IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.8

405 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I have the web interview include 3 programming problems and 5 behavior problems. All of them are online. You need use a webcam to record you answer. When dealing with programming problem , it is better to do them on the IDE first, and then paste the answer to the web.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2014.

Interview

Quite relaxed. Initially had a phone interview with HR, then a technical phone interview with someone on the team I was applying for accompanied with a chat with the manager. Eventually I was invited for an in-person interview and I came from across the country to attend and they were very understanding about my time. Sadly there were many applicants so not everyone got a full and thorough screening.
    HR was nice, the technical test was written and I really enjoyed the interview process overall. Best I've ever had I'd say. Heard it was harder for others with a less-technical background. They were grilled more thoroughly than I was.

Interview Questions

• What are some projects you've done in the past and what technologies did you use?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I had two phone interviews with my team, one non-technical, and one technical interview. The Non-technical interview was with my current Manager, who was the hiring manager for the position. The technical interview was conducted by my now-team lead over the phone.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, then a phone technical interview. The process took longer then I expected, as it took more than 2 months to start (after I accepted the offer). The manager himself called me for the first interview, and we had in the very next day another call with some other senior staff engineers to go through technical questions. They were nice and I got the feedback I needed about the interview after it.

Interview Questions

• Mainly Object Oriented questions   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

They let me ask any questions that I had and answered them very thoroughly. The interview was almost entirely with developers. They asked C++ questions and let me talk freely about my experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at IBM in February 2017.

Interview

My girlfriend went to Grace Hopper where IBM likes to participate in modern discrimination by giving priority status to women and minorities. IBM sent her an application link to receive "priority status". She forwarded it to me. I applied via the special link and got an interview the next day. It's odd, because I've applied to dozens of positions over the years and have never heard a peep. Probably because I'm a white male.

Anyway, the interview was a 2-3 hour code test over some webcam. The problems were reasonably difficult - I only solved half of them. I was then scheduled for a Skype interview with some engineering manager in San Jose. He was very disinterested and wasn't paying attention half the time. I surprisingly got the job offer.

The offer was insanely low for San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the code questions. Comparable to Leetcode Easy/Medium. The Skype interview was mostly behavioral.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Standard interview practice, first is automated, second is with a developer, and third was a behavioral. They flew out candidates to a 2 day finish line event and made offers to 95% of the candidates. For those who didn't get offers, wasted two days listening to company baptizing.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Manila, Manila (Philippines)) in March 2013.

Interview

1) Initial HR interview to determine your availability
    2) technical interview to determine your skillset and the placement to a project
    3) behavioral interview to determine your current state of mind and how you handle situations.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult task you have handled?
      what tasks are you currently doing?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

i am fresher , i have power to read any language in 15 days only. i have new idea to change life of world. i give real thinking to real solution .

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Böblingen (Germany)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Böblingen (Germany)) in March 2013.

Interview

Früher habe ich als Praktikant bei der IBM gearbeitet. Währenddessen habe ich sehr gute kontakte gemacht und dafür gesorgt, eine gute Leistung zu machen und einen guten Eindruck hinterlassen. Bei der IBM ist es so, dass wenn man new hires vorschlägt, die dann übernommen werden, kriegt man einen sehr guten Boni. Es ist deswegen sehr oft, dass Praktikanten eine feste Stelle relativ einfach bekommen. Mein vorstellungsgespräch lief über Skype, es war sehr informell und ohne technische Fragen, wie gesagt höchstwahrscheinlich weil sie mich schon kannten und mich haben wollten.

Interview Questions

• Wer bin ich, was kann ich und was will ich?
      Frühere Projekte?