IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.8

399 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met them at my university recruiting session. Screened my resume, then sent me a hirevue code challenge which took about roughly 2 hours. After that, I was asked to have a one hour interview over a webcam with an engineer. Asked me questions pertaining to what was listed on my resume, about projects and such, some other technical questions, then a few behavioral. Then was asked for a 30 minute interview with HR to determine location preference and my career goals.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at IBM in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and a week later I received an invitation to an IPAT assessment which was basic algebraic questions and number sequences. It was mostly difficult due to the time constraint, otherwise it wasn't that bad. It's been over a week and I haven't received a reply. The recruiter failed to include any contact information as well so it's impossible to contact anyone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online through their website. The next day an email was sent out requesting that I complete an IPAT test that is linked to continue to the next stage.
    The test is timed where you have to complete a series of cognitive questions before the time runs out. There are plenty of resources describing it if googled, but it can be likened to an IQ test with reasoning, ratios, number sequences, etc.
    The test was to be completed within 7 days, but recommends completion within 2 days. A response by email is usually within a couple of days.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I'm a new college hire. IBM got my resume from a conference database (I never actually applied!) and asked me to complete an online 3 hour coding assessment through hirevue. I didn't get around to doing it before the deadline, but a month or two later I was invited to schedule a "guru" interview with one of their software engineers. This was an hour-long coding interview. The questions (just a couple) were pretty typical and my interviewer was really fun to talk to! Then I was invited to a Finish Line event, but first had to complete the "Guide Interview" (an up-to 30 minute conversation about where you'd like to be) and the original online coding assessment. I did both of these the day before I went to the Finish Line event. The event seemed to be more about convincing us (~200 people) to work at IBM than another assessment. I didn't talk to a human recruiter specifically assigned to me until after an offer was extended.

Interview Questions

• At the finish line event, we were asked to give group presentations to a panel about using IBM technology.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

It was a recorded interview session that I took (not the live one). It had 4-5 ques video based where they'll ask you to record your answer for a given question or problem set. The rest 3 would be coding and you can choose either JAVA or Python to do so.

Interview Questions

• Amlost all the questions are related to machine learning and NLP. The most simplest was a Python code to solved.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial Screening Process included 5 behavioral questions and 3 technical questions with programming language of your choice. You can choose from a list of programming languages.
    Haven't received any update yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Springfield, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Online Assessment via Hirevue 7 questions ~3 hours 2. "Guru" technical interview also via Hirevue with IBM engineer for 1hr. Waiting to hear from HR about the next round. Heard there is another round "Guide Interview" Then there is another on-site round as well in mid-november. Pretty longwinded process.

Interview Questions

• three coding questions in OA: string manipulation, fizzbuzz, tree traversal(-difficult). In Guru Interview: resume walkthrough, find missing number problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

Given a link to Hirevue interview. Took 3 hours to complete. Questions not too difficult, a couple of standard interview questions and three algorithm/coding questions. Yet to hear back for the rest of the process

Interview Questions

• How does your experience make you a good candidate for this job?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through the career fair, then a couple weeks later received an email about the coding challenge. I did that, the first problem is similar to fizzbuzz. The second problem is about string manipulation and the last one is about data structure. After that, I didn't hear back from them so I assumed there's no offer.

Interview Questions

• What technology did you learn on your own and what is the advantage of that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I interviewed at IBM (Raleigh, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

It was an on the phone interview. First half was describing the position to me and the second half was behavioral questions. Overall, it was a pretty standard interview apart from me being unprepared to discuss the technology trends.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite and least favorite class in college and why?
      What do you do to keep up with trends in the technology industry?   Answer Question