ICF Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ICF Research Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at ICF

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ICF (Rockville, MD).

Interview

I was contacted by HR via phone and was asked a couple of basic questions about my skills. We then scheduled an interview a few days later.
During the interview I met with the hiring manager, who was very pleasant. She asked a few general questions about my experience, and took some time to explain the position a little bit. Then she asked some standard cookie cutter questions, "Explain a time where you overcame adversity." "Explain a time where you had to work in a group."
After that, I met with a couple of younger employees who asked similar questions about my background experience. Again, pleasant for the most part.
Next, I met with two other managers who simultaneously interviewed. Questions about my experiences were asked again, followed by more cookie cutter interview questions, "Do you prefer working in a group or working individually?" ect. These interviewers were also considerate and were very engaging.
Towards the end of these interviews, the hiring manager popped in to inform me that I was the first to be interviewed and that I should hear back from them in a couple of weeks.
I thanked them and left, sending thank you letters that day.
Two weeks later after hearing nothing, I called. The hiring manager informed me that they were still interviewing and that HR should contact me soon. That was over five weeks ago. Nobody ever contacted me.
What I did not tell them was that four days after my interview, I noticed that a LinkedIn member updated their job title as a Research Assistant on the ICF page on the same day that I had interviewed. There had only been one RA position open for the last few months. My best guess is that they hired another candidate that day on the spot. Not only did they fail to notify that the job was filled, they lied to me when I asked about it.

I understand not being selected for the position, it happens. What I don't appreciate, however, was how the company chose to handle the post interview process.

I hope that anybody interviewing for the company has a better experience than I did.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were standard questions found on "job interview help" websites.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ICF

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in February 2010.

Interview

I was preselected to interview one-on-one with ICF. We discussed my background, interest in consulting, and fit with ICF in particular. If selected for a second round interview, I will travel to DC to do so in person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

I recently graduated from college so my first step (after simply submitting an online application; I was applying to an energy efficiency position) was contacting one or two people I knew who worked in the company in addition to a few associates that were alumni of my school in hopes of getting to know people in the company and receiving any other helpful information that could help my resume along.

One of the alumni got back to me and was eager to help along a fellow graduate. She asked for my resume and some additional information and within two weeks I had a phone interview with another associate from the company. The phone interview was fairly informal, mostly asking about a few things on y resume and behavioral questions like, "when was a time you failed at something and what did you get out of it?". The interview could have very easily ended in less than 15 minutes but I tried to keep it conversational and make sure to have additional questions to ask the interviewer after she was done with her questions. The whole interview lasted around 25-30 minutes. The next morning I received a phone call from their HR to schedule an in-person interview which would take place the following week.

The in-person interview consisted of 5 separate 30 minute interview, each with another associate/manager in the department that the position was in. It started out with a recent hire and worked its way up to a manager for the final 30 minutes. They said usually the recent hire was last to field final questions but it was kind of nice this way because each interview was kind of a warm-up for the next interview to come and by the time I got to the manager I felt very comfortable and confident, having already gone over many of the points with other interviewers.

I actually have yet to hear a final decision (It has been about a month) but that could be partly because their office has been swamped and things take awhile. They said they would notify me whether I got the job or not by the end of this week.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you failed? How did your react? What did you learn from the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

I applied to this job via my university and interviewed at a conference center in Arlington with about 25 other applicants. The interview was straight-forward, 1st rounder type questions (basically a phone interview, in person). Post interview process was disorganized, however. Everyone who interviewed for the position that day received a mass email about 3 weeks later, thanking us for our time and stating that they did not yet know what their specific hiring needs were. I never heard anything else. I found the post interview process to be rather disrespectful, consistent with other reviews of the company I've read on Glass Door.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in December 2011.

Interview

About three weeks after sending in an application with a recommendation from an internal employee, I was offered a phone interview. The interview was mainly informational, mostly about the company and the position I was applying for. The interviewer was very nice and gave a very detailed descriptions of ICF's work and the roles of RAs in the company. They said it would take some time to hear back about whether I would go onto the the next step, which was an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you needed to get your team on board with an idea, and how did you go about doing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume online through a DC career website. The position required a lot of quantitative analysis so the questions revolved around my quantitative abilities. I enjoyed talking to my interviewer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter asking for writing samples. I had a phone interview about 10 days later and then an in-person interview 10 days after that. The in-person interview consisted of 5 separate one-on-one interviews and an assessment. The questions asked were relatively generic questions and everyone was very friendly.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was contact by a recruiter who wanted to talk about an analyst position, rather than the research assistant position I had applied for, due to my experience. Had one phone call and one round of interviews. Overall it was not an overwhelming experience, just be prepared to give half your day to interviewing.

Interview Questions

• The first interview was more of a conversation, rather than the stereotypical interview questions. The other two interviews were more behavioral questions i.e. describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult client and how did you handle the situation, why do you want to work at ICF, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ICF (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online through the portal, but I had met (and I know) people that already work for the company so I was allowed to use them as referrals. I was contacted a couple of days for a phone interview and then within a couple of days for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was very casual, and everyone was incredibly nice and welcome. I learned more about the position and the company, and received an offer the next day.

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

over the phone, very open communication kept me informed. They kept in touch with me the whole time through the process. They only look at employee referrals because they are such a large company that receives so many emails a day. But everyone was super helpful when I inquired about where I was in the process. I got an interview with a VP and then got to talk to the team I would be working with over the phone a few weeks later. My contract that I was hired onto was different though, like it's been going on for a while (8 yrs) and they weren't looking for people with very specific skills