ICF Oil and Gas Markets Analyst Position Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1.0

Oil and Gas Markets Analyst Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2013.

Interview

I found a position on the job board at my school and contacted an alum to get an idea of what it was like to work there. I filled out an online application and the alumni got me the in-person interview. The screening and interview process was sloppy and gave me a negative impression of the company.

HR rescheduled my interview at the last minute three times. When I couldn't come in on a specific date and time on the third rescheduling, they hinted that my interview might not happen if I didn't take the time slot. When I said "fine, I'm sorry we couldn't work it out", they rescheduled.

The interview process took a whole day, and I attended six interviews slotted at 40 minutes each: one with HR and five casual interviews with team members. The HR interview started 30 minutes late, the lunch interview was moved from 1:00pm to 11:00am to accommodate a conference call, and the interview with the team leader started 20 minutes late (leaving only 20 minutes to talk). One interviewer apologized for not having time to prepare questions and asked that I come up with questions to ask myself.

As the day wore on, it became obvious that each interviewer was texting the others to discuss my progress. The second to last interview was a 40 minute discussion about how much I was going to like it there, what projects I would be assigned to, and that I would fit right in.

I spent 35 of the 40 minutes of my final interview politely sitting in the office of the guy who would have been my direct supervisor while he took a business call. The last 5 minutes were spent letting me know that I had the job, but they were not willing to meet my minimum asking salary because several people who had been working there for 5+ years weren't making that much. He told me then and there that the final offer was $65k, which happens to be the exact amount I made straight out of undergrad. They were highly presumptuous that I would accept the position and gave off the vibe that they knew I was desperate because I was a recent graduate (MA).

When I said I required the minimum stated salary to accept the job, we decided not to proceed on the spot. I thought it was odd that no one asked whether I was considering other offers, which I was. If they had told me the salary up front I would not have considered an interview.

At the time I felt really torn, because the job description sounded extremely cool and money didn't seem that important. In retrospect, I definitely dodged a bullet. Their senior analysts have been working there for 5+ years, presumably upwards of 75 hours per week, and make less than $75k per year in DC. All of 7-8 team members were at least 45 years old. Consultants in the oil and gas industry with 20 years of work experience should be making more than $45k take-home pay. Something didn't seem right about the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral interview. All questions asked me to elaborate on some aspect of my resume. A couple people really dug into the technical parts of my resume, but they seemed to be checking on whether my resume was accurate more than my current technical abilities. I had a lot of volunteer work on my resume and they only asked me about what looked like fluff to them. Again, they seemed to be checking on how much my resume was embellished. They also asked about places I've traveled, if I play sports, last book I read, etc. The guy who didn't prepare questions asked me what animal describes me best and why. That one was by far the hardest.   1 Answer

Didn't get a good impression of the company during interview. Salary was about 40% lower than the industry norm and I was still interviewing with other firms.