IBM Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

3.2

Associate Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied for the role online. 5 (yes five) weeks later I received an email (clearly based on a corporate template) from "sandy" saying they would like to arrange a HireView interview. They gave me a single time slot giving 3 days notice. Unfortunately, I had an unavoidable business meeting at the same time so I emailed back asking for alternative times. The next day I received an automated email saying they no longer wished to pursue my application. They did me a favour - by showing me their true colours they saved me wasting any more of my time on them and/ or making a major career error.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I passed the online test with contains math questions. Each was taken 2 minutes. I have them taken a phone interview includes questions about my abilities, CV and the company itself. Then, they told me to attend an assessment in Leicester in May which involves group exercises and other activities. My overall experience was good and the interview was easy in overall.

Interview Questions

• About what I know about the company and why I did applied   Answer Question

Graduate Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied by filling out a simple application form - no CVs or cover letters. I heard back around a week later inviting me to an assessment centre in London in about 10 days time.

There were 12 of us there, split into two groups. I was in a group of 5 for some reason. We did two exercises - the first consisted of pitching an idea for an app to assessors, with time for brainstorming and preparation before a 10 minute presentation. The second exercise asked us to solve a maths problem as a group. The maths problem was very difficult, we didn't complete it in time.

Afterwards, we were asked to wait for roughly 45 minutes before they came in and announced the successful candidates. Only 2 of the 13 progressed, I was not one of them.

It can feel quite brutal, but the assessors are all reasonably friendly and it's not really all that stressful. I followed all the advice I read online - offering to write and keep time, taking the lead etc and was still unsuccessful despite what I thought was a good performance. So I think going in you need to accept that mathematically your odds of being accepted are very low. Honestly just be yourself and try to contribute, help the group and lead the discussion if you can. What I will say though is don't try and dominate the conversation - we had another unsuccessful candidate who tried to do that and I definitely got the vibe that the assessors weren't impressed.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I firstly applied filling a very long form with all sort of standard questions mainly to state experience background and motivation. After about 2 weeks I was sent a link for a an online assessment with usual tests, the math and logic type if quiz. It took about 2 hours. Aftera about a month I was invited to London for a further assegment.

Interview Questions

• Usual socio questions. Weakness, strengths. How did you deal with difficult situations. How do you deal when you disagree with someone as so on.   Answer Question

Finance Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied in December with an online application and an IPAT test, which I passed. Given date of assessment centre at the end of March.

The assessment centre was made up of 4 parts: a pre-prepared presentation, and interview and two group exercises. The prepared presentation was made up of a elevator pitch, questions like 'tell us about a time when when you had an original idea/worked in a team". The interview continued on from the presentation (a few, short questions were asked during it), where we were asked a few questions about examples of communication or teamwork.

The group presentation task: You are put into a room with a few other candidates, and 3 assessors who are watching you throughout the whole task. We were given a list of technological inventions and had to raet which contributed the most to the industry.

The group logic task: Again put into a room with other candidates and had to solve a puzzle using the information like "Amy is in the room beside George, ben is not in the same room as Amy" etc. We were given different sheets of information which we had to communicate with the others to solve the puzzle.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is an example of a time you worked effectively in a team?   Answer Question
    • Q: Give us an example when you communicated effectively?   Answer Question

Mainframe Operations Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Interview was really quick and the lady was really nice. I got this opportunity when they went to my college to talk about the company.
    I had an English test and a few weeks laster they contacted me to arrange the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe your personal routine.
      What do you like to do when you are free?
      Why would you like to work for this company?
      Answer Question

Technology Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Winchester, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

First an online IPAT test, then they review your cv again before an offer to attend an assessment center. The assessment center was quite relaxed. Included a pre prepared presentation section and 2 group exercises. One logic and one communication. after those you were free to leave and heard back in about a week.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you demonstrated your creativity   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I sent off my CV and detailed IBM-specific application form, and subsequently completed the IPAC test. I was then invited to an assessment centre at IBM Hursley. The assessment centre was composed of several group exercises, two solo interviews, a short presentation, and a programming aptitude test (similar to an IQ test, no previous programming experience required).

I was told I passed the assessment centre next day, and that while this was not an offer of employment, or even a guarantee that IBM would like to continue with my application (this was made clear at the assessment day, should we pass it), that I was now in a pool of potential candidates. However, two months after the assessment centre (with no communication since) I was told that there were no positions available at this time, and that my application would not be considered any further. A very long waiting process for a very unsatisfactory result.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you've come up with a solution and persuaded others to use it.   Answer Question

Research Staff Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I went to the place for an interview day and to give a seminar. The interviews where ok, without much technical questions. Then I had phone interviews with the managements for few weeks, again a bit going through the CV. They didn't give me feedback at the end of the process.

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

IBM works with a few stages you have to pass in order to be offered a position at the company:

1) Online application with IBM's specific form you have to fill in with some specific 'interview style' questions you have to fill in (e.g. Describe a time you displayed excellent client focus in less than 80 words)

2) You may then be invited to take the IPAT test. There were two parts to this with the first being number sequence problems and the second part was a numerical competancy type of assessment. This test was quite challenging, less because of the level of the questions but more due to the time constraints - you are given 1 min 45 sec to answer each question (if I recall correctly) so you only have one chance to get the answer right, especially with the numerical section, and then you may be forced to simply guess.

3) If you pass the IPAT test you will then be invited to one of IBM's assessment centres (IBM will cover all reasonable travel expenses of up to 150 pounds). The assessment centre day is broken up into two parts: the first consists of two group activities (4-5 people) aimed at assessing you drive, teamwork, leadership, problem sovling, client focus, etc. The one was attempting to solve a problem with limited information and the other involved the development of a business idea and a short presentation of this idea. If you are successful with the first half of the day, you will then be invited to partake in personal and competancy interviews.

4) There will then be a final interview. Once you are at this stage you are almost guaranteed a position as this interview is mainly aimed at finding where you might specifically fit within the company based on your competancies, interests, goals etc.

Interview Questions

• Standard personal and competancy interview style questions.

Be sure to prep some examples to draw on before-hand and remember the general rule when answering any comptancy type questions, which is CAR (Context; Action; Result). It is also a good idea to prep examples that demonstrate compentancies that IBM looks for (Drive and leadership;Team work; Problem solving; Adaptability/Flexibility; Client focus; Communication skills)
      Answer Question