IBM Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 23, 2018

3.2

362 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Finance Placement Interview

Interview

It was a long interview, very difficult. The hiring manager seemed nice though, asked about 20 questions on different aspects of my life. Would recommend applying to everyone! Great company!

Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

4 hour morning comprised of 2 group exercises and an individual 25 minute interview. Staff all very helpful and was able to ask a lot of questions and get good responses. However, after 2 emails and a phone call still no feedback from IBM, disappointing.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you were able to problem solve and come up with something really creative?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)).

Interview

Online IQ test (reasonably easy, logic questions, if you get one right you get a harder question, so if they get harder you're doing well), in person Assessment Centre

At the centre (formal dress, suit or jacket + tie), they get you to do an easier version of the IQ test (to check you didn't cheat with the online one). Then you do a series of group interviews, focusing on how well you work as a group. Don't try to win, try to help your team do well, be inclusive, get input from everyone without being overbearing.

Then you do a couple of in-person interviews. You'll probably present a presentation they asked you to write using someone's laptop, I recommend formatting as pdf. For the graduate interview there weren't any coding questions, as they take people without degrees, but there were general coding ability questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a technical problem you had to overcome, and how you solved it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a disagreement you had with your team, and how you solved it.   Answer Question
    • Sell us this pizza cutter as a group.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

It was smooth running and getting details on next stages was clear. It had 3 stages, very similar to other companies. IBM is a global company and you could feel that through the interview process

Interview Questions

• A lot about getting conflicting requirements from my client and how I dealt with it   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Smooth and enjoyable process, met some really interesting people from different parts of the business. I found the communication prompt and clear steps, but not much feedback provided after the job offer

Interview Questions

• Competitors of IBM in their software business   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)).

Interview

Filled in the application form, proceeded to the IPAT, then a hirevue, afterwards invited to an assessment centre - had to prepare a 10 minute presentation on a given topic. On the assessment centre day the atmosphere was overall very friendly, relaxed and casual, perhaps a bit too informal. Started with two group exercises, taking roughly about 2 hours in total, then a 1 on 1 interview with an assessor and finally an aptitude test for an hour. A decision was given very promptly the next day, without any feedback whatsoever.

Consulting By Degrees (CbD) - Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

1. Video Interview
    I was fast-tracked to a pre-recorded HireVue interview. The interview consisted of three questions with an unlimited time to prepare (weird, right?). The questions focused on commercial awareness and your achievements. Nothing too taxing, and since you have unlimited time to prepare, use the internet for crying out loud!

2. Assessment Centre
    This consisted of: a) 2 group tasks: i) A logic task - sounds scary and trust me, I am useless at things like logical/abstract reasoning, so I had a mini panic attack on the day, but it was alright. Just work with what you've got and COMMUNICATE with your group. Be VIGILANT of the time and COLLABORATE. You don't have to dominate the task, you just need to have a presence. I offered to write things down, I made sure we were no schedule etc. ii) A business task - You are given a fictitious scenario, asked to prepare a business proposal and present it to potential investors. Follow the same guidance as stated above.

SOME reviews state that you are sent home if you fail the group tasks but that is not the case anymore (at least in London), EVERYBODY progressed onto the interview with a manager!

3. Interview with Manager
    Don't panic, they are not trying to catch you out. It's pretty chill, mine was very colloquial. We went through my CV, I was asked about IBM and their work. It's just a "chat" to get to know you and see whether you're the right fit for the company.

Now, you wait to find out whether you passed the assessment centre or not. I heard back the next day, much to my surprise because I thought I had flopped the group tasks. I was in the grocery store at the time, and when she called me to say I passed, I collapsed into the fresh fruit like thank you JESUS. You are then matched to a service line - which can take weeks/months in some cases but I was matched to a service line immediately.

4. HireVue interview with Hiring Manager
    Some interviews may be face-to-face, but mine was via HireVue. Once again, we went through my CV, talked about IBM and their current projects. Some technical questions regarding my specific service line and that was it. I really enjoyed this as I got to know more about IBM and what I would be doing on the program.

I was told during the interview that I would receive positive feedback - this was then forwarded onto the recruitment team, who consulted with the stakeholders about whether they should hire me or not.

5. IPAT (Information and Processing Aptitude Test)
    Since I was fast-tracked to an assessment centre, I did not complete the IPAT (and I was kind of hoping they'd forgotten about it!!). I'm not gonna lie, I was scared when I read up about it, check out some of the threads on REDDIT, they're quite funny. Psychometric testing is not my forte, the timing completely messes with me. Even if the question is like what is (2 +2) -1. Should be quick maths right? I'll be there with my calculator like, am I being stupid or is the answer simply 3? NO! It can be, it must be 2.99.. Preparation is ESSENTIAL. Utilise the materials that are on the internet. The test consists of two parts: i) Numerical Sequences and ii) Standard Numerical Reasoning Questions. There are 36 questions in total, 18 per section. You are given 2.15 minutes per question and each question it timed for you, which means you MUST submit an answer before the time runs out. Two questions timed out on me because I just sat there staring at my laptop thinking... I don't know the answer, and I'm far too dumbfounded to guess. I somehow managed to pass it though (PRAISE THE LORD).

6. Offer
    A week later, I was made an offer.

7. Conclusion
    A very swift process - from initial application to offer, was around 1 month. I LOVE how communicative HR was, I sent them messages and they responded immediately. I was constantly updated about the progress of my application. This is honestly one of the BEST processes I have been through in terms of efficiency and organisation. I am very grateful to have this opportunity to work for such a wonderful company, but I'm telling you, it isn't easy. The number of places that I have been rejected from before this, I nearly lost hope. However, I now believe that the right opportunity came because I was READY for it. Before, I was applying to firms whose work I didn't connect with or understand. As a student, it is very tempting to apply everywhere and anywhere because of the fear of unemployment, but I would advise you to take a step back and think carefully about what you enjoy.

Don’t impose restrictions on yourself, I used to think that I couldn’t work in a finance/business related role because of my science background and lack of related work experience, but as long as you show you are committed to the industry and willing to learn, you will be fine.

Good luck :)

Collections Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

My this job position in senior collection & Recoveries officer at janalakshmi financial services ltd. At present work at udaipur rajasthan location . Collections related over all experience in out of areas and field.

CBD Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Really friendly people the whole way though. I was fast tracked to the video interview after submitting my CV, completed that and was invited to the assessment centre the following week. Had a good experience there - very relaxed people helping us all through the process. We had two group tasks to complete and a personal one on one interview which was more like a chat through my CV and how it relates to the company. We also had time to ask current people in the CbD programme how they were finding it. I was lucky I think because we worked great as a group.

I am now through to the next stage of the process, a skype interview with line managers.

Interview Questions

• What industries within IBM do you see yourself most aligned to?   Answer Question

Strategic Analytics Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Group exercises and redo the maths test during the day. Written exercise and then if you get through, two more interviews. Two points of rejection you could get sent home.