IBM Interview Questions in Texas | Glassdoor

2.8

195 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Digital Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

Hand in the resume on on-campus career event, had one phone interview. After that, I had not heard back in a month. Then they asked me to do an on-site interview. Before the on-site interview, they asked for an online IQ test

Interview Questions

• During the phone interview, I was asked about some concept questions on out-of-order execution and cache. Asked me to describe reorder buffer, history file, and future file. Also talked about Tomasulo Algorithm.

Had to do an IQ test online before the on-site interview...

There are about 6 rounds during on-site. Meet with the management team, including a few higher level managers. Mostly discussed my previous experiences and projects. Only two rounds are technical, in which one round, I discussed out-of-order execution again (still those topics, reorder buffer, history file, future file, Tomasulo, etc. ). In the other one, discussed the memory access of out-order-execution. Basically, during an out of order execution, what if after a memory write go through, a dependency is discovered (in other words, we write to the wrong memory address).

Interview is really on the easy side, comparing to Nvidia's and Apple's.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was hired right out of the university. It was pretty standard. My resume was picked up from my school's career center. Then I received a phone screening and an invitation for interview in the office.
    The interview had 2 parts
    1) Behavioral - conducted by the hiring manager.
    2) Technical - conducted by the technical lead for one of the teams I would end up in.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between deep copy and shallow copy?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied to the data scientist position Fall 2017 with a campus recruiting system. I was reached out to a few weeks later to take a technical screen interview consisting of typical interview questions, technical questions, and then two coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions, very basic statistics questions, and general ML questions (not on specific models) and coding questions that are similar in style to HackerRank   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

What. A. Joke.

I spent more than two months going through the most arduous interview process with IBM. Not because they ask hard questions. No, simply because they are the most incompetent organization for hiring that it has been my misfortune to interact with.

It started in September with a 3-hour virtual interview. That's fine by me. I moved on through. Then over the course of the next 2 months I was scheduled with two phone interviews (none of which were with Data Scientists or taught me anything new about the company or position).

I found out at that point that I had made it through to the last round, something called the Finish Line event. Now bear in mind that the vast majority of companies will screen candidates by phone/video or with on-campus interviews, then bring you in for a day of interviews. IBM eschewed this process in favor of a mandatory 3-day bonanza in the middle of the week. Three days!! That's an insane amount of time to expect people to take off work and school to come interview. I was particularly stressed with due dates for a number of projects going on at the same time. But no matter, it's alright because they're telling us that the Finish Line is for us to come to love IBM; almost everyone will be getting an offer.

So I shrug off the crazy amount of time and go down. What I step into is a complete circus where incompetence, overpromising, and disappointment take center stage. There are technical difficulties the first night as they try and wow us with Watson. Then the next day they usher all the Data Scientists into a room for a conversation with a real IBM data scientist. Only the person in question was not a data scientist nor had he ever been. I discovered later that they had failed to bring one. single. data scientist to the entire event. In other words, I learned nothing from the entire event about the role which they wanted to hire me for (let that sink in). Then there was the TED talk-inspired presentation (the guy averaged maybe 15 words a minute), the self-aggrandizing series of presentations about how awesome IBM is (all delivered by HR and complete with the “Good morning”…”louder!”…”Good morning!” process from elementary school speakers), and a lackluster tour of the Austin campus (it’s remarkable how much they wanted to seem like a Facebook or Google). All the proceeding are centered on the Finish Line Challenge, an event which

But all of this would be forgivable of course (HR is going to be HR), if it wasn’t for the fact that they didn’t actually want to hire folks. I’m not kidding. These people dropped about a cool million dollars to wow us with a three day all-expense paid trip to Austin only to not hire the majority of people. They promised in an e-mail (and at the event), speedy resolution on hiring decisions within 48 hours (while also telling us that we’d only get 5 days to respond). So far they have not hired a single data scientist from the event and have only gotten in contact with a few people to tell them that they have more applicants than positions available and that they’d be placed on a waitlist (not a joke that is the language they’ve been using). Unfortunately, they seem to be forgetting that this is not the college admissions process and that they’re insulting some of the most in-demand college graduates that exist.

I have say that this has been a personally infuriating experience, where my time has been wasted and no apology is forthcoming. It wasn’t all terrible: the highlights of the whole experience were the hotel (the staff were awesome), the people I was placed on a team with, and the IBM engineers who mentored us through our short projects.

Cognitive Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

One online assessment
    One technical interview over phone
    One behavioral interview over phone
    Finish-line event.

160 of us arrived in Austin for the finish-line event. They told us 90% of us would be hired. This is not true. We were in Austin for three days trying to work on a business idea that we had to pitch on the last day. They seemed to prefer local students over international ones.

Interview Questions

• Their questions seem random. I was asked how to build an auto-completer?
      Questions about my projects   Answer Question

SummitProgram Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Fort Worth, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through a campus career service. Had an on campus interview for the first round that was very relaxed and helpful. A lot of questions about the company and fit within for myself.

IBM Entry Level Cognitive Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Interview by recording through HireVue. Records even the coding exercises. The coding exercise are not entry level and are very involved. You have to choose java or python. Hirevue collects 22,000 points of data on your face.

Technical Sales Summit Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

I met the recruiters through a career fair at my University. I was looking for a developer role but they were only hiring technical salesmen. Online assessment was difficult, been waiting 3 weeks and they still haven't gotten back to me. Pretty slow process.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation where you had to build a relationship with someone under difficult circumstances?   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

1st stage was a 3 question coding program, 5 question behavioral HireVue recording session. 2nd stage was a guru interview (the technical interview) 1 on 1 with a live interviewer. 3rd stage was a guide interview (the behavioral interview) 1 on 1 with a live interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Guide interview is important!   1 Answer

Software Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (Westlake, TX).

Interview

Interview was fairly laid back. Talked with 2 managers. A few questions on past experience, and an aptitude test (mathematics and pattern recognition). Caveat, This was from my interview ~18 years ago.

Interview Questions

• How would you start with a customer on the phone who is obviously already unhappy?   1 Answer