IBM Postdoctoral Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Postdoctoral Researcher Interview Questions

Updated Nov 30, 2016

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen on research followed by onsite interview. One hour presentation and questions. This was followed by individual sessions with 12-15 researchers of each approximately 30 minutes. Each session depends on the researcher who is interviewing you. Some can be hard and some can be relaxing but it is a great place to be in. The presentation was extremely well attended even by senior managers.

Interview Questions

• Lots of research specific questions where they dig into details of your work. Due to the diverse nature of researchers present in your panel some of them would be very comfortable in your area and they can ask good questions which need well thought answers.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty standard phone interview process as others on Glassdoor has described already (thank you guys!). The interviewer started off with a concise description of the position that they are hiring for and then started asking questions. The questions are mainly about the resume/CV and the experiences that I had that associates with the position. There are a lot of in-depth questions. The reasons, I guess, are either because my background fits well with the position or my answers led to more questions (not sure it is good or bad yet since I am waiting on feedback from them).

Interview Questions

• Can you provide a walk-through of your CV and highlight your experiences that relates to the position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

There were a few phone interviews with one hour each. Then, there was an onsite interview for two days. There was a formal presentation and one-one to meetings and interviews with approximately 20 interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about research and project related questions and a few programming questions.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

Interview

I met with someone at a university event and followed up with him through email. He set up a phone interview with two people of the group. They both were very nice and the interview was on the line of trying to understand what are my strengths and weaknesses, especially since I have a non typical background for the group. They asked for some example of code I had written and promised they would follow up with me, no matter what. Not hearing back after 10 days or so, I shot an email, after which I was called by the same person, inviting me to visit the research center for a full day. There I talked with lots of people from the group in a very relaxed and open environment, the whole interview process till this point had been really great. The interview went fairly well and definitely some people were very interested in me. At the end I was told again that they would let me know as soon as possible if they were going to make me an offer or not, as communication about this is IBM policy.

After 2 weeks I did not hear anything and try to contact them with no result. I waited another 3 weeks (5 weeks total after the interview) and tried again. In half an hour I received a one line email just saying they were not going to make me an offer. At the request of some feedback, I was told that IBM does not discuss its hiring policy.

Nice interview experience, but very disappointing last phase. I do not necessarily expect to get an offer, but I would think that I should be told if that would happen or not as soon as the decision is taken, especially when in the final stage.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Mainly talking about myself and my research (even if it was not related to the group's) and basic questions about probability and algorithms.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview

I met a research staff member at a conference and revealed my interests on the company. Then I had a phone interview with the staff to confirm my qualification. Then I was invited as a seminar speaker. I talked to 4 postdocs/junior staffs in the morning, gave a talk at noon, and talked to 4 senior staffs/managers in the afternoon. It went well. Most of them are interested in my current research. A potential manager asked me a hypothetical question about how to deal with a specific technical problem. I had a positive experience at IBM. The job opening came up after 3 months. They are interested in my so they contacted my reference about my qualifications on that position. My reference said the position might not fit my background therefore I did not get the offer.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Submitted job application through website. Contacted by manager and asked to give onsite talk and do interviews.

Negotiation

Take it or leave it.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

The interview question are more about what you have done in your previous work rather than get you to the white board and let you solve a problem in 5 minutes. So if your background match their requirement in general the interview process is not hard

Interview Questions

• one guy asked me very textbook style question, such as what is the relation between material bandgap and refractive index. I have completely no idea   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Yorktown Heights, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

I had a one-day interview that starts with a one-hour presentation followed by 10 one-on-one 30 minutes meeting with IBMers. They are very friendly and I knew them personally before. No hard technical questions were asked. They mostly want to let me know that IBM Research is a great company to work in, which I agree.

Interview Questions

• Almost none. I just have to prepare extra for the presentation, which will be attended by the whole group of around 50 researchers. This can be very intimidating for some.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation without counter-offer, which I didn't have.

Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Yorktown Heights, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

Got the initial interview through personal contact. From then on after sometime there was a phone interview and then a personal interview for a day.

Interview Questions

• This was something related to the problems in the project at that time.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Position title.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

They flew me down for a day of interview.