IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.8

405 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through the career fair, then a couple weeks later received an email about the coding challenge. I did that, the first problem is similar to fizzbuzz. The second problem is about string manipulation and the last one is about data structure. After that, I didn't hear back from them so I assumed there's no offer.

Interview Questions

• What technology did you learn on your own and what is the advantage of that?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I interviewed at IBM (Raleigh, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

It was an on the phone interview. First half was describing the position to me and the second half was behavioral questions. Overall, it was a pretty standard interview apart from me being unprepared to discuss the technology trends.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite and least favorite class in college and why?
      What do you do to keep up with trends in the technology industry?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

They had me do a 4 hour digital interview where I answered 3 coding questions and filmed me responding to personal questions. After I completed the interview I received an email stating that I would be contacted by an IBM representative and never was.

Interview Questions

• Given an input of employee names and their managers (john->mary) create a way to search for the closest common manager given two employees that were having conflict.   Answer Question
    • Given a paragraph of sentences output the sentence containing all other sentences, ignore case and characters that weren't letters.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

1) Apply
    2) Coding Challenge (3 hours) with recording of answers to behavioral questions
    3) Guru Interview (1:1 technical interview if you pass the coding challenge)
    4) Finish Line Interview (If you pass guru interview)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Hireview video interviews (answer interview questions into a webcam as well as some very easy programming questions) followed by CEO interview with current software engineers asking basic interview questions and discussing background

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in September 2016.

Interview

Two interviews were taken via On demand video streaming for two different entry level software engineer positions. Both of the interviews had 7-8 questions, among which there were three problems which required coding. The rest of the problems (one behavioral and rest technical) required to record video responses. The time required for the interview was about four hours, although they mentioned that it should not take more than three hours.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?
      How do your background and experience make you a fit for this position?
      The coding problems involved string manipulation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the following day from a recruiter within the company and was told to do a 3 hour online exam. He said if I had any questions just email him. I had a few questions before starting so I emailed him but never got a response. I did the online exam the following day. The online exam was very bizarre; there was no one on the other end and I had to record answers by speaking into my webcam. There was also 3 coding questions. About a week and a half later, I received an email from the same recruiter saying that I had passed the online exam and that he would call me within 48 hours to schedule an online whiteboard interview with one of their engineers.

I never received a call from the recruiter and any email I sent to him was met with radio silence. Very unprofessional. I spent 3 hours doing their HireVue exam so the least I expect is to at least get a followup email from the recruiter that they changed their mind or something instead of just ignoring me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Quite frankly the worst interview process I've ever had the displeasure of going through. I applied in September and immediately got a response that I passed the coding challenge. However, after that my recruiter did not contact me for 2 months, and then finally scheduled a Finish Line event in December. By the time I got to select potential places to work, 2 other rounds of 200 new graduates already had their selections. IBM wasted my time, and mislead me by flying me out to a Finish Line event only to have the scraps of opportunities left. Don't bother applying here they don't treat you well and waste your time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

online application, then online coding test, then video screen interview
    the coding test is interesting. It include several coding questions and behavior questions.
    the video screen was with two person, one engineer and one manager.

Interview Questions

• hashmap txt manipulation, reverse string   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lanham, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Lanham, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fine. But I never heard back after the interview.

They just completely blew me off. The recruiter did not respond to any of three weekly emails after the interview.

A form letter rejection email would have been fine. But nope, complete silence.

I find that appalling and pretty rude.