IBM Senior Strategy Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 27, 2018

3.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBM (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with consultant. Got a good overview of what the group does. Questions were wide ranging , covering a lot of different topics. Questions were focused on applying economic ideas and concepts to strategy problems

Interview Questions

• How I would approach solving one of the problems they are currently working on   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Armonk, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Armonk, NY).

Interview

Brief screening interview (in person) followed by full-day on-site interview. Interviewed with four consultants who asked a mixture of business, statistics, and brain-teaser type questions. The day culminated with an interview with the section head who did a brief and fairly easy case-style interview.

Senior Strategy Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Had three phone calls screening interview, half an hour each. Slotted on-site interview. Questions include solving business cases (choosing between two business plans), statistics (Bayesian) and data science (clustering and classification).

Senior Strategy Consultant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

First Round, on campus Interview. This round interview process consisted of two business cases, standard for an MBA applying to a consulting position. Both cases were of medium to hard difficulty. The second round was on the Chicago office, two additional fit interviews and one additional case. If you prepared by practicing cases, the process should be less painful.

Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Armonk, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Typical management consulting interview process. Started with a case question and evolved to personal experiences and background.There were four back to back interviews, an hour long each. Interviews progressed in terms of difficulty one after another.

Senior Strategy Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in February 2015.

Interview

I could attend two rounds of the interview. Both of them were phone interviews. The first interview was taken by a senior in the practice and the second by the manager. The focus was more on case questions than the behavioral questions. It is good to practice some of the case questions available online to crack the consultant positions. They were 1:1 interviews. Just make sure to be clear while explaining solution you arrive at. Don't hesitate to ask questions during the case interview. If you feel it takes sometime for you to come up with the solution, ask the interviewer for some more time.

Interview Questions

• During the initial phone screen, the interviewer asked me to walk him through my resume. This was followed by a case interview. I was not expecting a case interview in the first conversation itself. Was not prepared, but managed to do it well. The second round was with the manager of the team. This interview had few behavioral questions followed by a case question. It was not a difficult case, I did ok. But some how couldn't get the job. To sum up, be prepared with case questions!!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Armonk, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Slow moving. Took them more than 10 weeks to go from round one to offer. Two phone interviews then final round onsite. Final round had 4 interviews. One with junior member, and others with senior

Interview Questions

• Business case involving sales team mixture -- what's the correct mixture of technical and non technical staff in sales team   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Arlington, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an employee, then maybe a month later contacted for an interview. The interview itself was fairly easy; two 30-min behavioral sections (standard behavioral questions), then one 30-min case interview. The interviews were not conducted by recruiters, so the conversation was fairly casual, and the follow-ups were not meant to be "gotcha" moments. The case study question was, however, strange to me. The position was within the public sector consulting side, and I have an MPA so a good amount of exposure to public sector case studies, but the question was obviously geared towards MBA type applicants.

Interview Questions

• Name a revenue stream of the government you think could be increased, and how.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Armonk, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

There are total of 5 interviews- 2 first round on campus or phone and 3 onsite interviews. All of them comprises of a case interview and behavioral

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate. The salary was standard

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Herndon, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

Resume submitted online. Then 2 in person back to back 1:1 interview with 2 consultants. Interview format: 45 min. each - 30 min. case interview and 10 min. behavioral questions (tell me about yourself and other typical questions). I was told to expect the decision about the advancement at the final round in approx 3 days. I never received a rejection email which I found disturbing. Although I understand that everybody is busy, even a standard email would have been appreciated, especially with 20/30 people participating to the interview day.
    All the rest was fine. Everybody was friendly and everything was organized.