IBM Interview Questions in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 18, 2017

3.2

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Bell, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Blue Bell, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

Took the IPAT, which tests you on number sequences and algebra word problems. The number sequences are irrelevant, and the algebra word problems are timed too short. Some people may disagree and say to study first, but I had other interviews to worry about and did not have the time to study for the IPAT just for one interview. Long story short, I did bad on it (and I was at fault for not wanting to waste time studying for it). Still, I was contacted the following day, and asked to do a phone screen. The phone screen was scheduled for the following day, and consisted of a few fundamental technical questions and some questions to get to know your background. It was a short 20 minute call. Later that day I was invited on-site. Two days later, the onsite happened and involved meeting three people: a developer, the developer I spoke to on the phone, and the manager of the team. Both developers were nice, the manager was not. The first developer I met with had me do some whiteboarding. The first questions was too tough for me to handle, so we did a tree traversal problem to add every node at a certain level to an array. I got about 85% of the question as I was choking after the failure of the first problem. The next person I met was the developer I spoke to on the phone. He asked me only fundamental problems and some basic SQL. I nailed that section. The worst part was meeting the manager. For some reason, I could tell he did not like me the moment he laid eyes on me. He started off by asking me what I knew about C++ and Java. I told him I really only knew Java, and my only experience with C++ was in an intro programming class in college. So he saw the potential in grinding me to a pulp, so he went down that route. After that he began asking me questions on Java, I was able to respond with correct answer, but with every correct answer, he would ask a question one level deeper. It got to the point where he was asking me how I would design a critical component of Java myself, something that I could not even find the answer to on Google. I kept asking him to elaborate on what he meant as I fed him answers he did not like. He kept saying "No. No. I am talking high-level here." He did throw in some fair questions that I did not know the answers to as well. Look, I was at fault for not studying up on some concepts, but when a job is listed as "entry-level" and is looking for a minimum for 1 years of experience, do not expect someone to be able to answer some mid-level questions and act like they are a waste of your time for applying to a job that matched the required skillset that was listed.

Interview Questions

• How would you return the average of the sums for every employee per department in SQL?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

As many people have mentioned here, the interview was pretty quick, smooth, and professionally done. I interviewed On-Campus and it was three 30 minute interviews back to back to back. The first two were behavioral and the last was the case.

In the first behavioral:

1) Walk me through your resume
    2) Tell me about a time you had to had to solve a problem?
    3) How would you define problem-solving in three characteristics?
    4) Why IBM?

Second interview was also behavioral:
    1) Walk me through your resume
    2) Why IBM?
    3) Tell me about a time a team member was slacking off, what did you do?
    4) Tell me about a time you had to adapt to a different culture?

Third was the case:
    Profits & Loss scenario. There are two pizza companies and one company has declining profits over the past year, why is this happening and what should they do?

Overall, it was a great experience. All the interviewers were nice and conversational. The head recruiter was extremely nice and friendly and helpful throughout the process with any questions I had. And finally, the coolest part was that IBM had some recent graduates from the program sitting in the waiting area of the interview room chatting to the candidates in between interviews. It was a great experience.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berwyn, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Berwyn, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Great company, great experience

Phone Screen - background review
    Group interview with different managers and other candidates - different activities, ie. business case, presentation, survival game,
    One to one interview with manager and director

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Wayne, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Technical Phone Interview with manager and onsite interview with manager and 2 software developers. most of the questions were about SQl, and Java object oriented programing. White board programing questions, and one brain storm question.

Senior SAP Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

2 rounds of technical interview, then flew you to Phili for face to face interview. IBM uses senior or managing consultant to do some technical interviews, if you passed it, then you get to do face to face interview, which is fairly easy, at least for me.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

They fly you in to the location of the interview (Philadelphia) and you have 3- 30 minute interviews. Two are behavioral and one is a case study. The case study is fairly easy. They give you information and want to see if you will ask questions to get the rest of the information. The problem is simple, but they don't give you enough info to solve it and the recruiter will only give you what you ask for.

The behavioral questions were fairly easy. Just think of all your experiences and apply them to the questions. Remember not to down anyone in your story and explain what the goal was and what the result was. They asked a lot of questions about working on teams.

Interview Questions

• If you were working on a project and one of your team members wasn't carrying their weight, how would you respond to this issue?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 weeks after sending resume, got a response for video-code exam. A link was sent by email. I am allowed to choose to start in 3 days.
    If click the link,the interview have to finished in 2-3 hours.
    Questions: introduce yourself;
    some behavior questions;
    2 code writing
    1 explanation on why you were doing the code in the way

Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBM (Mount Laurel, NJ) in November 2014.

Interview

very few questions, the interviewer did the majority of the talking describing the job and asked me to review my resume and describe my internal experience, and got offered the next day

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would deal with an aggressive customer   Answer Question

LA Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed at a career fair in Philadelphia. After that I was choosen for a new internship position abroad and I was contacted by the employer 2 months later to talk about my career expectations and if I was willing to go abroad for my internship.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Phila, PA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied through employee referral, and got an email saying that I was invited to an in-person interview in PA. After submitting a few more required documents, I was in touch with the recruiter who helped me prepare for the trip and guided me through the process.

3 different rounds of one-on-one, in-person interviews: 2 of them were personality-based interviews, and 1 of them was a case interview. The personality-based interviews were mostly about the company getting to know me as a person and a potential employee as well as me getting to know more about what the company has to offer. The case interview was all about seeing the way I think, and I had to work through a couple of case study questions.