IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

After initial contact I was asked to do a phone interview. The interview was a brief process over the phone. It took less than 15 mins. and consisted of technical questions. Nothing too difficult, just job related questions. Also, asked what software as a service is.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a Mail from the HR within 2 weeks. Had a phone interview scheduled. There were no coding test for screening. My background was on JAVA and C++ which did not suite the companies requirements at that point. Interview duration: 30 minutes approx. Two days after the interview got a reject mail.

Interview Questions

• Have you taken a course or worked with semantics and linguistics?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Applied online for the post Software Engineer (Entry level) from the IBM careers website. Got an email requesting to take an online aptitude test. Lot of Math problems. Difficulty level was very high when compared to time limit. Gave the test last week waiting for the result and next process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

face to face via web app. Several programming logic questions were asked. There were questions about what I have worked on in the past and what I like to do. I had two interviews several weeks apart and it would have been nice to know that I would not be getting an offer. I thought the interviews went well but I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• I had to write code for a specific problem. I could chose the language   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Littleton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Littleton, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a few weeks later by the hiring manager. He called me and asked me questions about my resume, including questions about teamwork experience and things such as that. Afterwards, I was emailed about setting up an on-site interview. They flew me out to their location a few weeks later and I met with the hiring manager, a software engineer that I would possibly work with and a project manager who would most likely end up being my boss. The hiring manager didn't ask me that many questions since he had already talked to me before. The software engineer asked me some technical questions (write a method that does this etc.) and some OOP conceptual questions (what would this program do, etc.). The project manager asked me more in-depth questions about my resume, including how well I work with others and such (the typical behavioral questions). A couple weeks later, they emailed me an offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that determines if a string is a palindrome.
      Know OOP concepts such as inheritance.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I applied online. Within a couple of weeks I heard back from a recruiter for the company. There was a phone screening - mine lasted about an hour, but it was just to get a feel for the company. It was very relaxed. I have not yet heard from the company.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

One phone screening with hiring manager, and then another phone interview with a member of the team. After that they send me th IPAT test. After one one week I got an offer for an onsite interview. The process was good and mostly about check your personality. Very basic Algorithms and Data structure questions and C++. Offer came after 2 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Yorktown Heights, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I was referred by my friend who has interned in IBM. Before that I already submitted my CV to their online recruitment system, but I seriously doubt there's any use of it.

There's a 1 hour phone screen with 2 interviewers at the same time. They asked some simple coding and behavioral questions. After that they're interested enough to invite me to on-site interview, but I still have to push them a bit because my other interviews were around the corner and I had to schedule them quick.

I was invited to the IBM Watson office. At IBM almost every employee has a separated office room, so I just met every interviewer at his own office. The interview started early and there're about 8 interviewers (I lost count and they didn't send me the schedule either), each last for 1 hour except the one who took me to lunch, so the entire process is actually quite tiring.

1 week later I sent a follow-up mail to the HR but only got silence. Then after another 2 weeks I sent another follow-up mail to the manager and some interviewers and finally heard from them that I'm no longer considered.

Interview Questions

• Almost every interviewer asked me to introduce my background and previous works, and then pick the part he's interested in to go further. Besides that, only 1 interviewer asked me algorithm question, and maybe 2 asked questions about C++ language; all the remaining are general behavioral questions.

There's 1 interview with 2 interviewers from security department. I assume it's some kind of security measure since they obviously have fewer professional background.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The first step is completing a 'do on your own time' within 5 days online interview. It had 7 questions, 3 code based and the last asked you to explain how you solved the last coding question. All but the code based questions give you a timer of a few minutes to read the question then you are recorded through the webcam for the allotted time they give you to answer the question.

Interview Questions

• reverse a string, and capitalize correctly: Hello World -> Dlrow Olleh   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I applied online. After a week or so I got an e-mail from the hiring manager to schedule a call. I talked with the hiring manager. We discussed the position and whether it would be a good fit. There were no specific technical questions. We both agreed it would be a good fit and decided to move forward with an onsite. Between the call and the onsite there was an…

Interview Questions

• he coding test was fairly standard algorithms questions from books like Cracking the Coding Interview. They weren't too hard, but if I didn't study I may have had a time crunch. One of the questions was a bit more complex with a page long specification and some unique requirements.   Answer Question