IBM Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

There are 3 interviews, the first one ís the most dificult. You are mostly asked about your past job and your experience. Make sure to answer honestly. After the interview you have to wait about 3 weeks for the result. be a little patient.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a college alumni who was employed at the company. The initial process was a phone screen and technical questions to see which role I would fit based on my experience. After the initial phone screen, the recruiter set up a call with the team manager and discussed the project I would potentially be working on and how my skill set would align.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vilnius (Lithuania)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Vilnius (Lithuania)).

Interview

Interview in closed room with HR Manager and one developer. HR Manager asked questions about why would you like to get a position in IBM, university I studied at. Developer asked various HTML, CSS, Java related questions.

Overall, even I did not get the position I gained a lot from the interview itself.

Interview Questions

• Would you send information over the internet with json or xml method   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2015.

Interview

Such a good experience in the interview IBM came to my campus for recruiting there we're 3 rounds first Is aptitude which WS easy next is personality assessment round next WS hr and technical both in a round I m proud to be a part of IBM

Interview Questions

• Abt cloud computing linked list   1 Answer

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Brisbane (Australia)) in August 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application on Sunday, 2 days later I had an aptitude test (very abstract number sequences and algebra). The aptitude test wasn't that bad, in fact it was kind of fun, the part that was absolutely TERRIFYING was the HR interview! The Interview was a week after the aptitude test. They try and lull you into a false sense of security by saying they will discuss your skills and experience and why you want to work for them (pretty standard and I'd be more than happy to oblige) but don't let them fool you! In the horrifying reality they will ask a list of complicated behavioral questions used to dismantle any articulate thought processes you thought you had and leave you a sobbing mess shoving chocolate cake into your face. I thought I was prepared with multiple scenarios for these kind of questions...I was NOT prepared! They want you to REALLY think. Overall it was horrifying but I carried a lot away from this experience - You can never be prepared enough...NEVER! But in all honestly I'll be trying again next year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Miami, FL).

Interview

Long tedious and boring The process seemed like it was going to be easy because the Xbase equestrians on the online application but the phone if you was quite difficult I didn't know what to say.

Interview Questions

• Okay benefit the company what skills do you have that will bring value to the entity   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

After the phone screening and coding challenge there is the on site interview. It takes 3-4 hours during which you meet the entire project team. Some may ask technical questions, but generally they ask behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Social/Behavioral questions   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

first round of interview is the technical test. i get one hour to answer alot of technical question. then , it is the oral interview. A brief self introduction and tell the interviewer why you want to join the company. after that, wait for second interview.

Interview Questions

• delete a node for linkedlist. then reverse the string.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online after finishing my undergrad. They did not reply me for more than a month, so I asked my friend to refer me and then things moved quickly. I was contacted directly by hiring manager. I gave IBM's IQ test and then decided the date to do a phone interview with hiring manager. In phone interview, I was asked bit manipulation question, reverse a single linked list and anagram questions. It was about 45 mins interview with all tech question. I knew all the questions and had them practiced before hand so I did pretty well. During the phone interview, I was told that I'm selected for on-site interview. I choose to give on-site interview monday of next week. I had about 3 days to prepare, I did not choose to wait longer because I did not have job that time. It was 5.5 hours of on-site interview which included 4 interviews and 1 lunch interview. lunch interview was not counted in selection process. There were 3 tech interviews and 1 manager interview. Each 1 hour long, in manager interview I was asked behavior questions and other standard easy HR questions. Job was related to compiler so they asked me lot of low level questions including reduce the cache contention in matrix multiplication and etc. Some of the coding question were:

1. Find 2^n without using any airthemetic operator. 1 >> n
    2. Find double of a number without using airthmetic and lots lots of bit manipulation questions.
    2. Reduce cache contention in given code. Code was matrix multiplication algorithm.
    3. Explain in pseudo code, how overriding a functions in OOO languages work. And is overriding function resolved at compile time? And how about function overloading?
    4. Write a function that takes two unsigned int and returns true if multiplication of these two integers will be overflow (means number exceed limit of sizeof(unsigned int) bytes) otherwise returns false.
    5. Design stack using single linked list.
    6. Given an array of positive and negative ints , find an continuous subarray with maximum sum. On first try I was able to write an algorithm with o(1) space and o(n) time complexity so he was happy.
    7. Write a basic hashing algorithm (then he asked my why I did this way and how can I improve). And some theory about has functions.

If you applying in compiler department be sure to prepare bit manip questions and know some basic things of compilers like parsing, linking, how compiled languages different from interpreted ones, how 32 bit compiled program diff from 64 bit and other basic stuff.

Interview Questions

• Reduce cache contention on given code. Code was multiple multiplication algorithm. I did not have slightest clue of how to do that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was good salary already as new graduate.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Winchester, England (UK)).

Interview

After sending in an application for the graduate program, received an email to complete the IPAT two weeks later. On passing the IPAT, was called to an assessment centre ( a couple of months later).
    Assessment centre:
    A written test to assess your ability to think analytically and logically. No actual specific coding knowledge required although if you have done programming it will definitely help you to think in the right way for the test.
    Two group exercises, one interview, one presentation, One communications exercise - tests IBM competencies

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate your passion for technology outside of work   Answer Question