IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Durham, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

After applying online, a month and a half later I was called to schedule an interview. The interview occurred over the phone, where I spoke with two managers in a conference call. After the interview, I was asked to complete an online aptitude test and supplement my application with additional information. A few days later, they called me back with a decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time there was conflict in a group you were a part of, and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was pleasant, and the company showed a willingness to work with me.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Neverending coding challenges online where they watch you code through your webcam. Very creepy and overly invasive just to make sure you don't "google anything", because apparently the engineers at IBM Watson never forget anything and all have photographic memories. Absolutely ridiculous and not worth what they're paying considering they're in NYC.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Dallas, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied through there site, then I was contacted a few weeks later and had a phone screening I then had a technical phone interview the next week. I had an in person interview the following week with several different people.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I submitted a resume through a current IBM employee. I had a brief phone interview that only briefly touched my technical experience. I then took an aptitude test and that was that. It turns out it was an easy interview because they were not looking for specific technical experience (certain programming languages or what have you) but instead looking to see if you would be able to pick up on whatever would be thrown at you once you arrived.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a past programming project you worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Very personable interview to get to know who I am and what I'm familiar with. General technical questions but no trick or challenging or brain-teaser type questions. They talked more about what I would be doing on a day to day basis. They let me ask them about the company, my responsibilities, and just had a nice chat in general.

Interview Questions

• Familiar with Linux/Unix environment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Yorktown Heights, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

It is a very streamline process. First, we had a phone screen interview with 2-3 people where basically it was just a background check and finally some technical quizzes and coding on the screen using something hirevue platform. If you passed the screening a recruiter will call you for an onsite interview. Onsite interview went very smooth and long, it was 5 interviews, 2 whiteboard coding and 3 behavioral with managers.

Interview Questions

• Rather than asking complex algorithm quizzes, they asked me to implement some basic data structures like trees, merge sort, finally merging an array of linkedlists, but they want you to walk every step and they often interrupted with "what if we want to implement this" or "can you imagine what design pattern need to be used if we were to implement additional feature Y".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied the job from HireTeamMate, which is posted by the hiring manager directly (HireTeamMate is called the Uber for Hiring).
    I got contacted a few hours after applied, and got phone interivew the 2nd day.

Interview Questions

• first check my background on design and system, and OOP case design.
      then write some simple code over the phone.
      then some general questions
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's program.

After about a week, they contacted me through email. We scheduled a phone screen to see if we would be a good fit for each other.

The phone interview was with 2 members of the team and consisted of details of what the job was about, both technical and behavioral questions relating to Computer Science, and technical questions about the projects on my resume.

They wanted someone with strong Java and Javascript skills, and I was looking to get away from Java and only into Javascript. We agreed we were not meant to be and parted ways.

Overall, very nice and professional.

Interview Questions

• Why IBM?
      What do you know about IBM?
      Why Computer Science?
      What interests you about the position?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Kansas City, KS) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through University career fair and got a call from the hiring manager after about 3 months. They said they were interested in discussing an intern position and gave me the details.

The first round was a technical and social interview with the hiring manager and the project manager and the senior tech architect of the branch. Questions were on databases, my previous projects, few more technical questions to be solved (a little complex towards the end). I was then given a programming project to be done at home and submit the code along with description.

I was interviewed on the project and few more technical questions by the hiring manager and then the third round was behavioral and social. They asked me to take an aptitude test which is a must for all their employees and was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I contacted a manager who had sent out an email to our school's mailing list about a software development internship. I emailed him and he contacted me with a time for a phone interview. There was only one phone interview that was ~45 minutes. No coding technical questions, just questions about knowledge. There were no other rounds. They immediately made an offer a few days after the internship.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Originally, housing was not included in my salary. I asked about housing and a substantial stipend was given to me.