IBM Technical Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 2, 2017

2.9

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Assessment centre consisted from:
1) IBM presentation.
2) 2 group exercises (1 logical and 1 more business orientated). There was a significant break between each exercise. After group exercise 2/3 of candidates were send home.
3) 1 to 1 competency interview. Other candidates told that it was more like a chat, but mine was not like that.

It took approximately 8 hours, or 5h for those who have done only group exercises.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

After filling in their application template next stage is online IPAT tests involving sequence recognition and numerical reasoning (questions on percentages, ratios etc).
    After this invited to Assessment centre. This involved 2 group exercises, one logic problem and one discussion exercise (creating an idea and pitching it). After this majority of candidates get sent home including myself. My feedback from the day was very positive for the logic exercise but not so much for the discussion to the point that the feedback from each exercise directly contradicted.
    In logic ex they are assessing your drive and leadership skills, team skills and creative problem solving skills.
    In discussion ex they are looking at your client focus, communication, drive and leadership as well as your ability to adapt to changing situations.

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

I firstly had a phone interview with project manager. In the second tour I was interviewed by three people. Generally speaking every one was very friendly. I lked their work setup as well. Great place to be.

Interview Questions

• They were asking a lot of technical Unix questions, but it was not hard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

I completed online application which involved the usual competency based questions and after was as invited to an assessment day at their headquarters in London. The day was split into two, there were two group exercises in the morning and successful candidates were invited into the afternoon where interviews took place. The two group exercises were about half an hour long each and I felt didn't really enable the assessors to make an informed decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Submit application and CV online. Then they determine whether you will be given an online IPAT test. Sit the IPAT and if you pass you are invited for an AC. The AC day is one day for successful candidates, and half a day for unsuccessful candidates. The morning involves a confirmatory IPAT, which is quite tough, and two group exercises. One exercise is logic based and the other is event planning. Second half of the day involves a paired exercise where you pitch a solution to a given problem to two interviewers. Then there is an interview with a Professional Development Manager - it's just a chat about your interests.

Interview Questions

• How did I have to behave or work differently as a woman in the sciences.   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

It's a very long process. It took 3 months between the initial application and the first assessment centre. I didn't get through to the second assessment centre for this position. Online application with very long application form - fill the form out honestly because you will get asked about it. Second step is invitation to do an online test. Practise sequences and very very quick basic maths - it's not the difficulty but the timing that will get you. Most people feel like the did horrendously in the IPAT, so chin up! The assessment centre was split into morning and afternoon sessions. The morning session included an IPAT confirmatory test, a verbal reasoning test and a numerical test, a logic-based group discussion and a company presentation. For the group discussion we were split into groups of 6 and given a logic puzzle to complete in 45 min. Two silent assessors take notes on how people act within the group. Lunch - sandwiches, fruit, crisps, and drinks - was provided. After lunch those who 'passed' the morning session were invited to a one-on-one in person interview. Standard questions about the CV were followed by a few case/market sizing questions. (This wasn't the question I was asked, but they're the "How many petrol stations are there in the UK"-type questions.)

Interview Questions

• The market sizing question required you to make assumptions and be able to back it up. E.g. number of people in the UK, number of households etc. There's no right answer, main thing is to see how you process information and whether you think logically.   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Bengaluru (India)) in December 2012.

Interview

Recruiter contacted directly and scheduled the interview.Totally 2 interviews one technical and Manager round.Technical round is internal telephonic round and Manager round is face- to- face.

Interview Questions

• no unexpected questions . They tested the knowledge of the candidate on both technical and functional side   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Moscow (Russia)) in April 2012.

Interview

Interview was non-formal and friendly. I couldn't really feel like they was stressing me, but in the same time they could figure out my background and my level of knowledge. I general I enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• My background, my experience. How I handle conversational issues. Some technical questions like what hypervisors and what flavors of Linux I know   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in September 2011.

Interview

First happen telephonic interview.
    Then face to face interview with panel of interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why are you changing the job?   1 Answer

Technical Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM in August 2011.

Interview

Initial interview was within a couple of days of my application. Perhaps one of the best interviews and interviewers I've had. Gentleman was very relaxed, polite and helpful. Interviewer had suggestions to offer, indicated I would be moving to the next interview step, but didn't know when that might occur. Obviously, in a contract situation this depends upon the clients timeframe. My overall impression was VERY POSITIVE.

Interview Questions

• What things do you look for in an employment opportunity to make it a good fit?   Answer Question
    • What about travel, are you open to it? How much travel have you done in the past?   Answer Question