IBM Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

IBM Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.2

310 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

A few calls and interviews in total, very structured and systematic and questions were open-ended which allowed me to share my thoughts and explain why i am applying. Some technical questions and around project management

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I passed the online test with contains math questions. Each was taken 2 minutes. I have them taken a phone interview includes questions about my abilities, CV and the company itself. Then, they told me to attend an assessment in Leicester in May which involves group exercises and other activities. My overall experience was good and the interview was easy in overall.

Interview Questions

• About what I know about the company and why I did applied   Answer Question

Associate Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied for the role online. 5 (yes five) weeks later I received an email (clearly based on a corporate template) from "sandy" saying they would like to arrange a HireView interview. They gave me a single time slot giving 3 days notice. Unfortunately, I had an unavoidable business meeting at the same time so I emailed back asking for alternative times. The next day I received an automated email saying they no longer wished to pursue my application. They did me a favour - by showing me their true colours they saved me wasting any more of my time on them and/ or making a major career error.

Graduate Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied by filling out a simple application form - no CVs or cover letters. I heard back around a week later inviting me to an assessment centre in London in about 10 days time.

There were 12 of us there, split into two groups. I was in a group of 5 for some reason. We did two exercises - the first consisted of pitching an idea for an app to assessors, with time for brainstorming and preparation before a 10 minute presentation. The second exercise asked us to solve a maths problem as a group. The maths problem was very difficult, we didn't complete it in time.

Afterwards, we were asked to wait for roughly 45 minutes before they came in and announced the successful candidates. Only 2 of the 13 progressed, I was not one of them.

It can feel quite brutal, but the assessors are all reasonably friendly and it's not really all that stressful. I followed all the advice I read online - offering to write and keep time, taking the lead etc and was still unsuccessful despite what I thought was a good performance. So I think going in you need to accept that mathematically your odds of being accepted are very low. Honestly just be yourself and try to contribute, help the group and lead the discussion if you can. What I will say though is don't try and dominate the conversation - we had another unsuccessful candidate who tried to do that and I definitely got the vibe that the assessors weren't impressed.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I've done the assessment day at IBM Hursley. It composed of a test, 3 group exercises, 1 presentation and 2 interviews. I usually get very nervous at interviews, but the interviews were very casual overall, and the interviewers made me feel comfortable enough to talk about myself without any problem.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me more about the programming projects you've done at university?   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I firstly applied filling a very long form with all sort of standard questions mainly to state experience background and motivation. After about 2 weeks I was sent a link for a an online assessment with usual tests, the math and logic type if quiz. It took about 2 hours. Aftera about a month I was invited to London for a further assegment.

Interview Questions

• Usual socio questions. Weakness, strengths. How did you deal with difficult situations. How do you deal when you disagree with someone as so on.   Answer Question

Finance Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied in December with an online application and an IPAT test, which I passed. Given date of assessment centre at the end of March.

The assessment centre was made up of 4 parts: a pre-prepared presentation, and interview and two group exercises. The prepared presentation was made up of a elevator pitch, questions like 'tell us about a time when when you had an original idea/worked in a team". The interview continued on from the presentation (a few, short questions were asked during it), where we were asked a few questions about examples of communication or teamwork.

The group presentation task: You are put into a room with a few other candidates, and 3 assessors who are watching you throughout the whole task. We were given a list of technological inventions and had to raet which contributed the most to the industry.

The group logic task: Again put into a room with other candidates and had to solve a puzzle using the information like "Amy is in the room beside George, ben is not in the same room as Amy" etc. We were given different sheets of information which we had to communicate with the others to solve the puzzle.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is an example of a time you worked effectively in a team?   Answer Question
    • Q: Give us an example when you communicated effectively?   Answer Question

Graduate Programme Technology Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Comprehensive procedure: online application and interview (i.e. questions to fill in with 75-150 word answers), IPAT competency tests. There's two tests and they comprise numerical series and general algebra and calculus questions.
    Assessment day invitation with a full day of team tasks and interviews: team tasks in the morning in team of 4, and a series of interviews with both recruiting managers for the Grad Programme and managers from departments that were interested in my skills.

Interview Questions

• What's the share price of IBM and why do you think it's that high?   Answer Question

GBS Graduate Consultant Interview

Application

Interview

Was invited straight to the assessment centre through a Graduate recruitment service. The assessment centre was three parts. First was a group logical reasoning activity which was quite challenging particularly if you are working with characters who love to really have their say. Second was a group presentation where we had to design and pitch an idea to some investors. I looked at the graduate criteria a lot before the assessment centre and so I knew they were looking for confidence as well being someone who can listen and direct the conversation. If you passed this stage you got through to the one to one interview which featured general questions about me, what ibm does and why you want to work there. I really enjoyed the assessment centre despite the stress.

Normally there is a numerical reasoning test done on the same day but as we were recruited differently I sat mine after I passed the assessment centre. The test was HARD featuring some of the most difficult maths I have seen in a long time (especially because I did not take maths at a level). There are loads of practice questions that you can follow online though. Somehow I passed that and was invited for the final interview.

I thought my final interview went really well. I have included some questions that I can remember having below. However, at this point the whole process became an utter mess.

I was told that I would hear back in two weeks. Two weeks passed where I was then informed that I would need to interview again for a different department. I was then told that my interview was cancelled the day before it was meant to take place and was given no reason why for this. I was told they would message me again to reschedule another.

Out of the blue, I was called by a hiring manager on the day of the cancelled interview as it had not been relayed to him that my interview had been cancelled at all! Without any preparation I did the interview over the phone. The interviewer told me that I had passed all the previous stages and liked the sound of me for his department but he could not clarify why my interview had been cancelled or where I was in the process. I was told I would hear back again within two weeks.

10 days passed, I requested further clarification on the status of my application. Without an apology I was told nothing beyond that my interview was cancelled and they were still reviewing other candidates and trying to allocate people to roles. At this point I knew it was likely that I had been unsuccessful but I hoped that IBM would inform me of this quickly.

5 weeks had passed since my impromptu phone interview by the time I received the phone call from IBM saying that I had been unsuccessful. I was disappointed as I enjoyed the interview process and the scheme seems like a rigorous but genuinely excellent programme especially when compared to similar schemes from other firms. Nonetheless, I had no idea that a company as big as this could be so unprofessional and shoddy with their recruitment practice. Despite being told that I had passed all of the required steps I was still unsuccessful.

If you are a graduate please do still apply for this role and do your best. Do keep in mind however that this is a huge company that likely does not really care. A negative experience if ONLY for how I was treated after the recruitment process had finished.

Interview Questions

• How would you rate your technical experience on a scale of 1-?   Answer Question
    • How are you with talking to large crowds of people?   Answer Question
    • What do you understand of IBM and how this role fits into IBM's strategic focus?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Interview was really quick and the lady was really nice. I got this opportunity when they went to my college to talk about the company.
    I had an English test and a few weeks laster they contacted me to arrange the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe your personal routine.
      What do you like to do when you are free?
      Why would you like to work for this company?   Answer Question