IBM Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 5, 2017

41 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Big Data Engineer/Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The Recruiter is very proactive. She reached out to me via LinkedIn. Set up Phone interview(s) with the manager under whom the opening was available. Very happy with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Oral theory questions on computer science fundamentals, programming fundamentals, or data bases. Seem to be designed for a fresh grads out of college. If you are a fresh grad, you are fresh with these concepts and will nail it. If you are experienced, then be sure to brush up basic fundamentals. Nothing about your work-experience   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Applied Online- Basic application on their website. Pretty simple. Received reply within about two weeks.
    2. Coding Challenge- 3 coding challenge with 5 behavioral questions and 3 coding. Received reply that I passed within a few days.
    3. Guru Interview - 1 on 1 with a Software Developer at IBM
    4. (still waiting to do my guru interview)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

A couple phone screens with plenty of discussion on experience, past projects, etc. leading up to a single on-site that entailed meeting with multiple engineering teams, further discussion of experience and past projects followed by whiteboarding.

Interview Questions

• Given an aray with ['a1', 'a2', .....'aN', 'b1', 'b2', ....'bN', 'c1', 'c2', .....'cN'], stagger the subarrays so it becomes ['a1', 'b1', 'c1', 'a2', 'b2', 'c2', ...'aN', 'bN', 'cN']. The optimal solution requires linear-time sorting and a constant space complexity.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Two step process
    1. Quick recruiter phone screen to assess culture fit and weed out poor communicators, misfits
    2. On site where you have a behavioral round and technical round, approx 2 hours

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Procedure goes:-
    1. Online Application and template (fill application online)
    2. Online Test (basic test for reasoning and logics)
    3. Selection Day
    Group Activities (2)
    Confirmatory IPAT test (plus numerical verbal reasoning test for certain roles)
    Pairs Role-Play Activity
    Written Exercise
    Interview
    Final Interview

Client Relationship Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was recruited through university recruitment for the Summit Program. I had an on campus interview, two phone interviews, and was invited to a hiring event in San Francisco. It was two short days of networking and interviews and was pretty fun! You get to meet the IBM managers as well as others going through the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions are what's usually expected though you do need to do some research about the company and its business ventures.   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Round 1: 3 hours coding challenge/ Virtual interview
    Round 2: Guru Interview (Phone interview) - Coding and Design
    Round 3: Guide Interview (Phone interview) - Behavioral
    Round 4: 2 days Onsite interview. Day 1 - Attended a conference, 2 hrs case study. Day 2 - Case study Presentation and HR/Behavioral interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Round 1: 3 hours coding challenge/ Virtual interview, questions on String manipulation, trees. 3 coding questions 1 hr each, 2-4 video response questions..
    Round 2: Guru Interview - Hirevue (Skype) - discussion on previous round's questions, 3 coding questions from Leetcode, 1 puzzle question
    Round 3: Guide Interview (Phone interview) - Behavioral questions, general discussion about next round
    Round 4: 2 day Onsite event (Finish Line event in San Francisco)
    Day 1 - Attended a Watson developer conference, prepared 2 hrs for a case study in a team of 5
    Day 2 - Case study Presentations (10-15 mins), HR/Behavioral interview (10 mins). Offer confirmation within 4 hrs via text.
    Got the Offer letter next day.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms, time complexity, different approaches to solve a question, Trees, String manipulation   1 Answer

Entry Level Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

A video interview/coding session. There is no one on the other side asking questions, they just record you and your code and review it later. I did this, and did OK. I know I messed up on one of the bonus coding sections, so I wasn't sure I would get a call back for a second interview.

I heard nothing from IBM for about 2 months, and then I get an email on Tuesday letting me know I have been selected to advance to the second Guru interview. This is supposed to be a live video interview which includes some whiteboard coding. Great!

However, the IBM recruiter says in her email that I have to do this on Wednesday or Thursday (24-48 hour notice). Well, that's a bit short notice to give my current job, but OK. I reply back letting her know that any time on Thursday works for me... And then I never hear anything back from the recruiter. No acknowledgement of my email, nothing. After waiting a bit I send a second email just in case the first did not go through. Still no reply.

It is now Friday, and I still have to hear anything back from IBM. There was no phone number or anything for me to try to call in the email. It seems very unprofessional to ask someone to schedule a second interview and then give them no reply.

Interview Questions

• Pretty simple coding questions. I think I was able to choose my language, and chose JavaScript. There are also some questions about why you coded the answers the way you did.   Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Got an abrupt call from the recruiter while I was at the gym asking if I could set up an interview the next day. I had to push it out 2 days or so, and then we had the phone screen where they asked basic questions such as why IBM. Then I passed and they had me perform an online assessment. I submitted the assessment late and never heard back from them again. My mistake, I wasn't interested enough in the role to prioritize in.