ICF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.6

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied on company site. Position descriptions may seem misleading (eg. senior consultant really a VP title). But, ICF seems willing to fit qualified candidates in the appropriate role. Interview process was handled professionally and relatively quickly. Interviews were not challenging and were conversational. 2Hr skills test includes excel, case study and writing. Writing test basic and excel exam should be easy -- but must be proficient. Industry-specific familiarity is helpful on the case study. Surprised by writing test -- was so simple it made me question the competence of ICF applicants. Sends a bad signal that this particular written test is even necessary. Be warned: do not give too much credence to comments hiring managers make in interview -- the offer may take a different direction from what is discussed. People are knowledgeable in very narrow specialties but limited overall business / financial application so positions would not put an MBA to extensive use. Perhaps explains why base salary at least 15% below top-tier MBA base compensation. Including all comp, pay is inferior. Negotiation is possible but limited. No stock options granted but other similar firms do offer for equivalent and even lower levels. Also, ICF persistent low profit margins suggestive of below market pay and little negotiation oppty. Check salary info on glassdoor and be comfortable with those #s (consider the ranges, not just the avg.) before committing time and effort to pursuing opportunities at ICF.

Interview Questions

• Fit / Behavioral mostly. Why ICF? Why aviation? What is the future for the industry? Working style? How does prior experience work with X position?   Answer Question

Content Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ICF.

Interview

I heard back from a recruiter very quickly after applying and had a brief phone interview with them, and then very quickly was contacted a 2nd recruiter to have a follow-up phone interview with the team manager. Then about 2 weeks following that interview, I was contacted by a 3rd ( and different recruiter) to provide 3 options for a 2 hour time slot. I left a voicemail to that recruiter with options. Then I was contact a week later by a 4th (once again different) setting a time that was not a part of my availability; however, I accepted that time and worked around my schedule. The 4th recruiter informed me that once I confirmed the interview, they would forward me the interview schedule and other information. Five days later at 4pm, the day before the interview, I still had not heard anything from the recruiter. At that point, I just cancelled the interview.

It was a very frustrating process and it seemed very disorganized. I believe I would have enjoyed working for the organization but based on the interview process, I was very disappointed. I was shuffled between 4 different recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your history and where you see yourself in the future?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Was contacted via email by one of ICF's recruiters a week or so after applying online. She acted as the primary point of contact throughout, arranging a set of three interviews with my potential supervisor and coworkers. For the first interview, it was in-person with my potential supervisor in a conference room at their offices. The supervisor was very friendly and nice, and the interview was conversational and relaxed. The second and third interviews were via telephone, one with a remote coworker and the other with the department VP. Both phone interviewers were very nice and helpful, and lasted about 30mins each. I then received a followup offer from the recruiter a few days after the third interview. The overall experience was very positive, professional and transparent.

Interview Questions

• Q: What are your career goals?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you resolved a challenge for a client.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

I was recruited at a professional conference by a leader in the group I was eventually hired into. I was asked to come in person for half a day for four individual interviews with group leaders including Sr. VP. The overall process from meeting the person who recruited me, to coming in for interviews, to being offered the job was extended for various reasons including the christmas holidays and also personal travel and other factors. Overall, it lasted Dec - through February.

Interview Questions

• Describe an example of a difficult or challenging workplace situation that you were faced with and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered a salary by the HR recruiter assigned to me. I counter offered much higher but ended up accepting a salary that was only about $4K more than the original offer. First time out of school negotiating, so was a bit unsure about going rates.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ICF.

Interview

I was contacted by the Recruiter after I met her in a career fair. I applied online, and within one week I had a telephonic interview. Within 2 weeks I was called for the onsite interview. There was a writing assignment as well.
    They got back to me after 4 weeks with the results of the interview.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

I was contacted by email about a week after applying to set up a phone interview. I then was invited for an in-person interview in Fairfax. Everyone at the interview session was very friendly.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

After an initial phone screening with the hiring manager I was invited for an onsite interview. I met with 5 members of the team for 30 minutes each. This was followed by a 45 minute writing assessment. This is an intimidating process on its surface, but the interviews were not very difficult or challenging. I ultimately did not get the position, but this was probably for the best, as I don't think I was a good fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• Why ICF?
      Why are you leaving your current position?
      How do you approach a research project?
      Answer Question

Public Health Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ICF (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was scheduled via email with a corresponded in DC. It was 2 different interviews with different staff and they interviewed via phone. It only last 30mins each and it was more about getting to know the candidate and experiences. The interviewer called you by phone and began the process of getting to know the candidate. Both interviewers were really friendly and not intimidating.

Interview Questions

• How did you get interested in Public Health
      What qualitative or qualitative skills do you have
      What experiences do you have with data extraction
      What is the level of interest you have in global health
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was. I would advice that you state exactly why you want a higher range. Don't be afraid to be direct and honest but be tactful. It's is a great opportunity and its one of the higher paying internships.

IT Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Very long and time consuming. Interviewed with 9 different members of the team. Never provided final feedback or status. Position was recently re-posted on Indeed. I got the feeling the company has a serious lack of communication. Given the roll its not a surprise a typical positions takes 40 business days to close. Overall the team was nice but disappointed with process and lack of communication.

Interview Questions

• How can we waste your time today?
      Are you available for 4 phone interviews and 5 in-person interviews with no feedback after?
      1 Answer

Project Coordinator/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ICF (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

First, I was contacted for a phone interview. From there, I was invited in for a second in-person interview with my supervisor, as well as 2 additional team members/account managers I would be working with. Overall, the interview process was smooth and painless. I even had a family vacation already planned and they worked seamlessly with my schedule for the interview. Within a few days they offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question