IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

1) Apply
2) Coding Challenge (3 hours) with recording of answers to behavioral questions
3) Guru Interview (1:1 technical interview if you pass the coding challenge)
4) Finish Line Interview (If you pass guru interview)

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Hireview video interviews (answer interview questions into a webcam as well as some very easy programming questions) followed by CEO interview with current software engineers asking basic interview questions and discussing background

Interview Questions

• Basic background information about previous experience   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in September 2016.

Interview

Two interviews were taken via On demand video streaming for two different entry level software engineer positions. Both of the interviews had 7-8 questions, among which there were three problems which required coding. The rest of the problems (one behavioral and rest technical) required to record video responses. The time required for the interview was about four hours, although they mentioned that it should not take more than three hours.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?
      How do your background and experience make you a fit for this position?
      The coding problems involved string manipulation
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the following day from a recruiter within the company and was told to do a 3 hour online exam. He said if I had any questions just email him. I had a few questions before starting so I emailed him but never got a response. I did the online exam the following day. The online exam was very bizarre; there was no one on the other end and I had to record answers by speaking into my webcam. There was also 3 coding questions. About a week and a half later, I received an email from the same recruiter saying that I had passed the online exam and that he would call me within 48 hours to schedule an online whiteboard interview with one of their engineers.

I never received a call from the recruiter and any email I sent to him was met with radio silence. Very unprofessional. I spent 3 hours doing their HireVue exam so the least I expect is to at least get a followup email from the recruiter that they changed their mind or something instead of just ignoring me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Quite frankly the worst interview process I've ever had the displeasure of going through. I applied in September and immediately got a response that I passed the coding challenge. However, after that my recruiter did not contact me for 2 months, and then finally scheduled a Finish Line event in December. By the time I got to select potential places to work, 2 other rounds of 200 new graduates already had their selections. IBM wasted my time, and mislead me by flying me out to a Finish Line event only to have the scraps of opportunities left. Don't bother applying here they don't treat you well and waste your time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

online application, then online coding test, then video screen interview
    the coding test is interesting. It include several coding questions and behavior questions.
    the video screen was with two person, one engineer and one manager.

Interview Questions

• hashmap txt manipulation, reverse string   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lanham, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Lanham, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fine. But I never heard back after the interview.

They just completely blew me off. The recruiter did not respond to any of three weekly emails after the interview.

A form letter rejection email would have been fine. But nope, complete silence.

I find that appalling and pretty rude.

Interview Questions

• A series of software questions about MVC architecture.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Poughkeepsie, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Poughkeepsie, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

A very simple process. Had a aptitude test before the interview with a group Manager. Manager simply asked about my interest and told me about the project. They did not ask any technical questions, though the project they described was obviously very technical. Was told to apply to another Software Engineering Intern position on the website, after I did so I got an offer letter within 3 days.

Interview Questions

• Why did you pick Computer Engineering?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Paid based on credits completed towards degree.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in July 2016.

Interview

Talked to manager and was told a phone screen would be set up with a tech lead. Two weeks later, it was finally scheduled. Took time out of my vacation to receive call. Tech lead never called, so I withdrew myself from consideration.

Super disorganized and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• are you available for a phone screen?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

at scheduled time went to company location for face to face interview. at beginning, meet with front desk and make an appointment, then take an interview with one member of team. then recruiter starts to ask questions. after answers all questions, recruiter asks you to go to lobby and chat with other employees of company.

Interview Questions

See What IBM Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Current IBM Cloud in Denver, CO

Pros: “The amount of business acumen across industries, languages and cultures is invigorating. There is no problem that cannot be solved - or so it seems. According to IBM's founder's...”“The amount of business acumen across industries, languages and cultures is invigorating. There is no problem that cannot be solved - or so it seems. According to IBM's founder's view that "...every problem mankind is confronted with, can be solved, if people only THINK..." is embodied in how this large organism works every day. You get to contribute to solving problems like cancer, water shortages, production impasses, irrigation systems and many more with the solutions you help build. It is very rewarding to play a small - and sometimes not so small - part in solving bib problems.” – Full Review