IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

3 hour online interview, They will send an email with an interview link to hirevue. You will have 15 days to finish it but only one chance. There is 13 questions and most of them are technical related instead of general behavioral question(They said general questions in the process explanation email. This general mean general statistics and data analysis questions.)

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Talked about past project and my background on resume for almost 10 minutes. The recruiter cared about why IBM and went specific into my answer. Answered a technical question. Gave me about five minutes to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• function nStrStr(str1, str2)
      How many str1 appeared in str2
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

A recruiter came to my university to interview me. He seemed mostly interested in my overall skills, including soft skills. I shared my portfolio of work, and he asked me questions about what I wanted to do in the future. I was surprised IBM was interested in me because I'm not a computer science major, but it didn't seem to matter.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest strength/weakness?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I received a email to a Hirevue interview. The interview takes about 3 to 4 hours. You get 3 behavior questions and 3 programming exercises of 1 hour each. The programming exercises are fairly simple, some FizzBuzz problem and searching. It has been 6 weeks and I have not heard back from them yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

screen interview. It took almost two hours. some behavior question and data structure. There are three coding question and one question you need to explain your thought. the questions are basic but the coding are a little difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Met the campus reps followed by the IBM hirevue process which takes 3 hours. They emailed me back after 4 weeks saying I am moving on to the next stage but then got full.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

5 Questions with response via video, 3 programming exercises. You are given 1 hour to complete each exercise and you are given multiple languages to choose from. Study Fizzbuzz problem, string parsing and comparisons, and tree traversal.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Round 1: 3 hours coding challenge/ Virtual interview, questions on String manipulation, trees. 3 coding questions 1 hr each, 2-4 video response questions..
    Round 2: Guru Interview - Hirevue (Skype) - discussion on previous round's questions, 3 coding questions from Leetcode, 1 puzzle question
    Round 3: Guide Interview (Phone interview) - Behavioral questions, general discussion about next round
    Round 4: 2 day Onsite event (Finish Line event in San Francisco)
    Day 1 - Attended a Watson developer conference, prepared 2 hrs for a case study in a team of 5
    Day 2 - Case study Presentations (10-15 mins), HR/Behavioral interview (10 mins). Offer confirmation within 4 hrs via text.
    Got the Offer letter next day.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms, time complexity, different approaches to solve a question, Trees, String manipulation   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I was invited to a Hirevue interview where I had to answer questions by recording my responses through a webcam. The questions consisted of both behavioral and technical coding questions. It was quite awkward having to talk to my webcam and I felt put me in a very awkward light. Definitely need more practice taking by yourself before doing this interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of passages filter out the duplicate passages by comparing only alphanumeric characters.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met them at my university recruiting session. Screened my resume, then sent me a hirevue code challenge which took about roughly 2 hours. After that, I was asked to have a one hour interview over a webcam with an engineer. Asked me questions pertaining to what was listed on my resume, about projects and such, some other technical questions, then a few behavioral. Then was asked for a 30 minute interview with HR to determine location preference and my career goals.