IBT Media Reporter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

IBT Media Reporter Interview Questions

Interviews at IBT Media

2.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

What should have been a red flag, editors said they usually didn't hire anyone from out of state. Rather, they usually hired in New York, specifically from colleges in the area. They didn't appreciate experience. I interviewed with two editors over Skype after one phone call. They didn't tell me a whole ton about the job, and lied several times. They said there was a lot of opportunity for traveling, which was not true. When they offered me the job, they finally told me about the pay model, which is based on clicks. They offered a base salary then nearly half of the salary was on clicks. The editor promised it was "super easy" to hit traffic goals and I was "easily" double my salary. This was completely wrong. Almost the entire staff had problems with reaching these goals. My salary was much too dependent on clicks and it really hurt the content that staffers produced.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about some of the stories you've covered?   1 Answer
  • How would you handle this story in a breaking news situation? - It was about President Trump's call to end trans people from being in the military.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IBT Media

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY).

Interview

Just questions and answers. No request for clips. And no test of editorial competence, English and grammar, general knowledge of business or politics. Poor follow-up. Very odd experience because most media organizattions require some kind of qualifying test before hiring. Seemed to be very little concern for skills.

Negotiation

Some give and take on salary but very little room.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBT Media (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied and heard nothing for 6 weeks. By the time I heard back, I was already far along in the interview process at two other places. I disclosed that, and the interview process went pretty quickly. It was excessively time intensive, with multiple tests. The organization is clearly highly focused on quantity over quality and doesn't seem like a great place to work. I did not accept.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBT Media.

Interview

Went quickly. Applied through a reference. One in-person interview, got an offer a week later. Questions were simple. Whole process probably took 20 minutes. Had to do a simple exercise, write a basic news story. Just ~200 words, breaking news. Interviewed with senior editors. Offer came from HR, who got my agreed-to salary wrong on the first pass.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IBT Media (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2018.

Interview

It is nothing but a lot of unwanted questions, where the senior editor tries to make you look stupid with foolish questions. Too much of drama while conducting the interview.