IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2017

2.8

434 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

This was the most insane interview process I have ever encountered, and I would highly caution anyone interested in pursuing it as many people I know have had very similar experiences. They started off with a 3 hour long virtual interview. Part of it was behavioral and part of it was coding. The coding questions were of moderate difficulty, involving topics such as hash tables and trees. Overall this was very intense, but fair. I heard back in a few weeks saying I got to the next round, which would involve a technical and a non-technical interview. The technical interviewer asked me questions related to OS (since I was primarily focused on hardware) and the other interviewer asked about things such as location and job preference. Both went well. I then was invited to the "Finish Line" event. They make it seem that if you go to this event, you will receive an offer and there were no more interviews. So I went to this 3 day event in the middle of the week. This involved listening to speakers and developing a project throughout. This occupied an extraordinary amount of time. Basically it was 3 days straight of these activities. By the end of it, I was exhausted and just wanted to go home. Nobody I knew enjoyed their time at this event. However, I was very confident in my performance at the various stages of the interview process. I later received a call confirming this, that I performed well in every aspect. However, they also informed me that there was not a position open at the time and there may be in the coming months. From what it sounded like, I spent all this time interviewing for a position that didn't exist. Of course, after spending all of this time interviewing with IBM, I was furious. They completely wasted a huge amount of time in the middle of the semesters. People I know who received offers were also frustrated by IBM. They refused to tell them the job and location before the acceptance deadline, and were basically bullying them in an extremely unprofessional way to accept their offers. Another one of my friends was promised to be in a certain location when he accepted, and a few months later they said that he had to be moved to another location, totally upending his plans. I have heard plenty of other stories of candidates being treated very disrespectfully by IBM.

This was a truly disappointing experience for me. I really wanted to like IBM and I was excited by the prospect to work there. However, I quickly realized how little they care about the candidates and how poorly they treat them. There is no reason a company of this caliber should behave this way, and all of these experiences really show what kind of company this is. I would not waste my time looking at IBM. There are plenty of other companies of this caliber which have fair and empowering recruitment processes. I wish I had been rejected after the first interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

At first I got Online assignment. After about 3 weeks, I got HireVue Interview. It was a technical interview. Then right after HireVue Interview, I got HireVue Guide Interview. It is a behavioural interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2 dimensional array of landing and leaving time of planes, get the maximum number of planes in the airport.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was hired right out of the university. It was pretty standard. My resume was picked up from my school's career center. Then I received a phone screening and an invitation for interview in the office.
    The interview had 2 parts
    1) Behavioral - conducted by the hiring manager.
    2) Technical - conducted by the technical lead for one of the teams I would end up in.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between deep copy and shallow copy?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I have the web interview include 3 programming problems and 5 behavior problems. All of them are online. You need use a webcam to record you answer. When dealing with programming problem , it is better to do them on the IDE first, and then paste the answer to the web.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I got the online test, but its been almost two week, i haven't heard back from them yet. The online test included 3 coding problems and 5 video problems.
    Im still waiting for their feedback....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Durham, NC) in October 2017.

Interview

Talked to 3 different "recruiters" and they rescheduled my Guide interview 3 times (sometimes HOURS before the interview was supposed to take place). Since I already had an offer from elsewhere, I just canceled the interview after the last time they rescheduled. The recruiter was very unhelpful and unprofessional and wrote with various grammatical and spelling errors, and even got my name incorrect more than once. Overall, a pretty frustrating experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project you did recently where you felt challenged   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

The skills test/interview was through Hirevue.
    There was a combination of answering questions about my experience and why I would be a good fit for the team as well as coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit for our team based on your experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Raleigh, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

Got the interview through employee referral. Was first have a regular recruiter phone interview. The whole process was within 30 mins, very straightforward and friendly. Then I received an online test for numbers and figures. Did not have further interviews tho.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online from Honor Society. After 2-3 weeks, I got an email for online assessment. It has 2 parts. Some behavior/java questions and 3 coding questions. The coding questions are not that hard... But I was so nervous and stuck at the I/O(bufferedreader) part...

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Standard interview practice, first is automated, second is with a developer, and third was a behavioral. They flew out candidates to a 2 day finish line event and made offers to 95% of the candidates. For those who didn't get offers, wasted two days listening to company baptizing.