IBM Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.9

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process happened on campus at school. T h ere were 3 rounds of interviews back to back after a phone call. Like any campus interviews. I had to make sure that I was prepared since I had not done a case study before. There was a techincal, a case study and a resume review. All these happened after a phone call.

Technology/Cyber Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

The interviewer unfamiliar with cyber and cyberspace operations. The interview consisted of interviewing with two team member individual in close proximity. It was loud due to close arrangments. The interviewers were very nice but lacked a scope of knowledge on cybersecurity.

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a very straightforward interview. Two behavioral interviews and one case study. As mentioned elsewhere the case study was regarding a pizza parlor with declining profits. Despite the issue being increasing costs, the interviewer wanted to know how I would raise revenues as well as how I would lower costs.

The questions asked during the behavioral interviews were all questions mentioned in other reviews. "Tell me about a time when a team member was struggling and you had a due date you had to meet." "Tell me about your biggest accomplishment." "Why aren't you returning to your previous place you interned." Point being they were all very straightforward questions.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when a team member was struggling and you had a due date you had to meet."   Answer Question
    • "Tell me about your biggest accomplishment"   Answer Question
    • "If you had to meet a client tomorrow and you're on a new team and you don't know the project nor know the company you're working with... How would you approach this situation to hit the ground running?"   Answer Question

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

One round of interviews. The candidate rotated around to three different rooms, each with another interviewer. One case study, Two behavioral interviews. Each lasting 30 minutes. The case study was prepared in written form and the candidate was able to hold the scenario and see the questions laid out in front. The importance was in seeing how you approach each question.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to learn a new skill and teach it to someone else   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

Fairly straightforward interview process. I attended an informational event by IBM in January and received an email from a recruiter asking for an interview a couple of weeks later for a position I hadn't even applied for. The interview was probably more difficult for me than it was for others because i'm not a typical business major, so the case interview was a little challenging for me. Behavioral interview questions come word for word from glassdoor so if you've checked here then you should be fine. Other's have said show enthusiasm for IBM but no one asked me anything about IBM or why I was even interested in consulting. I think overall they look for someone who is positive, easy to talk to, willing to learn and a team player.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had to convince someone of something   Answer Question
    • Talk to me about a time when you had to teach someone something and it wasn't working   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation where a group member was struggling?   Answer Question
    • Case study was about profit/loss for two pizza places. Your pizza place has has stagnant profits and they want to know why the competitors pizza place is gaining profit. You need to dig deeper and figure out that they are obviously paying too much for raw materials and that they have more employees than necessary whereas there competitor has invested in a technology that has increased their efficiency while lessening their labor costs. Then you need to figure out how to mitigate short term and long term costs (hint: they want it to involve technology) All in all fairly simple for a business student but I'm not one so I had to think a little outside the box for my solutions.   Answer Question

Entry Level Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was not too bad, but it was very long. It's done online and you are recorded the whole time, even when coding during the technical interview. The last question was the hardest; it was a 90 minute coding test and you can choose either ruby, python, or js. I still haven't heard back but its only been a couple weeks. Planning to follow up today.

Associate Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC).

Interview

Very complete, holistic process. Multiple levels of conversation. Skills, accomplishments and leadership are all important. The interview was an in person discussion in the IBM office with two Vice Presidents, two Partners and two Associate Partners. Overall it was a fairly difficult interview, but very fair. Good thoughtful questions. No case studies were included, but case like questions of past experiences we inlcuded.

Managing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC).

Interview

Knew hiring manager from previous firm. Offered position prior to speaking with corporate recruiter, who actually was more of hindrance than an asset for the process. I was an experienced hire and was hired some time ago so my experiences are likely not the norm. IBM is currently focused on hiring resources directly out of college with little if any real work experience. Also, hiring outside of traditional STEM disciplines. I've recently seen a recent graduate in "graphics" get a job in Global Business Services - don't know what the think was there...

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

There is only one round for the CbD program if you apply through your university. There are 3 30 minute interviews in a row - 2 behavioral and 1 case.

The case is more about what types of considerations you must take into account, rather than driving towards a solid answer. There is some math involved, but only basic multiplications.

The behavioral interviews were very conversational - nothing out of the ordinary. Each interviewer has a list of questions they must ask you, but often they will follow up based on your answer.

I got a call exactly a week after with the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you managed a team?
      Have you ever lived abroad?
      Why consulting? Why IBM?
      Answer Question

N/A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process has change considerably from the time I interview to now so I don't have a good idea on how they interview now. It was over 17 years ago since I interviewed with IBM. I would suspect you are interviewed with the hiring manager and maybe a team lead, along with an executive manager, depending on the position.