IBM Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

2.9

63 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBM (Research Triangle Park, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Prescreen interview with one of two hiring managers. Some probing questions based on both my resume as well as their project needs.

That led to 3 technical screens - one for each of 3 positions between the two managers.

The screens were very technical and with product leads. The questions were challenging and difficult but straight on he direct needs of their project. On the other hand they didn't appear onerous as the positions were good matches and all I had to do was make a strong effort on the fly and with a little nudging here and there. The key point is if you put it on your resume - they'll ask about it - and if it's a direct need they will go deep on it.

I did prefer this style - direct and deep technical about what you did and how you'd apply it to their direct needs - far better than random pet-algorithm I haven't needed in 30 years - or puzzle burning ropes on an island questions. Those may be fine for NCGs with naturally little experience but don't bring out what I have done and can by extension solve and do for you.

2nd round technical interview with members of the team was set - but one was ready to hire and as my preferred position all 3 offered positions.

Formal offer process is very very slow with very singular very unresponsive offshore recruiting automatons and the managers can do little to intervene.

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe your major projects in recent history and what you yourself were challenged with and accomplished

2) For these key areas/items describe in detail challenges and accomplishments with those skill.

3) Here are (sequentially) several technical scenarios we deal with and face that related. Some of this we know the answer two and some of which we don't. Discuss in detail how you'd architect, implement, or solve this with your experience in those areas.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Two rounds technical java questions and 1 HR round. The questions were easy if prepared well. HR round was mainly to discuss package. Got the offer letter in a months time.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I applied for the position of "Senior Software Engineer" on IBM's career website. Got a phone interview call after month. After the phone interview, received an onsite interview email after one month further. Interview was very easy, nothing difficult, basic behavioural questions. However when I received the offer, I saw that the job title got changed and they removed the word "Senior" from the job title. After analyzing the offer thoroughly with the benefits details, I realized that it is not competitive with respect to the market. Hence I decided to decline it.

Interview Questions

job title got changed in the offer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

It was really short in my opinion. There were two parts. One was over the phone and the other was flying you into a location with other interviewees. I do have to say it seemed organized but crunched for time. Felt more like something from the 1980s.

Interview Questions

• There were situational questions such as, "Tell me about a time when you realized you weren't going to complete a critical path part of the project on time? What did you do?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Foster City, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Database questions (given a use case, design tables, write queries to get certain data out), Java OOP questions, synchronization in Java, HashMap + hashcode questions, Hibernate questions, Flex questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some Hibernate questions that I wasn't prepared for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated a little on salary and also got sign-on bonus

Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Marlborough, MA) in June 2012.

Interview

Phone interview first with technical questions from hiring manager. Followed by three short onsite interviews that were 1:1 technical interviews. Also asked to give a whiteboard technical presentation to a 10 person engineering team on a project i recently developed.

Interview Questions

• Would you write a client/server app using TCP or UDP if performance was your primary consideration?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

3 - 4 rounds of interviews
    Usual questions on programming especially C
    Linked Lists, bitmaps binary search trees
    Networking basics, TCP/IP, routing switching
    Some genric problem solvign type questions

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in June 2011.

Interview

Had 3 interviews for this position. Hiring 1st level manager, 2nd line manager, and one peer.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Irvine, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

Contract to hire for specific project.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Dayton, OH) in August 2009.

Interview

Interview process was very professional and well organized. I was placed in a nice hotel and the interviewer comes to my room for interviewing. There were three rounds of interview and it was very well organized.

Interview Questions

• About my previous experience and my skill set assessment   Answer Question