IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

They had me do a 4 hour digital interview where I answered 3 coding questions and filmed me responding to personal questions. After I completed the interview I received an email stating that I would be contacted by an IBM representative and never was.

Interview Questions

• Given an input of employee names and their managers (john->mary) create a way to search for the closest common manager given two employees that were having conflict.   Answer Question
  • Given a paragraph of sentences output the sentence containing all other sentences, ignore case and characters that weren't letters.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

1) Apply
    2) Coding Challenge (3 hours) with recording of answers to behavioral questions
    3) Guru Interview (1:1 technical interview if you pass the coding challenge)
    4) Finish Line Interview (If you pass guru interview)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Quite frankly the worst interview process I've ever had the displeasure of going through. I applied in September and immediately got a response that I passed the coding challenge. However, after that my recruiter did not contact me for 2 months, and then finally scheduled a Finish Line event in December. By the time I got to select potential places to work, 2 other rounds of 200 new graduates already had their selections. IBM wasted my time, and mislead me by flying me out to a Finish Line event only to have the scraps of opportunities left. Don't bother applying here they don't treat you well and waste your time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

online application, then online coding test, then video screen interview
    the coding test is interesting. It include several coding questions and behavior questions.
    the video screen was with two person, one engineer and one manager.

Interview Questions

• hashmap txt manipulation, reverse string   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the following day from a recruiter within the company and was told to do a 3 hour online exam. He said if I had any questions just email him. I had a few questions before starting so I emailed him but never got a response. I did the online exam the following day. The online exam was very bizarre; there was no one on the other end and I had to record answers by speaking into my webcam. There was also 3 coding questions. About a week and a half later, I received an email from the same recruiter saying that I had passed the online exam and that he would call me within 48 hours to schedule an online whiteboard interview with one of their engineers.

I never received a call from the recruiter and any email I sent to him was met with radio silence. Very unprofessional. I spent 3 hours doing their HireVue exam so the least I expect is to at least get a followup email from the recruiter that they changed their mind or something instead of just ignoring me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lanham, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Lanham, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fine. But I never heard back after the interview.

They just completely blew me off. The recruiter did not respond to any of three weekly emails after the interview.

A form letter rejection email would have been fine. But nope, complete silence.

I find that appalling and pretty rude.

Interview Questions

• A series of software questions about MVC architecture.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in July 2016.

Interview

Talked to manager and was told a phone screen would be set up with a tech lead. Two weeks later, it was finally scheduled. Took time out of my vacation to receive call. Tech lead never called, so I withdrew myself from consideration.

Super disorganized and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• are you available for a phone screen?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

at scheduled time went to company location for face to face interview. at beginning, meet with front desk and make an appointment, then take an interview with one member of team. then recruiter starts to ask questions. after answers all questions, recruiter asks you to go to lobby and chat with other employees of company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Lansing, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

Two behavioral interviews and a "technical" interview. The interviewer showed up late for my technical interview and did not have time to do the technical assessment. He stumbled through my resume and asked me trivial questions about sorting. I was very disappointed with how I was treated and I hope other candidates are not treated so poorly.

Interview Questions

• What sorts do programming languages use?   1 Answer
    • What is fastest: Heap, Merge, or Quick sort.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Three phone interviews, 1 behavorial, 1 technical, and 1 regarding verdict of decision. Pretty standard and straightforward. Technical questions ranged deadlocks to hash tables. Behavorial questions were standard i.e. why do you want to work for us?