ICF Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.7

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Inconvenient and a waste of time. I mentioned a day during the week when I was off, but they wanted another day. My impression is that they do not consider your time at all. I had Friday off and they said it would need to be a Wednesday or Thursday because the interview would take approximately 2.5 hours. I told them: fine, please just as late as possible on one of those days. They chose Thursday at 1 pm (middle of day). I had to take off another day just to go. Fine. I lost another day's pay just to meet with them. They mentioned the job was 30 hrs per week, salary approx 85,000 a year and I could work from home. All of that fit with my other projects happening. During the interview, I met with people that were pleasant and easy going. After the interview, the HR rep, told me they closed out the job and didn't know what they wanted. They also were going to shift people around internally to fill different roles. Basically, I heard a lot of reasons why I shouldn't have even gone there because they still needed to figure out what was going on internally. Big waste of time. This was actually the 2nd interview. For the first interview, it was with other HR reps at columbia, md branch. After the first round of interview (meeting approximately 5 people each time), they took 3 weeks to get back to me . They stated: I am sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch. I wanted to let you know that the team really enjoyed meeting with you, but I have closed the position. An internal candidate coming off contract has stepped into the position. I am sorry the timing did not work out. I will hold on to your resume for future openings. Thanks,

Both of these interviews were a waste of time. It sounded like they really wanted you, but then they closed the position not even for an outside candidate. They wasted my time, costed me money, and were inconvenient with timing for second interview. I can only imagine how it is once you work with them. They seem flaky, indirect, indecisive, and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• If you could go back in time, who would you like to meet? What era would be your favorite? What is your future goals? Where do you see yourself in the future? Why do you want to work for ICF? What is your experience with Air Quality? Are you familiar with our current program with respect to this position?   Answer Question

Contracts Assistant Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview process began with a phone interview from a recruiter, followed by an in-person interview at their Fairfax office.The recruiter interview consisted more of her telling me what the position entailed rather than asking if I would be a good fit. The in-person interview started with a phone interview with someone who would have been my direct supervisor, who was located in Florida. It was slightly informal and again, was mostly telling me what the position would be about. That same day, I met with an individual who I wouldn't have had that much interaction with. This was a very informal conversation and he asked what I wanted to know about the company and if I had any questions. It was a very disorganized process from the beginning and at no time did I feel like I was actually being interviewed.

Contracts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Interview process consisted of an initial phone interview with a recruiter, followed by an in-person interview at their Fairfax office. Phone interview with recruiter went fine, but everything after soured my impression of this company. I had to play a game of phone tag in order to reach the second recruiter who was to set up the in-person interview. This was an effort that spanned over the course of a week or more as the recruiter was not very easy to get ahold of. I was not given an email to contact her, only a phone number, which was inconvenient. Nonetheless, I remained patient as she worked to align all individuals' schedules. After finally securing an interview in person, I was to meet with three different individuals, one of which who, upon my arrival, was sick and switched out at the last minute for another person. Last-minute interview with the first two individuals from the Contracts department went decently, but the second interview with a manager was absolutely terrible. He seemed completely disinterested in anything I had to say, and looked like he was about to fall asleep on that spot. It didn't seem like he had even taken a single glance at my resume before I stepped into the room. After barely asking me any questions, we concluded the interview. After not hearing back for two weeks from the recruiter, I followed up. I was informed that they were still reviewing candidates and determining next steps. After this communication, they never bothered to give me any further updates. Given that I was applying out of state and had gone through the trouble of traveling several hours to that interview, I found it rather unprofessional that a potential candidate be treated this way.

Interview Questions

• What sort of experience do you have working in Contracts?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Strictly Behavioral. I was asked about experiences related to my resume. Additionally, I was asked about classes I was taking this semester and how I felt about them. I was also asked about what I thought the Business Analyst position was going to be like, based on research I was expected to do going in to the interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time where you have worked on a team and how you handled the work.   Answer Question

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website. They contacted me about 10 days later for a phone interview with one of their staff. The staff person was nice but HR was disorganized, to say the least. For the phone interview, I had at one point 3 different people sending me emails trying to schedule me. I was then invited in for an in-person interview. Again, the 2 staff I met with were really nice, and I thought we got along well. The HR scheduling process for that interview was also disorganized. I was pre-scheduled for an interview during morning business hours (I am still employed elsewhere). When I wrote back to HR to propose some alternative times in the coming weeks, they were inflexible and scheduled me for that same morning time slot, 2 weeks later. They also told me that someone in HR would meet me before my interview and show me to where I would be interviewed. No one from HR showed up, and I was greeted directly by the staff member. I followed up at least twice via email with my HR contacts regarding the status of my application, but no one paid me the courtesy of actually responding. I work at a competitor of ICF's and was, up until this experience, quite interested in working at this company.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years, Discuss your experience with various technical platforms, Discuss your project management experience.   Answer Question

Environmental Scientist/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

A week after applying online, I was briefly screened by Recruiter on the phone about my background/resume. Then had phone interviews with two people on the team, which lasted ~30 minutes each. I was then asked to come in for an in-person interview (Fairfax, VA). I was emailed instructions and a schedule of who I would be meeting with (5 people, 30 minutes each, for a total of 2.5 hours). It was a mix of mid- and high-level staff, and a few worked remotely so I spoke to them on the phone. Some were more casual and just spoke about the position, others asked me more technical or behavioral questions. Recruiter said they would "let me know either way" and I got a call a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a presentation you gave. (Has anything ever gone wrong during a presentation?)   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

I was contacted by email about a week after applying to set up a phone interview. I then was invited for an in-person interview in Fairfax. Everyone at the interview session was very friendly.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

After an initial phone screening with the hiring manager I was invited for an onsite interview. I met with 5 members of the team for 30 minutes each. This was followed by a 45 minute writing assessment. This is an intimidating process on its surface, but the interviews were not very difficult or challenging. I ultimately did not get the position, but this was probably for the best, as I don't think I was a good fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• Why ICF?
      Why are you leaving your current position?
      How do you approach a research project?   Answer Question

IT Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Very long and time consuming. Interviewed with 9 different members of the team. Never provided final feedback or status. Position was recently re-posted on Indeed. I got the feeling the company has a serious lack of communication. Given the roll its not a surprise a typical positions takes 40 business days to close. Overall the team was nice but disappointed with process and lack of communication.

Interview Questions

• How can we waste your time today?
      Are you available for 4 phone interviews and 5 in-person interviews with no feedback after?   1 Answer

Junior Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I had an initial interview on my college campus. Then I had 3 onsite interviews lasting 30 minutes each pretty much focused on past experiences and a couple of technical questions. Therefore i somewhat repeated myself through each of the interviews. All of my interviewers were kind and made me feel comfortable.