to notify me of a decision since I completed a 3-hour coding challenge for the company.

Interview Questions

• Criteria to determine creating a standalone mobile app or a responsive web app.   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

I got two phone interviews from different researchers in one group after application. They asked me to describe my research experiences, and asked questions based on my description. I applied early, in October. They haven't open their application process yet. So they haven't decided to give me the offer or not yet. But I have to check one result, so I checked the one showing I get the offer and accept it (hope so).

Interview Questions

• Describe your research projects. They ask questions through my description.   Answer Question

Entry Level Cognitive Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Received an invite to participate in Hirevue coding challenge. 7 questions 3 of them being coding challenges. String manipulation and binary parse trees. One machine learning question. Invited to the guru interview 2 weeks later. Jumped right into the technical questions, no behavioral questions. Was asked about locking, scheduling, bit manipulation, binary parse trees, virtual functions, and a couple of short and easy coding problems.

Interview Questions

• What is deadlocking?
      What thread scheduling does Linux use?
      How to swap two int values without using any temporary storage?
      Other short and sweet questions and problems
      Answer Question

Entry Level Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The application process was fairly simple and straight-forward.
    The first round was video recorded interview. It had questions like tell me about yourself and why DevOps and previous experiences in DevOps, which were to be recorded. The next round was scheduled in next month and a half.
    The second round was one on one technical interview. The interviewer was very kind and cooperative. He made the atmosphere very comfortable and allowed me to give him solutions to the coding problems.
    After this, I was invited for Finish line Event in Atlanta, GA. It was a two-day event and very relaxed and informative.
    I received the offer in next 2 hours of the event.

Interview Questions

• Basic coding problems. Lists, Arrays and UNIX Commands.   Answer Question