IBM Software Developer Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

IBM Software Developer Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Feb 8, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

1. Application form (IBM standard)
2. IPAT test: number series & algebra
3. CV review in detail
4. On site assessment centre (interviewed at IBM Hursley): 2 group exercises, 1 presentation & interview

Interview Questions

• Presentation: why would you make a great IBMer
    Group ex 1: rate 5 IBM innovations by importance
    Group ex 2: logic
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Preston, North West England, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through recruiting website. Within a week I did telephone screening. A week after I was told that I would be asked to do online aptitude test. Week later I received link for online aptitude test with username and password. I was busy so after 4 days of receiving it I took a test. It was based on mathematical problems and series. For every question you get 2mins and 15 secs. Some questions I answered in less than that time. For some questions it wasn't enough. I took the test on Thursday . I received an email on Monday that I passed the aptitude test and I would be attending assessment centre. I received invite for assessment center but with no details except please and date. Week before the actual date of assessment received an email that assessment center would comprise of two group exercises, business competency interview and technical interview. All the candidates who attended the assessment centre had applied for different roles so they were not competitors. We were divided into two groups. While one group did interview other did group exercise. Our group had an interview first. My interview process was very relaxed. Wasn't asked technical questions even in technical interview. Basically they want to know about you. It is really hard to know what they have made out of the interview process. I was taking part in group exercise for the first time but I really enjoyed it. In the first exercise group was given to make decisions for organising the event of IBM apprenticeship seminar. Decisions like venue, marketing the event, choosing the reps for the event and budgeting the event based on given information. For this exercise there isn't any right or wrong answer. In second exercise everyone in the group was given partial information for the logical problem. Every member has different set of information. So you have to constantly communicate in order to solve this logical problem. There is only one solution for it. You work as a group to reach to the solution.

We were told we will be informed within a week about the outcome of the process. After a week received an email that it would be one more week before we can know the result. So expecting an answer in next 4 days.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. How do you deal with stress? What technologies do you use in your everyday life and what do you like about them? Where do you want to see yourself in 5 years time?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Winchester, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

The process began with a multiple-choice test and then consists of a series of group and individual interviews and exercises. The interviewers are friendly and try to create a low-stress atmosphere. I actually enjoyed the interviews even though they took a whole day.

Interview Questions

• If your team found a bug in a software that is just about to be released, would you let the software be released or halt the release?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The entry position allows only for a fixed starting salary of £3,000.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Online test - probably hardest part of the entire process.
    If successful on test, they review your application.
    If successful you get an invite to an Assessment Centre in which you have to give a presentation, do a problem solving test, 3 group exercises and 2 individual interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you learnt something new which you used to teach others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied mid december 2014, completed an aptitude test at the start of january, and was invited to the assessment centre at Hursely at the end of january. The day consisted of a logic/reasoning exam, a few group exercises, a group interview, two one-on-one interviews, and a presentation that I had to prepare beforehand. Plenty of time to mingle with other applicants in between sessions.

The first group exercise was one of those '5 houses, 5 people, 5 pets, 5 house colours, 5 hobbies' puzzles with sentences giving basic information, leaving us to complete the rest.

In the second, we were each given a 'zany' product, like chocolate teapots or umbrellas for dogs, with descriptions and pictures, and we had to discuss our thoughts to each other, pick a product, and pitch it to the invigilators.

The group interview was one interviewer to three interviewees. The interviewer would start off with a scenario, and ask the first of us to give our thoughts, possible risks or solutions, etc. Then the interviewer would move on to the next person, ask if they had anything else to add, and then they would add a bit more to the scenario and ask again, before moving to the last person. This was repeated three times with different scenarios, so each person had a chance to start.

The first interview was about some of my technical knowledge, and the second was a very casual 'getting to know you' interview.

The presentation was on 'why I want to work for IBM', where I was sat next to the interviewer, with a laptop on the table. I flicked through the slides and went through my points.

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on Object Oriented Programming?   Answer Question
    • What's your life story? (Prompted I believe by my talking about growing up with computers in my cover letter)   Answer Question
    • Hobbies? Interests? Pets?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Online test followed up by Assessment. I was very impressed overall, kind of enjoyed the whole processed. Currently I am on a matching process and have no idea what to expect.

Interview Questions

• they were all usual HR questions and about IBM products and services.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Winchester, England (UK)).

Interview

After sending in an application for the graduate program, received an email to complete the IPAT two weeks later. On passing the IPAT, was called to an assessment centre ( a couple of months later).
    Assessment centre:
    A written test to assess your ability to think analytically and logically. No actual specific coding knowledge required although if you have done programming it will definitely help you to think in the right way for the test.
    Two group exercises, one interview, one presentation, One communications exercise - tests IBM competencies

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate your passion for technology outside of work   Answer Question