IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 17, 2017

2.8

426 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Yorktown Heights, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I was referred by my friend who has interned in IBM. Before that I already submitted my CV to their online recruitment system, but I seriously doubt there's any use of it.

There's a 1 hour phone screen with 2 interviewers at the same time. They asked some simple coding and behavioral questions. After that they're interested enough to invite me to on-site interview, but I still have to push them a bit because my other interviews were around the corner and I had to schedule them quick.

I was invited to the IBM Watson office. At IBM almost every employee has a separated office room, so I just met every interviewer at his own office. The interview started early and there're about 8 interviewers (I lost count and they didn't send me the schedule either), each last for 1 hour except the one who took me to lunch, so the entire process is actually quite tiring.

1 week later I sent a follow-up mail to the HR but only got silence. Then after another 2 weeks I sent another follow-up mail to the manager and some interviewers and finally heard from them that I'm no longer considered.

Interview Questions

• Almost every interviewer asked me to introduce my background and previous works, and then pick the part he's interested in to go further. Besides that, only 1 interviewer asked me algorithm question, and maybe 2 asked questions about C++ language; all the remaining are general behavioral questions.

There's 1 interview with 2 interviewers from security department. I assume it's some kind of security measure since they obviously have fewer professional background.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I applied online. After a week or so I got an e-mail from the hiring manager to schedule a call. I talked with the hiring manager. We discussed the position and whether it would be a good fit. There were no specific technical questions. We both agreed it would be a good fit and decided to move forward with an onsite. Between the call and the onsite there was an…

Interview Questions

• he coding test was fairly standard algorithms questions from books like Cracking the Coding Interview. They weren't too hard, but if I didn't study I may have had a time crunch. One of the questions was a bit more complex with a page long specification and some unique requirements.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

There was a phone interview first to check my interest, followed by an in person group interview to test my skills and see if my personality was a good match. They were friendly and professional, and even though I didn't receive an offer, I felt the process was an overall positive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (Foster City, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a friend ,first round was a telephonic round where the interviewer asked me a simple code and asked about my background.After clearing the telephonic round I was asked to come onsite for back to back 3 interviewers.The first interviewer asked me some basic question and had asked two coding questions ,he was continuously interacting with me during the problem solving which was positive.The second interviewer didn't seem to have any interest in the interview and gave me a problem and sat on his chair typing something .He neither interacted with me nor reviewed the problem .It was the worst interview I ever faced ,IBM should not allow such people to take interviews .The third interviewer was a fresh graduate who himself was not sure what he is asking .Overall the experience was horrible with interviewer themselves not much experience to take interviews .Very negative interview experience

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Between the call and the onsite there was an online interview and coding test. The interview was a bit strange. I had to record video answers to written questions with no feedback from a real person. The programming questions were fairly standard. There was a decent editor and the ability to run some test cases (they defined the test cases). Two of the problems were fairly straight forward (like you would see in an interview prep book). One of the problems was a bit more complex. They gave me an hour and it took pretty much the whole time. The whole coding test took about 3 hours.

The onsite was about 5 hours and included lunch. I met with a few managers and one engineer. The managers asked some behavioral questions ("Tell me about a time when..."). And the engineer asked more technical questions. Since the coding test was focused on algorithms the engineer interview was more focused on architecture and object-oriented principles. Everyone was very nice and enthusiastic about the project, which was much appreciated.

A few days after the interview I got an informal verbal offer from the hiring manager and set up a meeting with the VP in charge of the group who gave me the salary numbers and explained the project at a higher level. About a week after the interview I got the formal offer letter in my e-mail.

Interview Questions

• The coding test was fairly standard algorithms questions from books like Cracking the Coding Interview. They weren't too hard, but if I didn't study I may have had a time crunch. One of the questions was a bit more complex with a page long specification and some unique requirements.

The onsite was mostly behavioral ("Tell me about a time when...") with some software engineering questions relating to architecture and design.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM in November 2015.

Interview

Phone Screen followed by full-day interview on-site and lunch with the team. Split day into 5 x 1-1.5 hour interviews with project lead, lead software architect, and two software engineers from within the team. Mix of behavioral/ technical questions from all interviewers, in proportion from 50/50 to 100%. Mix of whiteboarding, coding on paper, and walking thru code sample from one of my earlier projects (a lot of "why did I write it that way?" open-ended questions.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to compare two strings and determine if they're the same.   Answer Question
    • Write a method to flatten and re-arrange a json structure.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Israel, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Israel, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Got referred by a friend. After 3 weeks I got a phone call to set an interview.

I have to say that the interviewer wasn't that nice. He decided to cut the interview after he saw that I'm having a hard time solving the questions.

Interview Questions

• Create a random string (without using library functions) with a given length.   Answer Question
    • Sort an array by mod3 -
      All elements of mod3=0 would be before all elements of mod3=1... So on. Do it in linear time.   Answer Question
    • Given an unsorted array and int k, find all pairs of numbers from the array that sum up to k.   Answer Question
    • Print the power set of the given set.   Answer Question
    • Explain how hash table works.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I had a technical phone interview that went over some basic coding questions. It was not too difficult. After this, there was an online exam that tested basic math and logic skills. There was a probability section, a basic math section, etc. You didn't have much time to answer the individual questions, but the questions were not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a pointer and a reference?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Tucson, AZ) in October 2015.

Interview

I was recommended for a full time job after having interviewed me for an internship and not hiring me. In both interviews, there was a panel of 6 people asking different questions about me and my experience in both C and Java. In the full time interview I was given a coding challenge which I had to do on the board and explain my way through it.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to reverse a string but keep the spacing where it was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

3 rounds and the IPAT (logic placement test)
    1) behavioral - the guy was kinda rude to me
    2) technical - Python and C questions and a riddle
    3) experiences and behavioral

IPAT was hard and tiresome

Interview Questions

I got a better offer and IBM isn't that lucrative for tech mainly for business.