IBT Media Video News Editor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at IBT Media

Video News Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBT Media.

Interview

I was invited for a Skype interview - they seemed quite disorganised and rang me an hour earlier than arranged but I went ahead with it anyway. I spoke with an Executive Producer who was quite friendly, his mind seemed a bit elsewhere at times but the interview went by smoothly. My previous experience was pretty relevant (I had a very similar role for another news organisation) and I had alot of pitches, technical skills, management experience, and ideas for how they could improve their content.
The more I researched the company, the more apparent it became that Newsweek was merely IBT rebranded. Without saying this so directly, I knew I had alot of offer as frankly speaking their videos are riddled with grammatical and factual errors, have a very low view count, and are clumsily edited with naff graphics and oddly positioned text.
Anyway, I got offered a second 'cultural' interview with the Legal Counsel of all people. Fifteen minutes before the interview they said that they would ring in half an hour, then an hour, then it was postponed. Eventually it was rearranged the following week.
During this conference call it became clear that this is not an appealing organisation to work for. The interviewer used interrogative tactics to find out why I left my previous job and seemed obsessed with the company I used to work for and their internal structure (trying to quiz me on as many details possible), rather than focusing on my skills and experience. She would not let the topic of conversation veer into other experiences that I had with other news agencies. She did not seem to have a clue about current world affairs or politics and her questions took on a rather rambling and abstract form concerning the comparison of management structures in small/large and new/established companies. I was able to answer these questions with ease as I'm used to this business jargon. However, she did not seem to know much about the structure of things herself, particularly regarding the newsroom and how it is run. When I asked her approximately how many people worked on the editorial desk or their intake/output management system, she could not answer. Anyway, she was waffling on about abstract concepts that she couldn't seem to apply to Newsweek for around an hour when I had to cut the interview short as I realised that it wasn't the place for me. I don't know if I caught this interviewer on a bad day, but if this is how she hires people I found it very ineffective and ultimately off-putting.
The company seems chaotic, disorganised, focused on a business-minded attitude towards news and intent on hiring people with MBAs rather than actual practical newsroom experience which to me, explains the shoddy quality of their content.

Interview Questions

• Compare management structures between larger/smaller/established/less established companies, what are the pros and cons, what is the most effective.   Answer Question